Is Diablo 2 okay to play for christians

Well, for me, when I play the game, I imagine that my character is an angel, and that it is fighting the demons. God gives power to the angels, even if it is shooting a fireball, we don't know we can't watch angels fight, I feel that as long as I look at the game this way, it should be okay. And even if the game was not intended to be like this, I can look at it that way. Heck, I have seen people look at matrix in a Christian way, doesn't mean that it is, but if you look at it like that, It kind of works. Also, for me, I know when I am doing something wrong, for example if I lie to my parents I can feel it in my gut and I want to be free of it. I don't feel like that with this game, when I play it doesn't effect me at all. And usually after I play the game, I read my bible because I am about to go to bed, I pray and I don't feel guilty or anything like that. I would know if I felt that way, and I don't.

Upvote 0

Noddingdog

Noderator
Jan 25, 2003
Noddingdogsville
Visit site
✟17,417.00
Faith
Christian
Since the name diablo means "devil" in Spanish...
What do you personally feel is right? Maybe a little research elsewhere on the Net could help you?
No-one is perfect, but staying away from games that are obviously connected directly with evil would definitely be a good idea, IMO.

Upvote 0

antigoat

Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,839.00
Faith
diablo2 is simply a game. If you know what you believe and live your life the way you think you should, you're fine. Remember, we are talking about God here. If anyone is able to understand, I think (he) can. Besides, in the game you are fighting diablo and his legions, right? So that makes you against him, right?

Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
How is the game " connected directly with evil "? Its a fictional story game made by computer game developers for the purpose of entertainment. Your put in a role where your main goal is to destroy the devil. You play the game, go through the story, finish, wow that was fun, the end. You dont learn how to control the occult, contact satan, etc, playing this game.

Upvote 0

Tiga Ronso

Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
✟7,834.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Although I have never played Diablo or Diablo 2 before, I can say from your opinions that it is just a game. Especially if you fight against Satan. Sure you use magic to fight him, but you fight him nonetheless. I think that some people are turned off by box art and titles, that they automatically assume what it is. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Upvote 0
i was an avid player of this game from the beta days of diablo 2 up until about 3 years ago. though they are works of art from the imagination of an artist, creatures and concepts in this game are representations of demons and demoinc forces (absolutley inspired by such). the goal of this game is not to "defeat satan" it attempts to bind him in the end using a crystal if im not mistaken.... riiiight.... because we all know that outside of christ that could happen. If the developers of the game knew anything about what they were dealing with would make a charectar called "common man" that goes around saying the name "jesus" because that alone is more than any "spell" or "rare magic sword" could ever do;

Luke 10:17 - The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name."

James 2:19 - You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that–and shudder.

this game i agree is a game set in a "distant" land in another "fantasy" realm where the trials of our lives do not exist, only the trials of the player, but guess what? those that play the game DO (beleive it or not)live in the real realm God himself created for humans, and because of that are subject to the demonic windows that are opened by playing it.

You may say that nothing is changed about your spiriuality or your veiws on anything. but thinking you "arnt" or "havent" been influenced doesnt mean poo. The fact is that Satan is the destroyer, and he uses everything he can to get to anyone possible. This game subjects you to several ungodly things (in fact i think after playing it a few times over the only God inspired thing in there is an archangel, but even then it gives no tribute to his origin). Several magical works (dead raising, spells, runeic enhancements, body metamorphisis) are done in the game by the heroes and otherwise, not 1 thing in the name of Jesus.

There is only 2 powers ... one of them Jesus... one of them not. Though everything Satan can do is an infinately less powerfull mock of something God created for beauty, Satans power is still something FAR more powerfull we can imagine, so do not take it lightly.

i know from experiance what i am describing to you all
small windows lead to gaping holes

It is not "just a game". someone here said it was "entertainment" and that "it sells"... why do you think that is? why are people so intregued by a point and click slash em up that glorifies what the bible teaches against?

trust me when i tell you not much (if anything at all) in this world is controlled by humans

Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
*sigh* your putting too much thought into this dude. The game was never meant to go against any sort of teachings or whatever, it was just meant to be an entertaining interactive story that you play, beat, end of story. What your doing is the equivilant of comparing Lord of the Rings to real life, it just wasnt meant to happen. I suggest you stop looking so deep to find alterior motives that arent there, and just realise that its just a bunch of code with a story attatched to it.

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ThePhoenix said:
It's just a game.
Yep, it’s just a game. But we are holding this game up to the light of scripture and discerning whether or not it is proper for a Christian to play this game. Of course it’s perfectly fine for a non-Christian to play this game because their father IS Diablo. Non-Christians probably have bigger issues to deal with than the content of a game, such as repenting from sin in general and putting their trust in the Lord Jesus. This discussion would make no sense without doing that first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Durelen said:
Yep, it’s just a game. But we are holding this game up to the light of scripture and discerning whether or not it is proper for a Christian to play this game. Of course it’s perfectly fine for a non-Christian to play this game because their father IS Diablo. Non-Christians probably have bigger issues to deal with than the content of a game, such as repenting from sin in general and putting their trust in the Lord Jesus. This discussion would make no sense without doing that first.
Ok, this was completely uncalled for, and probably goes against the forum rules.

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
armed2010 said:
Ok, this was completely uncalled for, and probably goes against the forum rules.
John 8:43Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.

If that was against rules then CF will need to start banning sound doctrine. I speak of the things my Father God has taught me, what do you speak and who taught you?

Upvote 0

River88

randomness rulez!!!
Oct 25, 2003
✟181.00
Faith
Agnostic
I was, believe it or not, in your very same position just months ago, with the very same game. Every moment I had, I'd be on the computer, playing Diablo 2. When I got home from school... it was straight to the computer, and the same concept on the weekends
I thought the whole basis of the game was fasinating, and used the exuse of "you're good, and fighting the devil" as a reason for why I thought it was okay to play.
The truth is, those "good" people use sorcery and magic, and there is even a sorceress as one of the playable characters, as well as a necromancer who raises the dead for aid, and a druid (in the Lord of Destruction expansion) who can transform into an animal and call upon natural forces (the kind that are only suppose to be controled by God).
Yes, it may seem fun, besides that. I, at one time, would have been on here supporting the game for the same reasons you are supporting it, as well. But you must step aside from what you think is right, and accept what is truely right in the Eyes of God.
I mean, think of all the time you spend playing Diablo 2, and think of how much more you could be learning if you spent some of that time reading The Bible, praying, or talking about God on here.
And one more thing... if your mom is telling you to stop playing the game, you probably should. The Bible makes it very clear that we are to obey our parents' commands, and if we do not, wouldn't it be breaking the Ten Commandments? Remember..."Thou shalt honor thy mother and thy father."

• Useful
Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Durelen said:
John 8:43Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.

If that was against rules then CF will need to start banning sound doctrine. I speak of the things my Father God has taught me, what do you speak and who taught you?
:rolleyes: Wow, show that christian love!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
River88 said:
I was, believe it or not, in your very same position just months ago, with the very same game. Every moment I had, I'd be on the computer, playing Diablo 2. When I got home from school... it was straight to the computer, and the same concept on the weekends

Then the game did its job, it entertained you, congrats to the developers

I thought the whole basis of the game was fasinating, and used the exuse of "you're good, and fighting the devil" as a reason for why I thought it was okay to play.
The truth is, those "good" people use sorcery and magic, and there is even a sorceress as one of the playable characters, as well as a necromancer who raises the dead for aid, and a druid (in the Lord of Destruction expansion) who can transform into an animal and call upon natural forces (the kind that are only suppose to be controled by God).

Gasp! Magic, in a fantasy game? Who would have thought! Think of the children!! Quickly, burn the Lord of the Rings books, NOW!!

Yes, it may seem fun, besides that. I, at one time, would have been on here supporting the game for the same reasons you are supporting it, as well. But you must step aside from what you think is right, and accept what is truely right in the Eyes of God.

Do you were clothes with more than 1 type of fabric, or eat shellfish?

I mean, think of all the time you spend playing Diablo 2, and think of how much more you could be learning if you spent some of that time reading The Bible, praying, or talking about God on here.

Why go to school or work when you could be in church!

And one more thing... if your mom is telling you to stop playing the game, you probably should. The Bible makes it very clear that we are to obey our parents' commands, and if we do not, wouldn't it be breaking the Ten Commandments? Remember..."Thou shalt honor thy mother and thy father."

Not really relating to the game, but if your mom told you to go jump off of a bridge, and you refused, would that be breaking that commandment?

Upvote 0

Tiga Ronso

Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
✟7,834.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I thought this forum was a place for Christians and Non-Christians to talk about stuff. I find insults instead. I have friends that come here and visit this site and after they saw that little remark, they definitely hate Christians and will probably never want to hear about the Bible or anything now. I was witnessing to them, but now all my work is in vain. You seem to make some pretty extreme stereotypes. Just because a person isn't a Christian, doesn't make them sons of Diablo. You seem to have a bit of a problem with pride. Just because you are a Christian, does not give you the right to insult Non-Christians. Insulting will hurt, not help people, as the case with my friends.
Also, tell me this: What do you consider "evil" in games? According to what I can gather from your posts, everything. Tell me what you consider "evil" in games, amd then we can make a list for christians of what games they shouldn't play.
In my opinion though:
Its a game! Nothing else!

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
armed2010 said:
:rolleyes: Wow, show that christian love!
It’s just the truth. You are either for him or against him. You are either a child of God or a tool of the Devil. There is no middle ground. The words I used that from, and referenced, are written in red (john 8). I don’t see a great offence as you make it out to be at least form the standpoint of the truth.

You seem to make these words out as hate when they are not. If Jesus taught these things and was full of hateful words as those then why did he die for the lost of the world? Should I work up the unsaved into a false feeling of salvation? All is well? I think not! If you don’t repent of your sins and follow Jesus you put yourself in Hell.

Upvote 0