Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Psychology is observing human behavior, it explains nothing because you need to get into the hard sciences for that. Human behavior happens due to biochemical reactions in the human mind. So, no. God is not found in merely psychology. You have to dig a bit deeper for understanding unless you go by faith.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
I struggle with what the OP means.

Does the OP mean that do we think that God is a figment of our imaginations? I'd be inclined to answer yes.

Does the OP mean that God does exist but exists in our minds, that is, our belief gave rise to an actual entity? Very few would answer yes.

Is God an entity whose entire makeup is pure mind? I would think that many Christians would subscribe to this, except perhaps those who insist that a literal reading requires God to have hands, eyes, etc.

Upvote 0

Matariki

Love the Lord with all your heart, soul and MIND
Jan 24, 2011
New Zealand
✟8,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does the OP mean that do we think that God is a figment of our imaginations?

Does the OP mean that God does exist but exists in our minds, that is, our belief gave rise to an actual entity?

Yes, both of these questions are what I meant.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
Yes, both of these questions are what I meant.

In which case, I voted yes. As an agnostic atheist, I might have voted not sure. However, it seems so improbable that any human conception of gods is correct that voting yes was a better choice for me.

ETA: I should've voted yes and no. Yes as a figment of our imaginations and no to our minds giving rise to an entity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The edit button doesn't appear to be working. For above,

ETA: I should've voted yes and no. Yes as a figment of our imaginations and no to our minds giving rise to an entity.

Aren't figments of our imaginations real entities though?

Figments of imagination do participate in causal relationships. My problem with your characterization of figments are non-entities, is that it would mean that things that don't exist interfere with causal relationships between real things. Also do you consider the USA to be a real entity and if so where does it come from other than human minds?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
Aren't figments of our imaginations real entities though?

Figments of imagination do participate in causal relationships. My problem with your characterization of figments are non-entities, is that it would mean that things that don't exist interfere with causal relationships between real things. Also do you consider the USA to be a real entity and if so where does it come from other than human minds?

Also, do you consider the USA to be a real entity and if so where does it come from other than human minds?

Good question. A thought is an entity, I suppose. But, I would say it is a thought not the thing being thought of. When someone speaks of thoughts giving rise to entities, I think of people imagining that because they can conceive of a flying, purple, people eater, then the FPPE exists. There is a distinction between thought and what is thought about.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
I should add that with respect to the question of the USA (or any nation): I would not suggest that thoughts do not have effects and affects.

As to any country, there is a physical land which has boundaries, etc. There is a physical correspondence to our thoughts.

I guess I would maintain, at minimum, that entities don't arise by thought alone.

Radically, I might venture that in actuality, the USA doesn't exist in and of itself.

But I haven't given this a whole lot of thought. I'd be interested in the thoughts of others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
E

Everlasting33

To engage in the idea of a psychological entity, there must be motivations and fulfillments met, at least to the expectation of the individual. A motive means "to cause a person to act in a certain way." Religion causes people to act in peculiar and often, ritualistic ways. The goal of these behaviors is most often the expectations of cleansing, purification, heightened spirituality between God, or a fulfillment of one's needs: security, protection, immortality, forgiveness, love, acceptance.

Based on my experiences with religion and witnessing it in the lives of others, there are numerous and beneficial psychological gains from attaching oneself to religion. That is not necessarily the problem. It is when its based on a lack of evidence of a God that it begins to be a psychological entity. But, of course, this evidence is very subjective and varying person to person.

Upvote 0