Is Eschatology based on the Book of Enoch like a "Flat Earth"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you considered the fact that laser light reflects off the surface of the water?

How do you imagine it doing that ? It would either bend and go all the way to bottom or bend upwards and go to sky .

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for making my point. It's smaller not because it goes over the horizon of the curved earth.
Smaller is perspective.

It's simply smaller because at the point of the flat horizon, the vanishing point causes the bottom of the hull to disappear first
The vanishing point? What's that? And howcome the bottom of dude's lighters don't disappear?

- not because of curvature.
Because of, "the vanishing point". Right. <Laugh>

I suggest you study angles and perspective.
How about if y'all just demonstrate it? If you can't support your claims, then it's probably because they're bogus.

So since God who is omniscient
He is,Isaiah wasn't.

was aware that some scribe was responsible for writing down the Word of God, God neglected or didn't bother to make it clear to the scribe just exactly what he wanted recorded in Scripturw?
Do you have any idea what He was actually talking about? Was He dictating and engineering tome?

I must admit you have a quite an imagination!
Not nough to embrace flat earth hogwash, thojgh. Thanks be to God!

You choice isn't it?
Guaranteed.

No. Again because of atmospheric density, angle and perspective you can't see the sun at such far distances.
So I can see Saturn, but not the sun, because of "atmospheric density". Right. How dense does the atmosphere need to be for it to become opaque?

You have made an apriori assumption that the planets are further away in the "solar system." The Bible states that the stars, sun and moon were placed in the firmament - not in some fairy tale outer space.
Cool, so if I can see Saturn I should be able to see the sun at the same time.

As well as the one with the lighters did?

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And just who are those who know the "truth of it?" References please? Name me just one civil engineer or surveyor who actually designed a bridge who is willing to admit that he/she accounted for the curvature of the earth when it was designed/constructed. In my research I haven't been able to find any such person(s). Perhaps your search will be more successful. And just what scientific evidence points to a spherical earth? Again, evidence please.
Moreover the Verrazano-Narrows example you cited has nothing to do with a round or flat earth. The 1-5/8 inch difference in vertical lean from top to bottom has nothing to do with curvature. It only shows the lean in the towers not the depth of the towers, so your example is irrelevant.

I am not going to name the civil engineers I know here on a public forum. But here is an explanation from somebody claiming to be a civil engineer, and as I have a professional engineer in my close family who has explained the concept to me, this person does seem to have it right.
https://www.reddit.com/r/engineerin..._medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=PSR1

I am going to guess that you cannot name a civil engineer who would say that the curvature of the Earth is NOT an issue in very large scale projects like long bridges, elevated highways, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While it's true that many roads and bridges simply follow the terrain, landscape etc
One would hope.

. It does not mean that all such routes are built upon the same conditions.
Really? They just cut and fill so that everything is just totally slick, right? Take the mountain down and use it to fill the canyon, we gotta follow the curvature of the earth.

That's ninsense, of course. Roads don't exist to follow the curve of the earth, they exist to go from one place to another.

Bridges over water are one such example.
The only example, really, and then only when they have to be supported on the bottom, and then only the supports, which have have their load centers equivalent to true vertical. You can do anything with the roadway that you like as long as you keep it in place. There's an old 19th century bridge across the Caney Fork river east of here that has a right angle turn in it, for all love! Built in horse and buggy days, they laid thing out pure from the standpoint of favorable terrain.

Water is flat and finds its lowest level.
Which is usually a point that's known in scientific terms as "the bottom".

The floor under it however will drop and keep getting deeper as one travels further in order to account for the supposed curvature of the earth.
Not a bit of it. The surface of the ocean conforms roughly to the curvature of the earth (there are other forces acting on it as well) but the bottom is as varied as the terrain above sea level. Bridge supports have to sit on the bottom, be water shallow or deep.

Thus if one were to build a bridge over a large body of water, one would have to build its pylons and support systems to account for the curve of the ocean's floor.
Not the curce of the bottom, but the terrain of the bottom. Keeeping the supports vertical is all that's necessary. If you really wanted to follow the curve of the earth, you'd put your roadway on pontoons.

We're not talking ture vertical here; we're talking length/depth.
You're basically talking gibberish here.

Where did I say depth of body of water?? The fact is the curvature of the earth has everything to do with the curvature of the ocean's floor. Do you disagree?
Precisely as much as it has to do with the terrain above sea level.

What does outer space have to do with it? You have avoided addressing my point. Do you deny the ocean's floor is curved to reflect the curvature of the earth?

Another avoidance of my question. I thought you could do better but I guess I overestimated you.

No, a turtle moves. The earth does not move if you read and believe the Bible.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Name me just one civil engineer or surveyor who actually designed a bridge who is willing to admit that he/she accounted for the curvature of the earth when it was designed/constructed.
They don't have to, beyond making sure that bridge supports have their major stress vectors along the center of gravity. That's all that needs doing.

[qupte]In my research I haven't been able to find any such person(s).[/quote] Because the question is ridiculous.

And just what scientific evidence points to a spherical earth?
All of it.

Moreover the Verrazano-Narrows example you cited has nothing to do with a round or flat earth. The 1-5/8 inch difference in vertical lean from top to bottom has nothing to do with curvature.
They just set 'em crooked, and when they tried to put 'em right the concrete had already set, right? <LAUGH>

It only shows the lean in the towers not the depth of the towers, so your example is irrelevant.
The towers aren't leaning, and nobody said anything about depth.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isn't it obvious??
Sorry, I'm not from your parallel universe.

On a geocentric model the sun simply stops is circuit and reverses direction without causing the havoc and cataclysm caused by the earth having to stop rotating at over 1,000 mpg at its equator and reversing its rotation which would have to happen in the heliocentric model.
So you're saying that God could do one and not the other. Got it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's actually easiest of the arguments to refute . Even in sphere when magnet is hot or molten it loses it's magnetic properties so earth can't have a molten magnet inside .

If earth was orbiting sun you would not be able to navigate by looking at north star .

The Earth and also all the other planets, dwarf planets, asteroid belt, etc. etc. in our solar system do orbit the sun. The reason the north star is so useful as a navigational point in the sky is because it is the one visible star that is positioned exactly over the Earth's northern pole and therefore does not change positions in the sky seasonally as all the other heavenly bodies do.

Polaris, the North Star, far from our solar system, appears stationary in the sky because it is positioned close to the line of Earth's axis projected into space. As such, it is the only bright star whose position relative to a rotating Earth does not change. All other stars appear to move opposite to the Earth's rotation beneath them.​

That our north pole and Polaris are positioned as they are could be an accident of nature. I rather think God, who is the author of all the sciences, had a hand in designing it that way though as the most ancient peoples found it useful.

Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,765.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You don't need to use Enoch to support a scriptural unmoving stationary flat earth.
Psalm 104:5
You who laid the foundations of the earth, So that it should not be moved forever,

Earth has ends
Psalm 135:7
He causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth; He makes lightning for the rain; He brings the wind out of His treasuries.

Earth 'floats' on the waters of the great deep. where did Noah's flood come from? Rain and the great deep under the earth.
Psalm 136:6
To Him who laid out the earth above the waters, For His mercy endures forever;

Earth has been set on supporting pillars.
Earth is a place not people. Some have said the 'pillars' are world leaders. That seems a stretch to me.

1 Samuel 2
“The Lord kills and makes alive;
He brings down to the grave and brings up.
7 The Lord makes poor and makes rich;
He brings low and lifts up.
8 He raises the poor from the dust
And lifts the beggar from the ash heap,
To set them among princes
And make them inherit the throne of glory.

“For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s,
And He has set the world upon them.

So then the earth is like a table with legs extending into the great deep as foundational support columns, just like a building, they drive piles into the earth.

Interpretation is what it boiled down to. You read it differently to how i read it.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟806,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Earth's rotation creates dynamic fluid motion within its molten metallic outer core, which in turn creates earth's magnetic field. The magnetic field deflects the charged particles of solar wind which would ultimately destroy the atmosphere, or essential portions of it.

A square or rectangular pancake earth would contain no spherical molten core, nor be capable of the necessary characteristic rotational motion, to generate a magnetic field. Consequently, there would ultimately be no atmosphere capable of sustaining life.

God knew what He was doing, and why, when He created a spherical spinning earth.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Polaris, the North Star, far from our solar system, appears stationary in the sky because it is positioned close to the line of Earth's axis projected into space. As such, it is the only bright star whose position relative to a rotating Earth does not change. All other stars appear to move opposite to the Earth's rotation beneath them.

Not possible in this model of universe because sun is spinning around center of milky way galaxy , you would see different stars each years .

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not possible in this model of universe because sun is spinning around center of milky way galaxy , you would see different stars each years .

Not if you have at lease a rudimentary understanding of astrophysics and how the heavenly bodies in the universe move.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like one, that on a lonely road
Doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once turn'd round, walks on
And turns no more his head:
Because he knows, a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you feel it ?
At ever increasing speed and in ever diminishing circles, but being as they're all geometric planes and have no thickness or mass. they can do whatever is it that you'd like for them to do.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
At ever increasing speed and in ever diminishing circles, but being as they're all geometric planes and have no thickness or mass. they can do whatever is it that you'd like for them to do.

Have you never wondered why do they orbit in plane and not like electrons in atom in all directions ?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.