+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Tiga Ronso said:
...snip... What do you consider "evil" in games? ...snip...
Actually I’ve only taken the position as questionable. I have the game and took it off my hard drive because the content is very occult. I never told anyone that they could not play the game. I’ve also posted scripture that deals with some of the aspects of the game. I’m not advocating prohibition or something. Actually I’m trying to discern if my position is not extreme enough.

This thread has to do with a Christian that has a Mother that holds this game in question. I view her as wise for taking such a position. Her Son has come to ask our opinion if this is right with God concerning playing this game Diablo. That is a good thing. Many Christians have provided him with insight from their views of scripture and that’s fine. Non-Christians have expressed their view that the game is fine for a Christian to play… well they have the right here to voice their opinion concerning this game but I can also let them know just what they are speaking from. This has to deal with the subject of someone’s spiritual walk with the Lord, and I see nothing wrong with pointing out that their judgment towards spiritual things is flawed. I’m not stopping them from voicing their opinion on these forums and I would not want to if I could.

And yes I absolutely agree that if His Mother says not to play the game that he should obey. I must point out that He did not say that she told him not to play it any more.

Oh and don’t add emotion to “I speak of the things my Father God has taught me, what do you speak and who taught you?” as if it was not a sincere question for I was asking it sincerely. I was adopted as a child of God and God is my Father now. I was not born into this family from my Mothers womb. Unsaved people are not children of God nor is God their Father. Don’t forget that Diablo is the god of this world and that we are citizens of Heaven.

Upvote 0

Raterus

He Slices! He Dices!
Sep 2, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟15,670.00
Faith
Christian
Armed2010 provides an excellent example of why you shouldn't play Diablo 2.

See he wants you to play it, he wants you to think it's innocent, that it is just a game, there is no evil in it at all. But you know, Armed is not a Christian, armed does not understand Christians, but that is ok, he is not supposed to.

If there is any question about it, you should not do it, especially when non-christians entice you to join in also.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Proverbs 1

Warning Against Enticement
8 Listen, my son, to your father's instruction
and do not forsake your mother's teaching.
9 They will be a garland to grace your head
and a chain to adorn your neck.

10 My son, if sinners entice you,
do not give in to them.
11 If they say, "Come along with us;
let's lie in wait for someone's blood,
let's waylay some harmless soul;
12 let's swallow them alive, like the grave, [1]
and whole, like those who go down to the pit;
13 we will get all sorts of valuable things
and fill our houses with plunder;
14 throw in your lot with us,
and we will share a common purse"-
15 my son, do not go along with them,
do not set foot on their paths;
16 for their feet rush into sin,
they are swift to shed blood.
17 How useless to spread a net
in full view of all the birds!
18 These men lie in wait for their own blood;
they waylay only themselves!
19 Such is the end of all who go after ill-gotten gain;
it takes away the lives of those who get it.

--Michael

Reactions: Divvy
Upvote 0

Divvy

Nov 24, 2003
✟15,256.00
Faith
Protestant
I have the same problem with several games I own, I've used to play several betas of different MMORPGs online. I never tought much of it till recently. (well that's not exactly the truth, it's always been bothering me but I've tried to push away those toughts)

I find RPGs are the most addictive games around, they aren't exactly THAT great fun to play... but still you just can't put them down. Almost makes one wonder...

One such game although not exatly an RPG is Warcraft III, innocent or? Well I want to believe it's perfectly OK to play warcraft 3. But my conscience says no. Like would I want to sit here and play a game where Im summoning skeletons and controlling demons if for example jesus was watching me (...which I guess... he is)

Im not a very "educated"... christian... sometimes I don't even know if I can call myself a christian. (I've never completly read through the bible, I get bored after a certain number of chapters and then a few months later I start over from the beginning DOH!)

My oppinion of this matter, if you TRUELY consider yourself a christian and belive the bible is the truth. Why on earth would you belive what non-christians say regarding how you should live YOUR life?!?

I definately think playing diable 2 is wrong, likevice any games that contain occult. I also think playing warcraft 3 is wrong, infact if I asked whether it's ok or not to play warcraft 3 and people in a christian forum told me "yea it's ok no problem", I'd be very disappointed. Cause my hearth tells me it's wrong.

Don't agree with it being ok for non-christians to play diablo 2 either, but hey if they think the bible is a fairy tale what can you do? TO THEM, it's much like asking you to believe in santa claus (well they probably think that's more believable :sigh: ).

...there probably are few games that are perfectly innocent, but personally Im gonna stick to titles like.

Total Annihilation - and old RTS but still one of the bests.
Starcraft over Warcraft 3... hope blizzard makes Starcraft 2 soon...
Although I was looking forward to World of Warcraft I think not...
Half-life 2 maybe, definatly HL2 over Quake 3, I've steared clear of the Quake series their packed with all manners of horrible demons/beasts.

Kinda funny that I've avoided the Quake series for years, cause there were some satanic symbols in quake 1... yet I haven't tought twice about playing Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter nights etc...:(

My first post btw...:wave:... sorry for rambling on so much... have a bit of trouble staying on topic :D

Upvote 0

Ajnin

Here's looking at you.
Jul 12, 2002
From WCW Special Forces
Visit site
✟15,573.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Listen to your parents. Besides Diablo's not really as much fun to play now that patch v 1.10 has been released.

And for all of you recommending that he have nothing to do with Diablo due to it's references to the occult, wouldn't that also exclude the bible according to most definitions of occult?

Upvote 0

Raterus

He Slices! He Dices!
Sep 2, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟15,670.00
Faith
Christian
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Of course, I'm a child of the Devil so it doesn't matter what I say does it? Naturally I'm here to corrupt you and destroy your faith so... *shrug*
:cry: Mylinkay Asdara, who dare say that about you? That certainly doesn't make christians look good.

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Mylinkay Asdara said:
I say listen to your parents.
Of course, I'm a child of the Devil so it doesn't matter what I say does it? Naturally I'm here to corrupt you and destroy your faith so... *shrug*
Of course we care about you and what you have to say. I have friends in my regular life that are not Christians and some are even witches, warlocks, Muslims, @’s among other faiths. We get along very well and I care much for them. I’m a warm person even though reading my capsulated typed out words in a forum seems cold.

Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Raterus said:
Armed2010 provides an excellent example of why you shouldn't play Diablo 2.

See he wants you to play it, he wants you to think it's innocent, that it is just a game, there is no evil in it at all. But you know, Armed is not a Christian, armed does not understand Christians, but that is ok, he is not supposed to.

I used to be a christian dude, so dont assume im ignorant as to what the religion teaches. What your doing reminds me of the salem witch trials, your trying to find evil everywhere, even when there is none. Your being overzealous in the condemnation of a simple game and a fictional story. I also fail to see how my failure to see any "evil" within this game, constitutes a good example of why you shouldnt play it.

If there is any question about it, you should not do it, especially when non-christians entice you to join in also.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: wow, the ignorance is amazing. Well, I am merely a child of diablo, so ya, ofcourse id try to get you to do bad things and such :p

Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Durelen said:
It’s just the truth.

In your own opinion ;)

You are either for him or against him.

Im neither. How am I going to be against something that I dont even believe exists? You might as well say im against Iggy the Magical Leprechaun

You are either a child of God or a tool of the Devil.

Ya, right. When not spreading the word of satan, im sacraficing chickens on my altar :rolleyes:

There is no middle ground. The words I used that from, and referenced, are written in red (john 8).
I don’t see a great offence as you make it out to be at least form the standpoint of the truth.

The thing is dude, even if it is in your bible, bringing that quote out was entirely inappropriate. We are saying theres nothing wrong with the game, and then you call us the spawn of satan. Surely there was a better way to put it?

You seem to make these words out as hate when they are not.

Ya, calling someone a child of satan isnt hateful at all :rolleyes:

If Jesus taught these things and was full of hateful words as those then why did he die for the lost of the world?

Thats probably up to your own opinions ;)

Should I work up the unsaved into a false feeling of salvation? All is well? I think not! If you don’t repent of your sins and follow Jesus you put yourself in Hell.

Ya, go to hell for eternity for simply not subscribing to one religion out of many. Its not like im a bad person or anything, I merely lack a religious faith :p Such a fair and righteous god he is, making sure heathen scum like me cant harm any of you obviously superior people. Ghandi and Albert Einstein are in hell, I wonder what other great people live there also?

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
armed2010 said:
Ya, go to hell for eternity for simply not subscribing to one religion out of many. Its not like im a bad person or anything, I merely lack a religious faith :p Such a fair and righteous god he is, making sure heathen scum like me cant harm any of you obviously superior people. Ghandi and Albert Einstein are in hell, I wonder what other great people live there also?
Don't look now but you seem to have a Demon over your sholder whispering in your ear. He is telling you what to think and how to accuse. Repent from your life of sin and follow Jesus so he can keep you from those Demons and give you eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Durelen said:
Don't look now but you seem to have a Demon over your sholder whispering in your ear. He is telling you what to think and how to accuse. Repent from your life of sin and follow Jesus so he can keep you from those Demons and give you eternal life.
If christians like you are in heaven, I think hell would be a more enjoyable place for me.

Upvote 0
Stop, Please Stop! It was a simple question about the game, I did not mean for it to tear any relationships! Please, Durelen, cool it. You seem to be action to zealously and that is great but the bible teaches us that the only thing you can do to a person is plant the seed, not shove it down the throat or try and water it. As a christian what I am seeing here is definetely very worse than the game would ever be. And ARmed, thankyou for all of the post and please don't take offense, I know that things were said that were hateful ,but please, don't get all upset. As christians we love you, not hate you, some people tend to get carried away. I am sorry for anything that was said. To everyone, I thankyou for all of the advice, my parents have left the descision up to me and I will make it, anymore advice would still be nice, but no more attacks on others or anything of the sort. Thanx a bunch
-Jesus freak

• Friendly
Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
jesusfreak407 said:
Stop, Please Stop! It was a simple question about the game, I did not mean for it to tear any relationships! Please, Durelen, cool it. You seem to be action to zealously and that is great but the bible teaches us that the only thing you can do to a person is plant the seed, not shove it down the throat or try and water it. As a christian what I am seeing here is definetely very worse than the game would ever be. And ARmed, thankyou for all of the post and please don't take offense, I know that things were said that were hateful ,but please, don't get all upset. As christians we love you, not hate you, some people tend to get carried away. I am sorry for anything that was said. To everyone, I thankyou for all of the advice, my parents have left the descision up to me and I will make it, anymore advice would still be nice, but no more attacks on others or anything of the sort. Thanx a bunch
-Jesus freak
Ok, your probably right. Im glad we were able to help you with your decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oh and in regards to being called a zealot or extremist here… I don’t deny that I am a zealot. In fact I attended seminary, go on short term missionary trips, have repaired the roof on an orphanage for free, personally sent shipments of bibles to Russia just after the declaration of glasnosts, have personally taken food and supplies to orphanages in other countries, have been full time church employee, taken groups out street witnessing and many other things in the name of Jesus. In some countries I could be put to death for these things and some day I may. Yes, I am a zealot. Just wanted to make that fact sure.

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was called a zealot and extremist and I full agree. Amen! I presented some of the facts and they are the truth. I'm guilty, I've been caught. I see the posts of other zealots here as well.

I'm not sad for those that are not Zealots or extremists but for those that may not be. I also feel sad for the unsaved for they may go to Hell and not bask in the love of God forever. God loves them and wants them to repent and follow Him. If they don't they put themselves in Hell as Jesus taught. In fact Jesus warned the unsaved concerning Hell far more than he ever taught about heaven. The gamae Diablo will not exist in either place.

Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Durelen said:
I was called a zealot and extremist and I full agree. Amen! I presented some of the facts and they are the truth. I'm guilty, I've been caught. I see the posts of other zealots here as well.

I'm not sad for those that are not Zealots or extremists but for those that may not be. I also feel sad for the unsaved for they may go to Hell and not bask in the love of God forever. God loves them and wants them to repent and follow Him. If they don't they put themselves in Hell as Jesus taught. In fact Jesus warned the unsaved concerning Hell far more than he ever taught about heaven. The gamae Diablo will not exist in either place.
Ya, bask in the glory of a god who sends people to an eternal hell for merely not subscribing to his religion out of all the other religions. Really sounds like a god that I want to worship :rolleyes:

Upvote 0