United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi everybody,

Like some, I have grown up with atheist parents, but have been studying Christianity, and lately also a bit of Islam .

But something is always in the back of my mind. As much as we would like to believe our religion is the true one, do we really know for sure?
And of course, people say that every religion has good things and don't want to make comparisons because it's a sensitive topic.

But I believe we should address this because believing the right religion can literally determine whether we go to heaven/paradise or BURN for all eternity.

For example, Christians say that the only way to the kingdom of God is through the faith in Jesus. But Muslims say that the only way to heaven is through faith in Allah and in the Quran practices.
And a lot of other (sub-)religions probably have their own way of saying this.

How do we know that we are on the right track? There are far older religions than Christianity such as Hinduism or Animism.
What if we all end up suffering eternally after death because we did not pick/ or were born in the right religion?

How do you know Christianity is the right one out of so many?
I really want to know, because an eternity of suffering depends on our choice here.
Yes. Too many near death experiences tell us that they see Jesus. No one sees Muhammed when they die. He has been seen in hell through a vision a guy had but Jesus is the way.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Let's kick the hornet's nest.

The Commandment Christ gave us is to love our neighbor as ourselves, and when we follow that command, we show love to God, demonstrated in the parable of the sheep and goats, as well as the verse that says we are deceiving ourselves if ee day we love God but hate our neighbor, because how can we love God whom we haven't seen when we can't love our neighbor whom we have seen. 1 John 4:7-8 Brothers let us love one another for live is of God, and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God, for God is love. He who does not love does not love God.

I'm Lutheran. My parents were Lutheran, and all the way back. You follow the religion of your parents.

Teaching ESL, I admited my Muslim Students. They stop their day to pray 5 times. and pray together. They face east, praying together with other Muslims in Spirit. They were very kind. They took their spirituality very seriously, yet did not impose it on others.

Do they know God? Definitely. They have love in their hearts, and call God Allah.

But Jesus says No one comes to the Father but by me. Yes, He also said he is the vine, he is a door, he is a good shepherd. He didn't say, "No one comes to the Father but by me, and you must confess your sin, ask forgiveness, all pending on my upcoming death and resurrection. He said this when he was living.

And what is The Way? Loving your neighbor as yourself.

Christ also said to the goats, who argued that they had performed miracles in his name, that he did not know them because they didn't love their neighbor.

When asked who is my neighbir, Christ told a story where two holy men, a Levite and a priest saw a beaten man, but did not offer help in order to follow the commandments of cleanliness before entering the temple. The Samaritan, hated by the Jews and thought to be below the sinners and worship fake gods, showed his love, his empathy by helping the man and nothing in return. Did he expect some brownie points, or fo it because he is commanded? He did it because he had love in heart.

That is the Truth. Love is the highest goal.

There are Christians that will tell you that you are unsaved because you don't fit their criteria. It doesn't matter. There are those so obsessed with commandments they missed the whole point. And there are those who are so full of self righteousnes thst they are blind to seeing they embody the Pharisees. So, guess what? A bunch of Christisns may have a rude awakening. I have met atheists that unknowingly follow the commandment to love, and show fruit of the spirit, and before someone chimes in "but good works doesn't get you into heaven," I'm talking about atheists, who are doing those works not believing heaven exists.

I once had a rather heated argument with someone insisting homosexuals won't be in heaven, and if they are, she doesn't want to be there.

The HS showed me an imagery where she and I were on opposite sides of the Gates of Heaven. "I told you so" she scoffed. Then Jesus came up behind me. When she realized it was her who was outside, she stormed off. I said, "It's funny - the gate isn't locked. She just has to let go of her anger and hatred." Jesus looked sad, and I said, "she'll come around."

Christianity may be right, but Many, many Christians got it wrong.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

The Commandment Christ gave us is to love our neighbor as ourselves, and when we follow that command, we show love to God, demonstrated in the parable of the sheep and goats, as well as the verse that says we are deceiving ourselves if ee day we love God but hate our neighbor, because how can we love God whom we haven't seen when we can't love our neighbor whom we have seen. 1 John 4:7-8 Brothers let us love one another for live is of God, and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God, for God is love. He who does not love does not love God.

I'm Lutheran. My parents were Lutheran, and all the way back. You follow the religion of your parents.

Teaching ESL, I admited my Muslim Students. They stop their day to pray 5 times. and pray together. They face east, praying together with other Muslims in Spirit. They were very kind. They took their spirituality very seriously, yet did not impose it on others.

Do they know God? Definitely. They have love in their hearts, and call God Allah.

But Jesus says No one comes to the Father but by me. Yes, He also said he is the vine, he is a door, he is a good shepherd. He didn't say, "No one comes to the Father but by me, and you must confess your sin, ask forgiveness, all pending on my upcoming death and resurrection. He said this when he was living.

Christ also said to the goats, who argued that they had performed miracles in his name, that he did not know them because they didn't love their neighbor.

When asked who is my neighbir, Christ told a story where two holy men, a Levite and a priest saw a beaten man, but did not offer help in order to follow the commandments of cleanliness before entering the temple. The Samaritan, hated by the Jews and thought to be below the sinners and worship fake gods, showed his love, his empathy by helping the man and nothing in return. Did he expect some brownie points, or fo it because he is commanded? He did it because he had love in heart.

There are Christians that will tell you that you are unsaved because you don't fit their criteria. It doesn't matter. There are those so obsessed with commandments they missed the whole point. And there are those who are so full of self righteousnes thst they are blind to seeing they embody the Pharisees. So, guess what? A bunch of Christisns may have a rude awakening. I have met atheists that unknowingly follow the commandment to love, and show fruit of the spirit, and before someone chimes in "but good works doesn't get you into heaven," I'm talking about atheists, who are doing those works not believing heaven exists.

I once had a rather heated argument with someone insisting homosexuals won't be in heaven, and if they are, she doesn't want to be there.

The HS showed me an imagery where she and I were on opposite sides of the Gates of Heaven. "I told you so" she scoffed. Then Jesus came up behind me. When she realized it was her who was outside, she stormed off. I said, "It's funny - the gate isn't locked. She just has to let go of her anger and hatred." Jesus looked sad, and I said, "she'll come around."

If you read the parable correctly, Lord Jesus is the Good Samaritan. He is the one who rescues those who are beaten up and left for dead by life. The religious are all around us. Especially in churches. They secretly want nothing to do with the wounded and dying. So they build a wall of self righteous legalism to shut out those who they fear.

Lord Jesus is Saviour, not us. The inn represents the church. There the wounded should be nursed back to full health and become the people that God intends for us to be.

Going full circle, the Church is the body of Christ here on earth. So while it is Lord Jesus who saves, delivers and heals, it is His people who are His hands and feet and mouth. We need to be watchful and alert. The "wounded and left for dead" are not always obvious. No one ever twigged that I was suicidally depressed, not even my Christian boss. However, he was bold enough to witness to me, and I was born again. That was 50 years ago. That wonderful event changed me forever and I am forever grateful.

• Agree
Reactions: dcalling
Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Agreed.
You should not just follow the religion of your parents. You should follow God. My parents are all atheists, yet I follow God (I tried Buddhism before, also researched Judaism and Islam just to be sure).

They don't follow Islam strictly. If you have read the ahadith on war and loot in Islam, or read the Quran (not the parts that are copied from Torah or Gospel), you will understand why no Islam scholars declare ISIS fighters are not Muslims. They are in fact the ones who follow the Quran/ahadith to the letter.

No they don't know God. They think by follow the 5 pillars of Islam (declare faith, praying, fasting, giving and pilgram) they can go to heaven. It is the same as those false christians who think they can go to heaven by their "Good" deeds (follow the 10 commandments, give to the poor and 10% to church), when God has declared that no one is good. Our self righteous is our ticket to hell.

If you see someone drove to a cliff, telling them to stop is not hate, it is to save them. We call God "God", when his real name is YHWH, that is fine, because we know God, not by what to call him (the Christians in Middle east also call God Allah), but because we know him, we know his commandments, we know how we are saved (by Grace in Jesus' blood). By the way Jesus' real name is Yeshua, but not knowing his original name is fine, we know his message.

Nope, I thought that for a long time, but eventually realized when Jesus said he is the way, he mean it. None of us can Love our neighbors as ourselves. That is why God has to sacrifice his son to save us.

If you think the way is to Love you neighbor as yourself, then you have ignored God and you are on your way to hell. Try it. You can't (and I can't) love your (my) neighbor as youself. I will not give my bank account number to you. We need God. We know we are not good, we repent, and accept God's salvation. All the rest (love your neighbor) come not because we want or can do it, but because we owe this grace to God.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course no one knows for sure. All you can do is exercise the greatest diligence of which you are capable to get as close to the Truth as you can. You may reach a high level of conviction, but you must remain humble enough to admit you don't "know for sure." This is the core problem with fundamentalists of all types - they pretend to "know for sure," often at the expense of others, when they obviously don't. They are motivated by fear and insecurity precisely because, at some deep level, they know they are pretending and don't "know for sure."

Someone give this man a reward. Unfortunately the intellectual dishonesty of some makes the situation a bit more complicated. Where people lose the ability to distinguish between opinion and knowledge.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,293.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi everybody,

Like some, I have grown up with atheist parents, but have been studying Christianity, and lately also a bit of Islam .

But something is always in the back of my mind. As much as we would like to believe our religion is the true one, do we really know for sure?
And of course, people say that every religion has good things and don't want to make comparisons because it's a sensitive topic.

But I believe we should address this because believing the right religion can literally determine whether we go to heaven/paradise or BURN for all eternity.

For example, Christians say that the only way to the kingdom of God is through the faith in Jesus. But Muslims say that the only way to heaven is through faith in Allah and in the Quran practices.

How do we know that we are on the right track? There are far older religions than Christianity such as Hinduism or Animism.
What if we all end up suffering eternally after death because we did not pick/ or were born in the right religion?

I really want to know, because an eternity of suffering depends on our choice here.
Christianity is not right, in any of its forms. All of them, bar none, are damaged by sin. All of them are tainted & flawed, because all of them are, to some extent, expressions of our fallen human ego-assertion.

What is right, is Jesus Christ. Nothing else is right: not us, and not the ego-assertion that, because we are sinners, we cannot avoid expression even in our religious practice.

That, ISTM, is why it is so necessary for us to have a High Priest & Mediator, Whose perfect service of the Father can be the “filter” through which we offer our (radically imperfect) service. That is why we need to offer ourselves, in the Holy Spirit, through Christ, to the Father.

It is Jesus Christ Who is important, Who makes the difference - not us. It is “all about Him”.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
The older I become, the more reluctant I am to voice an opinion - I just do NOT believe that unsolicited bunny is ever going to get your point across. I think it just makes you sound crazy (we can learn a lot from woke culture.)

If I agree that Jesus is king, then my actions through life should follow accordingly. Be generous, not just with time, but also with the small things (supply the pies and never look for special treatment.) Be gracious, well mannered and attentive to others' moods and respond correctly. Keep it genuine, keep it grounded and don't develop an ego.

When you inspire a group of people and they show curiosity and appreciation to your "ways" THEN mention it. But not before you've made an impact - that part is down to you.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the greatest demonstrations to me of the truth of Christianity is the disproportionate amount of hostility that comes from otherwise reasonable people when someone demonstrates not only a token allegiance to Christianity, but that they are serious about their faith in Christ. I've seen violence without provocation towards peaceful Christians, while justifying and defending Muslim extremists. That people who by all rights should be each other's enemies will gladly team up to attack Christianity demonstrates that on when Jesus said "The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify to its evil" He was not exagerating. On some level, I think everyone recognizes Christ is the one true God but that their hatred of Him is so great it gets suppressed. So for what it's worth, the hatred of the world confirms for me that Christianity is the right religion.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
One of the greatest demonstrations to me of the truth of Christianity is the disproportionate amount of hostility that comes from otherwise reasonable people when someone demonstrates not only a token allegiance to Christianity, but that they are serious about their faith in Christ. I've seen violence without provocation towards peaceful Christians, while justifying and defending Muslim extremists. That people who by all rights should be each other's enemies will gladly team up to attack Christianity demonstrates that on when Jesus said "The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify to its evil" He was not exagerating. On some level, I think everyone recognizes Christ is the one true God but that their hatred of Him is so great it gets suppressed. So for what it's worth, the hatred of the world confirms for me that Christianity is the right religion.
that's awesome i agree for sure. It also amazed me when Jesus would heal someone the pharisees immediately would try and find a way to kill Him like can you imagine trying to kill your doctor after you got healed??

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi everybody,

The only way to know that Jesus is the right path is for God to reveal that to you. God does this through a personal relationship with him, through his Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you're going to get responses from people who never truly studied these other religions in depth. I am with you, to be honest. That's one reason I have been studying different religions as of late. I have been discovering that there is so much out there that I wasn't aware of until now. I was living in this bubble, thinking that my religion was high and better than others, and that I was on the correct path. There are paths that are not only true through and through in my own personal investigation (Vedanta Hinduism), but also makes me wonder if Christianity is just one of many of these paths aiming for the same end. It is a startling realization that is changing my life (again) right now.

Now, I am trying to find ways to synthesis these discoveries.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you're going to get responses from people who never truly studied these other religions in depth. I am with you, to be honest. That's one reason I have been studying different religions as of late. I have been discovering that there is so much out there that I wasn't aware of until now. I was living in this bubble, thinking that my religion was high and better than others, and that I was on the correct path. There are paths that are not only true through and through in my own personal investigation (Vedanta Hinduism), but also makes me wonder if Christianity is just one of many of these paths aiming for the same end. It is a startling realization that is changing my life (again) right now.

Now, I am trying to find ways to synthesis these discoveries.

Don't expect World Religions to be synthesizable with Christianity. Some aspects of other World Religions can be complimentary to those in our Christian faith, but keep in mind, too, that you'll find other aspects in those religions which are flat out contrary to the principle of affirming Jesus as the sole Way to God the Father. They can't all be right, although some ideas can overlap.

As someone who has studied these 'other religions' at the university level, I'm just offering this recommendation to you as you undertake your research and journey through some of these alternative forms of belief, Jonaitis!

Peace!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Prophet Zack

Jan 3, 2023
Castries
✟8,201.00
Country
Saint Lucia
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Hi everybody,

Greetings Brother Kees Hogenbirk,

Blessings in the high and exalted name of the Lord Jesus Christ the Messiah. I pray that all is well with you and yours. This is a great question that you have ask and I must say that it shows a high level of intelligence on your part. I am new to this form and therefore I couldn't have attempted before now to answer your question. If I understand your question correctly, you are asking, do we know for sure that Christianity is the right religion?

In answering your question, I first need to ask you a few questions to know what is it that you believe. First of all, do you believe in a supreme being (God) who is all knowing, all powerful and is present everywhere at the same time, who has no beginning and no ending, who created the heavens and the earth and all that in them is. If you do, then do you believe that the Holy Scriptures is his revealed written word and that he was able to preserve these words until now so that nothing in the Holy scriptures should be rejected but that all should be accepted as the Truth. Or are you asking whether the Bible or Quran is the Word of God. They both cannot be because God can provide two different messages at the same time. Does the Quran answer all your questions. I am sure that the Holy Scriptures is able to answer all your questions.

If you believe that the Holy Scriptures is the Word of God, then the question you ought to ask is whether Christianity is manmade or whether it is Biblical?

For, there are thousands, perhaps millions of interpretations, given by men. of the Word of God but there is only one correct interpretation, and this one correct interpretation is the "True Faith"; Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
How did God show you?
Excactly this. I think so as well. I really feel as if many people try to convince themselves out of fear of being wrong.
I think it is realized that yes there are many people, in fact most on earth, are wrong, and people should do well fearing therefore they are wrong and sinful and will be resurrected for judgment and not for eternal life..
Those who cry out to the Creator for HIm Himself, and seek Him Himself, find Him, His Very Self, by and in Jesus, only.

Some of the first believers immersed in Jesus were given a message so they could know the truth, and they could know that they know the truth, and that is First John, which is written , a message from God, that states to believers that one purpose of First
John is for them to know that they know the truth.

This is in Perfect and Complete Harmony with ALL SCRIPTURE.

Continue to read the five chapters of First John; look for this also >>

CEB
We know that God’s Son has come and has given us understanding to know the one who is true. We are in the one who is true by being in his Son, Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
CJB
And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us discernment, so that we may know who is genuine; moreover, we are united with the One who is genuine, united with his Son Yeshua the Messiah. He is the genuine God and eternal life.
CEV
We know that Jesus Christ the Son of God has come and has shown us the true God. And because of Jesus, we now belong to the true God who gives eternal life.
DARBY
And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us an understanding that we should know him that [is] true; and we are in him that [is] true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.
DLNT
And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding in order that we might know the true One. And we are in the true One, in His Son Jesus Christ. This One is the true God and eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
But Christians believe the Bible is God's Word and I can't believe everything is the truth when much of it goes against my knowledge and logic. So I worry about going to hell just because I can't accept every word as the Truth.
Again from First John: So those questions can be resolved proper:

" Beloved, believe not every spirit, but prove the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 and every spirit that [a]confesseth not Jesus is not of God: and this is the spirit of the antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it cometh; and now it is in the world already. 4 Ye are of God, my little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world. 5 They are of the world: therefore speak they as of the world, and the world heareth them. 6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he who is not of God heareth us not. By this we know the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi everybody,

There is more to evaluate, than surface claims. A lot of people and groups make claims.

Historic Christians have argued the truth of their beliefs, from many approaches. Such as:

-- The accuracy of the New Testament text.
-- The conscience
-- The testimony from nature, that there is a great creator God.
-- The eyewitness accounts of the life of Jesus.

It is not a simple thing to evaluate the claims of Christianity. But, the teaching of Jesus is "Seek, and you shall find". Jesus claims that God will reveal truth, to the one who seeks it.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hi everybody,

The truth of Christianity is based on whether or not Jesus rose from the dead, which is an historical claim that can be investigated.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everybody,

I know Christianity is 'right'
Because I first believed,
Was first told the Good News,
This led to the Day the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY baptized me with his Holy Spirit because I believed in the name of his one Begotten Son.
Believed that he lived, had died and was resurrected and lives Again.
For these reasons I now know Christianity being a follower of Christ. Living a life of obedience and selflessness as the LORD lived.. is not merely a religion but a relationship.
These things I thank the LORD for because it was his Will that these things occur. LORD willing, I'll be forever grateful.

May The LORD Bless You and Keep You

Shalom Aleichem

Upvote 0