Is Getting a Massage a Sin? Should Christians Get Massages?

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I guess it would be relative to the individual getting the massage.

My wife had a co-worker who was going to massage classes and he needed to do actually massages for free to gain credits for graduation. He would come over and give both my wife and I a massage.

There was nothing sensual about it.

Upvote 0

omanid

I'm not perfect; I'm forgiven.
Jan 10, 2012
✟9,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am thinking of getting a good body massage to loosen up..

as this can be quite a sensual experience, is it a sin?

i really want to know what others think about this. thanks!

If you feel it's a sin, then it's a sin...
I, personally, don't think it is but
I wouldn't do it if I didn't believe I could handle it.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
It depends. Are you going to a massage parlour? Those places are not very wholesome or christian. A licensed masseuse however might be okay. Maybe.

For the first time in my entire life I agree with Pat on this one.

I'd get a licensed masseuse but I wouldn't go to a parlor, that's kind of shady and you're asking for a sexual experience essentially.

Upvote 0
T

TruthSeeker2012

I am thinking of getting a good body massage to loosen up..

as this can be quite a sensual experience, is it a sin?

i really want to know what others think about this. thanks!

Be honest, why are you wanting the massage? Is it in the hope of getting a beautiful girl so you can get aroused and fulfill some sort of sexual fantasy? Answer honestly, be 100% honest, what are your motives?

And would Jesus walk into such a place and ask for a massage?

Upvote 0

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
First Jesus didn't live in our day in age where there are businesses for such things. Do you recall someone did offer to wash His feet, did h
He deny that offer? No. I think massages are OK in Jesus' sight. So long as they're legit. Maybe get a recommendation first. I found 2 good masseuses I trust/prefer and I go to them every time. I don't want to scare you, but be aware of foul play. I was scheduled to go to my regular and when he had a substitute he ended up bein a major creeper... Asking personal questions, telling me one of my legs was longer than the other (umm I didn't come in for a full body evaluation!) he was also pretty rough and I told him that did not feel good. I let the front desk know I was not going to him again in the future. Be aware that getting massages you take chances of stuff like that happening. Wasn't a good experience but I expect it's not very common. Lesson of the story: stick with masseuses you're familiar with!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinkputter

May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
Stop sidestepping the question. Dont run and hide from it. If Jesus lived in 2012, would Jesus walk into a massage place and get an erotic or sensual massage? Yes or No?

Haha no ones side-stepping sweetheart. You must have missed my answer, as I did answer it and you didn't include it in your quoting.

Jesus Himself got His feet washed and annointed with oil by others. He didn't deny their service. I don't think the question is if Jesus would get an erotic massage as the OP just wants a regular massage, is that correct? If so, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. So yes, I think if someone offered Jesus a massage, He would get one. Ain't nothin wrong withat as far as I can see

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Stop sidestepping the question. Dont run and hide from it. If Jesus lived in 2012, would Jesus walk into a massage place and get an erotic or sensual massage? Yes or No?

When Jesus publicly accepted a woman anointing him with oil consider:

a) It was extremely immoral for a woman to speak to a man in public let alone a man allow her to touch him;
b) The woman had an unsavoury reputation;
c) Perfumed oils were recognised 'tools of trade' for prostitutes.

In addition, your question exhibits an unhealthy viewpoint in my opinion.

Jesus also drank wine, attended weddings (typically lasting a week and included dancing), ate with disreputable people, and enjoyed good food.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
Haha no ones side-stepping sweetheart. You must have missed my answer, as I did answer it and you didn't include it in your quoting.

Jesus Himself got His feet washed and annointed with oil by others. He didn't deny their service. I don't think the question is if Jesus would get an erotic massage as the OP just wants a regular massage, is that correct? If so, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. So yes, I think if someone offered Jesus a massage, He would get one. Ain't nothin wrong withat as far as I can see

Christ having his feet washed by a woman is absolutely nothing like getting an erotic massage, I don't even see how you can make the comparison.

Erotic/sensual massage - Gotten to feel good, to be touched by another and massage your body

Washing of feet - a sign of sheer respect and honor to revere someone

Yeah..not comparable.

Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Rock, paper, JESUS! I win!
Oct 22, 2009
Sitting on a cloud in England.
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a shame that 'sensual' seems to be equated with 'sexual' so much.

As Johnnz said, enjoying good food is a sensual experience. I've seen it defined as :
'Sensuality is an enjoyment of the pleasure we receive through our five senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch.'

Pleasure isn't always sexual. I experienced a great deal of pleasure in holding my newborn close to me and breathing in that baby smell, feeling the softness of skin and hearing those little gurgling sounds. That's an incredibly sensual experience- and I would highly insulted and offended if anyone equated it with sexuality in any way.

I understand that for some a form of prolonged body contact may be a struggling point- in which case, massage is definitely not for them.

Like Boidae's wife, I had a colleague who was training to go into massage therapy and she had to have a certain amount of case studies for her accreditation, too- so I was lucky enough to receive a free massage. (I also received foot massages on the same basis a little while later).

It was fabulous! Was it sensual? Yes. Was it sexual? Not in any way whatsoever! It was relaxing, calming, de-stressing and did wonders for my aches and pains and my skin (she mixed aromatherapy oils especially for my skin type). If I could afford a luxury like massage, I'd do it again like a shot.

As for the question about Jesus going into a massage place and getting an erotic massage- no, of course he wouldn't! Who on earth would be silly enough to argue that he would??????

Would he get a sensual massage- well, only in the way that all physical touching/ stroking is sensual- and feet being stroked and rubbed certainly comes under 'massage'. He had that from Mary- and it sure as heck wasn't erotic.

I think it's a little sad that 'massage' has immediately been lumped in with a form of prostitution (erotic massage for money with the intent on arousing and providing sexual release).

That's another thing entirely. There isn't a Christian here- (I hope not anyhow) who would condone that.

Proper massage isn't connected with those practises.

Ask any professional sportsman or woman.

Upvote 0

pinkputter

May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
Christ having his feet washed by a woman is absolutely nothing like getting an erotic massage, I don't even see how you can make the comparison.

Erotic/sensual massage - Gotten to feel good, to be touched by another and massage your body

Washing of feet - a sign of sheer respect and honor to revere someone

Yeah..not comparable.

You and TruthSeeker must be reading the same forums bec I cannot see where I said anything about Jesus and an "erotic" massage. That was something you two have both brought up, but it is not really on topic if you look at the other posts. The question is if a massage to "losen up" and de-stress is morally alright. Johnzz gave a good response about what feet washing actually was back then. When you consider how "typical" massages are in society, it's no stretch.

If you want to be legalistic about it, sure you could make anything "sinful." But the truth is, you can perverse or sanctify anything, it's all about where the heart is

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If it comes with a hand job then its not good. If its just a full body massage according to legal rules then its more relaxing than sensual. I get massages almost every few weeks. They loosen me up and make me feel happy and relaxed. I want to try a muscle relaxer to see if the feelings are akin, but I don't think my doctor will be okay with that.

I have heard odd and wondrous tales of Asian massage places but those are probably naughty rumors.

Upvote 0
D

DreamerOfHearts

How so? And what's your definition of a "full body massage?"

I was kind of being rhetorical. In general, massages at a place that is not skanky is fine. I am not aware of a massage place women would go to that is skanky. In Japan, there are a TON of clubs women go to, but the States and the West is way more sexist and barbaric.

That is Japanese Host clubs, and usually it is just about conversation, though often the women who get close to one guy or another hire them out for trips.

Women, though, can get addicted to that stuff. There was an epidemic of high school girls taking their dad's credit cards and spending enormous sums of money at such places.

Just like guys can get addicted with lap dancers and prostitutes.

I have no idea why people don't just get married. Maybe because women don't tend to do lap dances when married? Or guys don't tend to want to spend all day in conversation with their wives flattering and charming them?

Ironic how people can be sometimes.

Upvote 0

Humble Pie

Veteran
Jan 25, 2012
✟18,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As long as it's done by a professional at a beauty salon or by someone who describes themselves as working in the health field then there's nothing sinful about full body massages. I've had full body massage and they are careful to cover you with towels and work their way around your body.

Upvote 0