Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ray, hopefully these verses/passages will help answer your question. If you don't mind me asking, did the insult you received involve the faith in some way, or was it simply personal? Thanks!

Matthew 5
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.
12 “Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

16 “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.’
39 “But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.
40 “If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.
41 “Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two.
42 “Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

Ephesians 4
29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.

James 1
19 Let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;
20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.

1 Peter 3
8 To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit;
9 not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.
Perhaps a couple of good questions to ask yourself before responding to another person are these:

1) Will my words bring glory to God?
2) Will my words edify/give grace to the person/persons I am speaking/writing to?

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - remember that the way others choose to treat us should have no bearing on the way we, as Christians, choose to treat them (even .. or perhaps especially .. when they are choosing to treat us terribly). We belong to Christ, and He taught us saying:

Matthew 7
12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them:

Just because people insult us does not mean we should return the insult with an insult, but we should return it with love.
Romans 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Also you should ask a mod to move this thread to an appropriate forum.
This is the >Memorials & Grief Support forum.

Upvote 0