Is Diablo 2 okay to play for christians

Dracil said:
Are you actually saying you're against the social justice? That you don't care about the homeless, the poor?

Of course not!

Dracil said:
I guess perhaps for you it may be impossible. But some of us are capable of loving God while playing Diablo 2. It doesn't mean that either of us loves God any less.

True

Dracil said:
A good chapter you might wanna read is Romans 14. If you don't wanna play, don't play. It's not like we're forcing you to play Diablo 2.

Very good scripture indeed;

Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

Romans 14:13-18

But we're not talking about food here or stumbling blocks for our brethren. We're talking about a game that glorifies all that the Word Condemns.

I'm not judging anyone who plays Diablo2, I'm simply stating it's content is contrary to the Word and therefore potentially harmful.

Follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, line it up with the Word and you can't go wrong :clap:

idle

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course not!
Then why'd you roll your eyes at me? :scratch:

But we're not talking about food here or stumbling blocks for our brethren.
Au contraire, it is a stumbling block to some. You even said so yourself when you say it's "potentially harmful". To some of us, it will hurt our faith. To the rest of us, it isn't a stumbling block at all. And the talk of food is not really that different. As Romans 14 shows, some people think that some food is evil (just as some people think that Diablo 2 is evil). But some people think that not all food is evil (just as some people think that Diablo 2 is not evil). But only the former is condemned if they play the game or eat the food, because it is going against their faith.

We're talking about a game that glorifies all that the Word Condemns.
But it doesn't glorify all that the Word condemns. To prove your statement by the way, will require listing every single thing in the Bible that is condemened, and showing that not only does it exist in the game, it is also glorified.

I'm not judging anyone who plays Diablo2, I'm simply stating it's content is contrary to the Word and therefore potentially harmful.

Follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, line it up with the Word and you can't go wrong
And we're saying it's not as bad as you think. It's like the food. So yes, I agree that it can be "potentially harmful," just as eating meat can be "potentially harmful" to some Christians. But that is up to each individual Christian to decide for his or herself, as it's specific to each individual's faith. :) The game itself is as unclean as the food is to the Christians in the passage (and you might notice the passage says the food is not unclean, except to those who think it is).

Upvote 0
The potential for this to spiral out of control into a full blown doctrinal/religious/socialogical, 'feast of ideas' :D is great.

I understand your position and I'd only like to add one thing, which takes us back to the original posters question.

If Mom is saying she's a little leary of your playing D2 and is worried for you, just give it up.

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise--"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."

Matt. 6:1-3

idle

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, there's something to be said for honoring one's mother and father, but... that raises another question.

What was she doing getting the original poster the game in the first place? :p The game IS rated as Mature (17+) after all...

Upvote 0
Dracil said:
What was she doing getting the original poster the game in the first place? :p The game IS rated as Mature (17+) after all...

Now that's a good question, nonetheless, just a verse down from the honor your mother and father Paul writes:

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free.

Eph. 6:5-8

Lord knows, especially for teens with raging hormones, that this isn't an easy thing to do, but we have to try. :D

And on that note, I must confess here that I was in no way a model son. My earthly days should be severly limited for what I've put my poor parents through. :cry:

idle

Upvote 0

Felron

Jan 8, 2004
Victoria, British Columbia
✟820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally think this game is fine, but if your moter doesn't like it mabey you should try another game? i would suggest everquest or neverwinter nights.

many people i know dont like the game and i can uderstand why, necromacers call summon deamons to fight for them, lots of questionable content, but you could just play as a palidin if you are that worried about it.

but probobly the best thing to do would be to pray about it, and ask the lord what to do.

Upvote 0

Ignissus

Aug 15, 2021
Tulsa
✟8,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 8:43Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.

If that was against rules then CF will need to start banning sound doctrine. I speak of the things my Father God has taught me, what do you speak and who taught you?

I have read some of these posts, but this one here specifically could not go unanswered. First of all, NO ONE has any right to wield those specific words of judgement except the LORD Jesus Christ, Himself. Jesus Christ is very serious when He says, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." direct reference:

Matthew 7:1-5 "Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye"

So that is the baseline. Here is the background of that verse you shared on Judgment. I am not going to do all the work for you in this research, but it is important to understand what the given scripture verse is referring to. If you want clues on how to find the information I am about to tell you about, look up Dr. Michael S, Heiser, a very well-known scholar of the nuances of the obscure parts of the Bible.

I will make this short: On the John 8:43 passage, Jesus Christ was addressing the impure hybrids of the day. These were not fully human people. They were the people who were the offspring of the Genesis 6 "giants" who were born of the "sons of God" when they mated with the daughters of men. These people were the ones whom David went on a massive crusade to wipe from the land. Remember Goliath?? He was not fully human. He was one of these hybrids. It is EXTREMELY important to know the context and historical background of a biblical text BEFORE slinging it at people as a weapon. Did you know that the Word is sharper than a two edged sword? If you are cutting up your brother, you are cutting up yourself too.

Next. Jesus is Judge. End of story. We are not to condemn, but to edify and encourage our brothers. Sometimes, admonition is called for, like I am doing now. I am not being prideful, but I am very upset at the irresponsible "use" of the Holy Scriptures.

I try to ask myself if I belong on the judgment seat of Christ or if Jesus does, before I start judging people, much less call them a "child of the devil." Obviously, Jesus belongs in the judgement seat now and forever. He is forever praised. Amen.

In that passage that was given, Jesus said to this same group of people who were trying to stone him, "You are gods." Why would He say that. Humans are not gods, are we? But the hybrid people found in Genesis 6, "the Men of ancient lore" were. This is where the ancients get much of their mythologies. They were evil, because the sons of god were the fallen angels who left the Council of Heaven when Lucifer fell and became satan. These are the fallen angels found in the Book of Jude. I am going to give you one last scripture verse to look through and study. I pray that those who have been hurt by this judgment of this last person's post would find consolation to know that we, as humans have a fallen nature, but we are born into the family of Christ through the atonement in Christ's blood. He died was buried, and rose again on the third day and ascended to Heaven to redeem those under the law of sin and death by faith though grace; and not by any works of our own, lest anyone should boast.

Jude 1:4-7 "4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. 5 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not. 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. 7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them, in like manner giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."

Paul says, "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible, but I will not be mastered by anything." 1:Corinthians 8

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Jud 4–7). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Mt 7). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Upvote 0

Sebastian154

Aug 24, 2021
Florida
✟15,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It's just a video game. I wouldn't worry about it. The fact that you're worried about it leads me to believe that you have a mature, discerning mind and can tell video games from reality. What becomes a problem, is when those video games start to impact the way that you see the world and think about your faith and this goes for all entertainment: music, movies, and books as well.

I play the original DOOM. The premise of the game is very violent, but I don't want to go out and start shooting people or things with a pump-action shotgun. Unlike the Columbine killers, I realize that it's just a computer program that was made to give people something to do when they have nothing better to do and I look at all video games like that. I play stuff like Street Fighter too and it doesn't make me want to go out and fist fight people. Chrono Trigger doesn't make me want to travel through time and cast lightning spells to defeat robots, see where I am going with this?

Upvote 0

IgnissusIgnissium

Jan 3, 2023
Tulsa
✟7,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What did you think of those two biblical passages I quoted in a previous post? If you separated the magic from the game and held it up to the light of scripture how would it hold up?

I often debate in my mind how far does a game need to go in presenting magic before it crosses some line and is deemed offensive to God. Can it be possible that even a little magic represented in a game can be too much? How about a book? Even Tolkien was oh so careful how he presented magic in his visionary world. Yet looking at how magic is portrayed in such works as the LOTR books compared to a game like Diablo 2, which really was made with no prohibitions towards the occult, is strikingly different.
I’m sorry, but you lost me when you mentioned Tolkien. You obviously have not read much Tolkien. “The Silmarillion” And “Baren and Luthién” have DEEP and DARK evil, mentioning the Fires of Hell and Demons and Balrogs all throughout. This list of yours about Tolkien reminds me of how light, love, and Truth can and does shine brighter than any shadow of evil. Not to be offensive or rude, but I think your idea and concept of God is far too small and tame. Who nothing in scripture says that God cannot look on evil. God looked on evil as the incarnate only begotten Son if God!! And He destroyed it by defending into Hell to bury the sins of mankind. Then He rose again on the third day, making an eternal and transcendant mockery of His enemies. The principalities and demonic forces were eternally destroyed by the cross of Calvary. Play Diablo 2 Resurrected, and celebrate the fact that the REAL God, YHVH, is not afraid to walk through the fire with us. Just okay the Paladin, Amazon, ir Barbarian, and challenge yourself by only allowing yourself to play the same amount of D2 as you read Holy Scriptures each day. And do not neglect taking care of orphans and widows. Quit straining out the gnat and swallowing the camel. And don’t judge people as though you have any real concept of the utter holiness of almighty God. I guarantee you that no human other than Jesus - who is fully God and fully man - can even begin to approach comprehension of God’s holiness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HumbleKnight

Mar 3, 2023
Edmonton
✟15,612.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Single
I laugh at all the protestant replies on here, claiming that such a satanic game is "alright" and that none of the themes or imagery matters. This is why Western Christianity is fake and apostate, none of it matters because you have false preachers like John MacArthur claiming that you can be saved by faith alone and that nothing else is required of you. So any degenerate off the street can claim "Oh yeah, I believe in Jesus!" and go about their merry way sinning anyway they'd like. Sodomy, fornication, drug use, hedonistic desire. It's all bought and paid for!.

Protestantism is a get out of jail free card, or so they claim. Therefore Diablo is alright!, nothing in the game matters!, it doesn't affect me because "I BELIEVE IN JESUS!". It is a mockery of True Christianity.

Upvote 0

fleurieu

Apr 21, 2023
Adelaide
✟7,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I
My mom is kind of getting worried that Diablo 2 is "taking me over" and that it is satanic and I shouldn't be playing it. I say that the basic concept of the game is christian. You are good, working with angels fighting demons. Yes if you are not a strong christian I could see how this effects you, But i am strong and read my bible and feel that this game is not influencing my life. I just need some feed back so plz respond.
F you are a Christian, especially a strong Christian as you say you are you will respect your mother and honour her. By your actions. Also you will not want to cause distress to your dear mother

Upvote 0