dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me a lot of the ideas I hear about what the Christian haven will be like seems generally unappealing to me. I've heard it as place to sing praise and become one with God (which sounds horrible), I've heard it as a place where all sin is removed and we can live forever with our loved ones. But if you removed all your sinful desires will you even be the same person anymore. Sounds like living for eternity as a tree or robot not something I really want. Heck forever is a really long time would you ever want to live forever?
What are some of your thoughts? or what are some of your ideas of how the Christian heaven is like.
Do you want to know about heaven, or about our eternal abode? There's a big misunderstanding among most people that our (Christians') eternal abode is heaven. That's not right. We will go to heaven when we die, but that's just a temporary stay. At some point in the future, God will make a new heaven and a new earth. The new earth is where we'll spend eternity.

Rev. 21:4 describes a bit of the afterlife like this: "And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

That sounds great to me!

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟650,691.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
The time I went, it was pretty nice. They have these really comfortable sofas that look like clouds you can lie on, and watch videos all day, because you don't have to work. Free wi fi and phone usage. Accomodation is the only thing you pay for, which comes out of the money you saved in the previous life. Food is sensational. Imagine your favourite pizza? Well they got these super-duper supremes that are just sensational and Heaven burgers taste well, heavenly, is probably the best word. You don't have to pray any more, which really frees up a lot of time, so you can watch more videos, which are mostly compilation best 100 movies over the last century that Earth existed. If you're a Trekkie, you will be especially pleased. I think they got like 10 000 episodes, something like that.

The only video you will be watching is the one of your passed life,
Better get the not so good bits erased now. Hoho.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Growing up I thought the same thing about heaven. The things I was told were just bizarre and mistaken. "Go to heaven" is kind of a colloquial term that I guess came about due to the idea of the Rapture. But basically we will be resurrected into a new body on a "new" earth. Music, comedy, art etc will all still be a part of life. However our new bodies entail a new experience of everything. Our new bodies will be designed for a new earth. Just as comedy might be incomprehensible to an Ant, the things that are known and experienced in a new body would be incomprehensible to us.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Growing up I thought the same thing about heaven. The things I was told were just bizarre and mistaken. "Go to heaven" is kind of a colloquial term that I guess came about due to the idea of the Rapture. But basically we will be resurrected into a new body on a "new" earth. Music, comedy, art etc will all still be a part of life. However our new bodies entail a new experience of everything. Our new bodies will be designed for a new earth. Just as comedy might be incomprehensible to an Ant, the things that are known and experienced in a new body would be incomprehensible to us.

Like how rare good comedy is. Or moral comedians.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you open minded or have you come to troll?

The mind is a receptacle for all thoughts. But if it is open too much,
people use it for scraping food off their plates after they've eaten.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Based on his creation I deem that God really Likes water.

It has unique properties that make life possible.
It's the most powerful and universal solvent there is.
It expands when it freezes unlike everything else which contracts.
The oceans would have only 4 feet of liquid otherwise.
Molecules similar to water boil 60 degrees lower or freeze 80 degrees higher.
Water has amazing surface tension and is much thicker than similar molecules.
Compounds similar to water are not liquid at room temperatures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK - to each their own.
I for one am looking forward to missing that static heaven altogether.

"Static" is not one of the attributes. One gets to explore all new creation without walking there.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rev. 21:4 describes a bit of the afterlife like this: "And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."
That sounds great to me!

Very similar to Heaven.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exploring in the absence of time? Whatever.

More similar to when you're dreaming or when you're with somebody
you really want to be with. Time just seems to stop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me a lot of the ideas I hear about what the Christian haven will be like seems generally unappealing to me. I've heard it as place to sing praise and become one with God (which sounds horrible), I've heard it as a place where all sin is removed and we can live forever with our loved ones. But if you removed all your sinful desires will you even be the same person anymore. Sounds like living for eternity as a tree or robot not something I really want. Heck forever is a really long time would you ever want to live forever?
What are some of your thoughts? or what are some of your ideas of how the Christian heaven is like.

Most of what you said about the Heaven are WRONG. The (Christian) Heaven is a good place. If you are interested, I can try to explain it to you one question at a time. Start with your first one:

To become one with God. I guess you may comprehend the meaning which says that husband wife "become one". You love her and she loves you, and all that. Isn't it a beautiful thing to happen? That is what it means. Another example is: the whole family united as one. Not that horrible, right?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Based on his creation I deem that God really Likes water.

Wrong perspective.

We like water because we need water.
God sees water a good thing which He created. But I don't think He "likes" water in particular.

Do you know what is the thing God really likes? There is only ONE.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
We like water because we need water.
God sees water a good thing which He created. But I don't think He "likes" water in particular.

Is that why 75% of the planet is covered in salty, undrinkable water and renders the area uninhabitable by humans? And he doesn't care how much we pollute the water that we can actually use?

Do you know what is the thing God really likes? There is only ONE.

You're unyielding loyalty based only on faith?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Most of what you said about the Heaven are WRONG. The (Christian) Heaven is a good place. If you are interested, I can try to explain it to you one question at a time. Start with your first one:

To become one with God. I guess you may comprehend the meaning which says that husband wife "become one". You love her and she loves you, and all that. Isn't it a beautiful thing to happen? That is what it means. Another example is: the whole family united as one. Not that horrible, right?

Can someone provide a description of heaven that isn't simile or metaphor?
If you want to describe the Grand Canyon to someone, you don't say "It's like being in an empty dish washer with your uncle"

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can someone provide a description of heaven that isn't simile or metaphor?

It's probably not possible.

I remember when I was a Pureland Buddhist and when people tried to explain the Pureland it wasn't possible as words wouldn't make it sound that interesting. If someone gave a perfect description of the Christian heaven in human words, it may not even sound that appealing to Christians, let alone non-Christians.

Upvote 0