✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everybody,

Like some, I have grown up with atheist parents, but have been studying Christianity, and lately also a bit of Islam .

But something is always in the back of my mind. As much as we would like to believe our religion is the true one, do we really know for sure?
And of course, people say that every religion has good things and don't want to make comparisons because it's a sensitive topic.

But I believe we should address this because believing the right religion can literally determine whether we go to heaven/paradise or BURN for all eternity.

For example, Christians say that the only way to the kingdom of God is through the faith in Jesus. But Muslims say that the only way to heaven is through faith in Allah and in the Quran practices.
And a lot of other (sub-)religions probably have their own way of saying this.

How do we know that we are on the right track? There are far older religions than Christianity such as Hinduism or Animism.
What if we all end up suffering eternally after death because we did not pick/ or were born in the right religion?

How do you know Christianity is the right one out of so many?
I really want to know, because an eternity of suffering depends on our choice here.

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate

Justasking123

Nov 7, 2019
B
✟30,164.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I realised the Bible was the Truth after God showed me through experience, I also saw how His Words changed me and I saw the perfect love between those who believe Him and follow Jesus Christ.

Unfortunatly I still doubted if it was the only way to God and I realised it was indeed the Truth after I strayed away. The best I think is to pray if you have doubts that God may show you the Truth.

Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As much as we would like to believe our religion is the true one, do we really know for sure?
Of course no one knows for sure. All you can do is exercise the greatest diligence of which you are capable to get as close to the Truth as you can. You may reach a high level of conviction, but you must remain humble enough to admit you don't "know for sure." This is the core problem with fundamentalists of all types - they pretend to "know for sure," often at the expense of others, when they obviously don't. They are motivated by fear and insecurity precisely because, at some deep level, they know they are pretending and don't "know for sure."

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This is video evidence of some of the major bible discoveries.

It will be people who tell you that this man is a fake, but the children of Israel in the old testament didn't want to believe the prophets that were sent to them either. Pray and ask God and i hope this video bless you as it has me.

Upvote 0

Kees Hogenbirk

Jul 6, 2018
Naarden
✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I realised the Bible was the Truth after God showed me through experience, I also saw how His Words changed me and I saw the perfect love between those who believe Him and follow Jesus Christ.

Unfortunatly I still doubted if it was the only way to God and I realised it was indeed the Truth after I strayed away. The best I think is to pray if you have doubts that God may show you the Truth.

How did God show you?

Upvote 0

Kees Hogenbirk

Jul 6, 2018
Naarden
✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course no one knows for sure. All you can do is exercise the greatest diligence of which you are capable to get as close to the Truth as you can. You may reach a high level of conviction, but you must remain humble enough to admit you don't "know for sure." This is the core problem with fundamentalists of all types - they pretend to "know for sure," often at the expense of others, when they obviously don't. They are motivated by fear and insecurity precisely because, at some deep level, they know they are pretending and don't "know for sure."

Excactly this. I think so as well. I really feel as if many people try to convince themselves out of fear of being wrong.

Upvote 0

Justasking123

Nov 7, 2019
B
✟30,164.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How did God show you?

He made me realise as I read His Words that I was a sinner for example. A long time I was confused and I also was very interested in Islam, I went in Moschee, if you have questions about this you can pm me if you like.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi everybody,

Like some, I have grown up with atheist parents, but have been studying Christianity, and lately also a bit of Islam .

But something is always in the back of my mind. As much as we would like to believe our religion is the true one, do we really know for sure?
And of course, people say that every religion has good things and don't want to make comparisons because it's a sensitive topic.

But I believe we should address this because believing the right religion can literally determine whether we go to heaven/paradise or BURN for all eternity.

For example, Christians say that the only way to the kingdom of God is through the faith in Jesus. But Muslims say that the only way to heaven is through faith in Allah and in the Quran practices.

How do we know that we are on the right track? There are far older religions than Christianity such as Hinduism or Animism.
What if we all end up suffering eternally after death because we did not pick/ or were born in the right religion?

I really want to know, because an eternity of suffering depends on our choice here.
The choice is stark. You can choose to believe a book written by a dead man or his followers, such as the Qur'an. It is a book of rules. Follow them and maybe you will make it. Or you can turn to the Living Saviour and Lord, Jesus Christ. He died for the sin of mankind. No other founder of a religion has done that. Lord Jesus rose again from the dead to give us new life. We do not need more or better rules. We need a new life that can enable us to live in a way that pleases God. No religion offers that. With Christ there is absolute assurance of forgiveness and acceptance with God. Christianity is a relationship with God, through Christ. This will help you: The Way - Christian Life Frankston

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Excactly this. I think so as well. I really feel as if many people try to convince themselves out of fear of being wrong.
Sorry to disagree, but I know for sure. I have God's word, the testimony of the Church for 2,000 years and the inner witness in my spirit. Once you choose to make God's word your authority, you can be sure.

• Agree
Reactions: reformed05
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What makes you think you pick Jesus for salvation rather than Jesus picks you?

You also asked....How do you know Christianity is the right one out of so many?
The believer in Jesus understamds the answer is many ways. One of those ways is Isaiah 53 which is fulfilled prophecy. Isaiah 53 speaks of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everybody,

First - the fear of hell is a poor reason to worship God.. In my opinion.

I worship God because He is Worthy of my worship and not out of a fear of the hereafter. Rather, I worship God out of a deep love for my Creator, and the Author of my salvation..

I was Muslim, and I was what we call saved, and became a believer and follower of the Christ..

Everyone must walk their own path laid before them, and out of a desire to know this God must determine the right of it for themselves.

It wasn't overnight that I came to this faith, it was years of studying and learning all I could, later followed by a personal experience that led to my being saved. For a time like you I felt frozen in fear of making the wrong choice, but if you trust that God is a knowable God, and seek that knowing with all your heart, mind, and soul, then you will find HIM.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The world has numerous cultures, some of which don't respond well to being sensitive towards them. They'll see it as weakness however when confronted and done in good faith on both sides, you can bypass sensitivities and risk offending one another.

There are a fair number of ex Muslims that have responded to David Wood's more direct and in your face kind of approach and have become Christians. I'm familiar with his background as well as his friend Nabeel Qureshi who is now deceased. These men are not the sensitive type but know how to be respectful of different beliefs.

There are a fair number of public debates with Muslim's on his channel, it might be worth your time watching some and see how their ideas stack up against each other.

Acts17Apologetics

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I
There are many ways to know. First, God is love. You will never find a love equal to that which drove Jesus to the cross to voluntarily suffer and die for us, so we could be reconciled back to the Father.

Then there is the holiness of God. Nowhere else do you have a God who is thrice-holy, who does not sin and did not create sin, who required a perfect human sacrifice so our sin-debt could be forgiven.

Lastly there is the matter of works. This is the only religion where our works do not save us. Muslims never have assurance of salvation. Even Muhammad didn't; he died not knowing where he would go, because even his Allah described himself as "the greatest of deceivers". Our works could not save us, else Christ would not have gone through what He did for us.

There are other apologetic issues as well, such as the proven integrity of the Bible, the most scrutinized book in history. The Koran, OTOH, though much younger has massive transmission problems. Plus you are betting the farm on the conflicted revelation of only one man, who indeed thought he was possessed.

Ultimately, there simply is no other game in town.

Three passages to think about:

'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope.
'Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.
'You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
'I will be found by you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.' -Jer 29:11-14

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. -Heb 11.6

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -john 3.16​

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christianity makes a series of claims about God and man: That Jesus of Nazareth was God Himself, and that he died and was resurrected — all so that we might be free from our sins. Every other religion in the world denies each of these points. So, if Christianity is correct, then it speaks a vital truth to the world — a truth that all other religions reject.

This alone makes Christianity unique.

But it doesn't end there. Recall Jesus' statement in John's Gospel:

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me." In Christianity, we have God's full revelation to humanity. It's true that all religions contain some measure of truth — the amount varying with the religion. Nevertheless, if we earnestly want to follow and worship God, shouldn't we do it in the way He prescribed?

If Jesus is indeed God, then only Christianity contains the fullness of this truth.
12 Claims Every Catholic Should Be Able to Answer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The world has numerous cultures, some of which don't respond well to being sensitive towards them. They'll see it as weakness however when confronted and done in good faith on both sides, you can bypass sensitivities and risk offending one another.

There are a fair number of ex Muslims that have responded to David Wood's more direct and in your face kind of approach and have become Christians. I'm familiar with his background as well as his friend Nabeel Qureshi who is now deceased. These men are not the sensitive type but know how to be respectful of different beliefs.

There are a fair number of public debates with Muslim's on his channel, it might be worth your time watching some and see how their ideas stack up against each other.

Acts17Apologetics
Answering Islam, A Christian-Muslim Dialog and Apologetic
Christian Web Pages interacting with Islam
Injil.Org Home Page
The Good Way

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everybody,

I don’t think you can prove Christianity. But you can make at least some observations.

Christianity is based on the experience of a community of people who heard Jesus teach and experienced his resurrection. Paul cites a number of witnesses. Assessing the evidence is complex, and doesn’t make sense here. There are certainly valid objections. But still, I think it’s based on historical events in a way that other major religions aren’t. (Judaism is a possible exception.)

Islam is based on revelations to one person, which have some odd properties. E.g. verses that were later retracted, and a couple of references that seem to be based on a misunderstanding of Christianity. E.g. the Quran is generally understood as denying the crucifixion of Jesus. This is surely one of the best supported historical events.

Hinduism and Buddhism are different, as they are essentially philosophies. Both are polytheistic. I think it’s hard to take their mythology seriously as literal teachings, but many (most?) current practitioners wouldn’t advocate that. I’m not sure a Christians necessarily has to reject all of their philosophical insights. A lot of Christians find a lot of value in Buddhism.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everybody,

We know because Jesus Christ of Nazareth claimed to be "God in the flesh". No other has claimed that. In Islam, Mohammed changed the status of Jesus Christ of Nazareth to Prophet. Scripture clearly states who and what Jesus Christ of Nazareth is. He is the only one that sent the Holy Spirit to His believers, no one can claim that either. The Holy Spirit is our connection to God which was once severed by Adam and eve and now restored through the work of Jesus on the cross. This is the restoration of our condition which brings us into the fold and into the Kingdom of God. This is the only way.

Exodus 3:13-14
13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”
14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

John 8
54 Jesus answered, “If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. 55 Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, ‘I do not know Him,’ I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.”57 Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

Upvote 0

Mantishand

May 31, 2018
Murica
✟57,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand your frame of mind and all I can say is Jesus let me know how very real he is. I suggest you pray for Jesus to enter your life. Repent from sin and awaken to the truth. It's awesome. No one can prove to you that Christianity is the truth but Jesus can.

Reactions: Jord Simcha
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Absolutely. After being told everyone who does not believe Jesus saved us on the cross and rise again will suffer enternally in hell, aka the "lake of fire" in Revelation, I became scared to death that I must believe, even if many facts do not line up with the Bible, everything that does NOT make any sense. I believe God sent His Son to forgive us for our sins and Jesus rose again after being crucified on the cross. I love Jesus as my Savior and King. But Christians believe the Bible is God's Word and I can't believe everything is the truth when much of it goes against my knowledge and logic. So I worry about going to hell just because I can't accept every word as the Truth.

Upvote 0