• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

is it anxiety or what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon79

Mar 11, 2005
Milan, Italy-Diocese of Europe.
✟257.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I cant really figure it out; when i'm in some places with ppl i know well i'm getting very very nervous if i feel i'm in a condition where i feel somehow "trapped". For instance in the Church i need to sit on the outside of the pew, not inside "trapped" by other people, so that i feel that if i wanted, for every reason dunno head spinning (sometimes it happens to me when i cant sleep much due to my insomnia) i could go out for just a while. Thats it i start sweating and cant concentrate if i feel trapped, if i know i cant reach the exit and may be doing a bad figure in front of the ppl i know. When i go down to the underground i dont have any prob at all, because i know that if i wanted i could get out at every stop and then i'm there with ppl i dont know so i dont care, thats the reason i think that my problem is not claustrophobia....can you give me any help pls? Thanks.

P

perfection

It's so strange you find yourself claustrophobic at church, because you know they are usually very very big, and the door is always open :).

You can always go in and you can always go out. You are human being yourself, so why are you afraid of them. I think it's basically just a survival instinct, but really as long as there is no war with bombs falling from the sky why would you feel that you have to escape so quickly to somewhere where you are safe. It's been going good all your life, and your still alive today.

Upvote 0

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I get a similar trapped feeling in church. For me it's a social anxiety thing. If I sit on the inside of the pew so there's wall on one side and people on the other then I can't leave the church asap after the service has finished. Which is what I do to avoid talking to people. So sitting between the wall and people makes me anxious because I know it's likely they'll start a conversation.

Upvote 0

paulus7

Mar 10, 2005
metro Boston
✟184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
of a similar one I had a year or so back, when I was trying to serve in a large group. Suddenly I experiences similar symptoms, which were later diagnosed as a panic attack. I've since had about two more under similar conditions. I am not a therapist or licensed medical practitioner, so please consider seeing someone professional. This can be treated with a variety of modalities. My prayer is for your personal peace.

With His blessing,
Paulus7

Upvote 0

Angieh

Oct 18, 2004
✟15,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I too get those trapped feelings.. Yes, even in church... Sitting on the end near a window makes me feel somewhat better... It's not as bad as it used to be... Have you gone to the dr??? They can teach you how to manage yourself when these feelings overtake you... It sounds like a social anxiety thing.... I'll be praying for you....
In Christ,
Angie

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.