Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Can someone provide a description of heaven that isn't simile or metaphor?

I'm sure they could, but it would be so much literalist nonsense.

One of my favorite descriptions that I saw floating around the Orthodox subforum a while ago was that "heaven" is being a droplet of water in the goblet of rich wine that is God himself. Wish I could find it again, as I'm probably butchering it.

I view heaven as being in God's presence and... not cringing, I suppose. Being receptive. Being truly oneself. I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of eternal bodily life, but if that's really in the cards, I suppose it'll make more sense on the other side.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

One of my favorite descriptions that I saw floating around the Orthodox subforum a while ago was that "heaven" is being a droplet of water in the goblet of rich wine that is God himself. Wish I could find it again, as I'm probably butchering it.

I view heaven as being in God's presence and... not cringing, I suppose. Being receptive. Being truly oneself. I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of eternal bodily life, but if that's really in the cards, I suppose it'll make more sense on the other side.
You cutting my wine with water???

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's probably not possible.

I remember when I was a Pureland Buddhist and when people tried to explain the Pureland it wasn't possible as words wouldn't make it sound that interesting. If someone gave a perfect description of the Christian heaven in human words, it may not even sound that appealing to Christians, let alone non-Christians.
I kind of wish I left this thread open to descriptions on all religion's afterlife. Might have been a really cool discussion.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

(In all seriousness if you do find it feel free to share it this thread has been interesting so far and I've gotten some good responses.)

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
It seems to me a lot of the ideas I hear about what the Christian haven will be like seems generally unappealing to me. I've heard it as place to sing praise and become one with God (which sounds horrible), I've heard it as a place where all sin is removed and we can live forever with our loved ones. But if you removed all your sinful desires will you even be the same person anymore. Sounds like living for eternity as a tree or robot not something I really want. Heck forever is a really long time would you ever want to live forever?
What are some of your thoughts? or what are some of your ideas of how the Christian heaven is like.
The Christian heaven sounds like it would be an eternity of monotonous suffering, to me.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
It seems to me a lot of the ideas I hear about what the Christian haven will be like seems generally unappealing to me. I've heard it as place to sing praise and become one with God (which sounds horrible), I've heard it as a place where all sin is removed and we can live forever with our loved ones. But if you removed all your sinful desires will you even be the same person anymore. Sounds like living for eternity as a tree or robot not something I really want. Heck forever is a really long time would you ever want to live forever?
What are some of your thoughts? or what are some of your ideas of how the Christian heaven is like.

Suicide bombers must think heaven is a desirable place.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It seems to me a lot of the ideas I hear about what the Christian haven will be like seems generally unappealing to me.
It is overall unappealing to those who love the world, or the things of the world.
This has not changed in thousands of years.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
It is notable that different Christian groups have very different views of afterlife with God. For example, the LDS view is very different and doesn't involve harping.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
heaven is a place of mind and desire rooted in the divine goodness which is reality itself, the more one partakes of reality the more one exist. hell is a deadening of such things which means evil is inferior ways of being. the chief law in heaven is love.

to some angels this earth is hell. to demons earth is heaven.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I kind of wish I left this thread open to descriptions on all religion's afterlife. Might have been a really cool discussion.

Many Neopagans believe in the concept of the Summerlands. Imagine that after you die, you go to the biggest, most extravagant, summer BBQ block party ever and raise that to the 13th power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
More similar to when you're dreaming or when you're with somebody
you really want to be with. Time just seems to stop.
Well, initially you postulated the absence of time. The "seems to" makes a huge difference.
Btw. even when I am with people I really love, time doesn´t seem to stop. Rather, it seems to fly.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Is that why 75% of the planet is covered in salty, undrinkable water and renders the area uninhabitable by humans? And he doesn't care how much we pollute the water that we can actually use?

You're unyielding loyalty based only on faith?

The ocean on the earth witnesses the power of God. You would understand why by looking around other known planets/moons in the solar system.

No. Dog is doing that much better than human. If so, God should loves dog much more.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Can someone provide a description of heaven that isn't simile or metaphor?
If you want to describe the Grand Canyon to someone, you don't say "It's like being in an empty dish washer with your uncle"

So you want to know HOW could a human become one with God?
Pretty simple. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind.

Of course, it is hard to do as we live on the earth. But that is the way. In the Heaven, we are able to do that.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No. Dog is doing that much better than human. If so, God should loves dog much more.

Technically, God should love birds more than humans. They've been around for ~100 million years (compared to our ~200,000) and conservative estimates are that there's 7 birds for every human.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Technically, God should love birds more than humans. They've been around for ~100 million years (compared to our ~200,000) and conservative estimates are that there's 7 birds for every human.

the Bible says that God only care about one thing the most. Obviously you are giving many candidates for that with various reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

096716045f7a85425bf78103e87bfaba.jpg

We definitely cannot comprehend what will be waiting in heaven

The Glory, Power and Love of God is forever satisfying.

Because God's kingdom, fully realized and manifest in the world to come, is not the place where men seek glory for themselves, but where we live in love for others. The calling begins with "repent, the kingdom of God is near, believe the good news"

Heaven is like that. You will enjoy it.
Oh, and "time" does not exist there.

NT teaches that this life is a school and the afterlife is our true career

Given the nature of God that I know, I strongly believe, we will still have certain jobs in Heaven

God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

That sounds great to me!

the things that are known and experienced in a new body would be incomprehensible to us

we will all have some sort of job or tasks to do in Heaven

you don't age or wait a year for birthday parties when dreaming.

become one with God

the whole family united as one

"heaven" is being a droplet of water in the goblet of rich wine that is God himself

to demons earth is heaven

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Many Neopagans believe in the concept of the Summerlands. Imagine that after you die, you go to the biggest, most extravagant, summer BBQ block party ever and raise that to the 13th power.

Your explanation for it sounds pretty baller!

I've seen the idea floated that everyone's version of the summerlands will be different relative to their cosmology if they have a distinct one. I like to picture the overheavens from the Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms cosmology or even the great wheel planes variation. In those two settings, they are literally extraplanar locations but to my understanding, they would be imagery or a device for your own personal perception of the afterlife.

Though who knows, there may be no afterlife at all. Frankly I don't have enough evidence to conclude either way so I like to come up with imaginative ideas.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It is notable that different Christian groups have very different views of afterlife with God. For example, the LDS view is very different and doesn't involve harping.

No Christian view involves harping. There's a significant difference between Tom & Jerry cartoons and actual Christian theology.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Heaven for Baha'is means nearness to God... it doesn't have to be a locale or place.. could be anywhere.

Upvote 0