Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely. After being told everyone who does not believe Jesus saved us on the cross and rise again will suffer enternally in hell, aka the "lake of fire" in Revelation, I became scared to death that I must believe, even if many facts do not line up with the Bible, everything that does NOT make any sense. I believe God sent His Son to forgive us for our sins and Jesus rose again after being crucified on the cross. I love Jesus as my Savior and King. But Christians believe the Bible is God's Word and I can't believe everything is the truth when much of it goes against my knowledge and logic. So I worry about going to hell just because I can't accept every word as the Truth.
Jesus is the Word made flesh. I think it's a mistake to say that the Bible is God's word in the same sense, a direct, guaranteed perfect message from God. This puts people like you (and me) in an impossible position. It also raises the question: if God could show himself perfectly in a book, why also send Christ? Rather, the the Bible is a human witness to God's revelation.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi everybody,

Like some, I have grown up with atheist parents, but have been studying Christianity, and lately also a bit of Islam .

But something is always in the back of my mind. As much as we would like to believe our religion is the true one, do we really know for sure?
And of course, people say that every religion has good things and don't want to make comparisons because it's a sensitive topic.

But I believe we should address this because believing the right religion can literally determine whether we go to heaven/paradise or BURN for all eternity.

For example, Christians say that the only way to the kingdom of God is through the faith in Jesus. But Muslims say that the only way to heaven is through faith in Allah and in the Quran practices.
And a lot of other (sub-)religions probably have their own way of saying this.

How do we know that we are on the right track? There are far older religions than Christianity such as Hinduism or Animism.
What if we all end up suffering eternally after death because we did not pick/ or were born in the right religion?

How do you know Christianity is the right one out of so many?
I really want to know, because an eternity of suffering depends on our choice here.
If you think Christianity is a religion, then you don't know what Christianity is. It is the creation of a new mankind that will be revealed to the world when Jesus returns. For all of us who are participating in that new creation now, we have the Holy Spirit in our hearts so we can communicate with God, and let his divine nature direct us from within.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If you think Christianity is a religion, then you don't know what Christianity is. It is the creation of a new mankind that will be revealed to the world when Jesus returns. For all of us who are participating in that new creation now, we have the Holy Spirit in our hearts so we can communicate with God, and let his divine nature direct us from within.

Christianity is a religion. It is a belief system based on the inspired Word of God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How do we know that we are on the right track? ....
What if we all end up suffering eternally after death because we did not pick/ or were born in the right religion?
I really want to know, because an eternity of suffering depends on our choice here.
Well, when did you realize that others you grew up with and others you have seen and heard and watched over the last decade plus are wrong ?

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi everybody,

Like some, I have grown up with atheist parents, but have been studying Christianity, and lately also a bit of Islam .

But something is always in the back of my mind. As much as we would like to believe our religion is the true one, do we really know for sure?
And of course, people say that every religion has good things and don't want to make comparisons because it's a sensitive topic.

But I believe we should address this because believing the right religion can literally determine whether we go to heaven/paradise or BURN for all eternity.

For example, Christians say that the only way to the kingdom of God is through the faith in Jesus. But Muslims say that the only way to heaven is through faith in Allah and in the Quran practices.

How do we know that we are on the right track? There are far older religions than Christianity such as Hinduism or Animism.

There is a fascinating analogy in the path of the Jordan - Yarden River that is a fascinating prediction of Messiah Yeshua - Jesus would do in his life, death and resurrection.

Upvote 0

Brother William

Dec 6, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟15,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Hi everybody,

Upvote 0

Brother William

Dec 6, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟15,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Be wary of unbelievers who pretend to be seekers of truth. This is a common tactic of many atheists to subvert the principal doctrines of Christ. The judgement of God in separating the wheat from the tares. Some to everlasting life, some to everlasting shame and contempt.

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everybody,

All you can do is read the Bible for yourself and pray to God for wisdom; that he show you the truth. The Bible calls sin what it is and shows us the way to be saved from it. Any thinking, honest person has to admit in their heart that they have sinned, continue to sin, and cannot fix it on their own. Read the words of Jesus and see if he is who he claimed...the way, the truth, and the life. I believe he is...the only perfect person who ever lived, who came to die for our sins.
And there are no older religions than Christianity, because there is no disconnect between the Old Testament and the New, and the Old points to the New through and through. God loved people from the beginning, and always planned a way for us to be saved. Muslims believe, only in part, in the same old books, and the same God, as do the Jews. The only thing they miss is the best part, the fulfillment of the law through Jesus Christ our Lord, our savior, our friend.
And although many scriptures speak of hell, others say things like "All the ends of the earth shall remember, and shall be converted to the Lord." Psalms 21:28 Douay Rheims Bible. It may be listed in another translation as a Psalm peceding or following that one. Some of the Psalms are in slightly different order in the Catholic Bible, but are the same.
As humans, we like things cut and dried, so for that reason, many find it easier to take the condemnation scriptures as more valid than the rest, but there are mysteries in the Bible; things too high for our human minds to comprehend, so I will not be one bit surprised if we find, in the next life, that God's mercy extends much further than we now comprehend.
But still, Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.
God bless you in your search for truth. If you love the truth you will come to believe in and love Jesus.
"Seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened."

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hi everybody,

You know by faith. If you're looking for some sort of scientific proof you aren't going to get it. Scripture is sufficient for believers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TrustNHim9119

Dec 4, 2019
Dayton
✟8,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everybody,

I know that Christianity is right and is the only way because of how so came to salvation.

I had started believing what you are claiming, that every religion is "the same" or "some variation" of the same and I fell into the whole "new age" and pantheistic belief.

I followed astrology for a few years, and fell into numerology, tarot card reading, energy from crystals, etc.

I denied that astrology was star/planet worship until I had no choice but to face the truth after an astrology page I followed posted a prayer to the moon.

That was after I had already begun to see that astrology didn't give me the truth. Eventually, even with the tarot cards and other stuff too, it lead to ambiguous answers that left me more confused about life than I was before.

It was then that so realized how all those beliefs never gave you truth, they just made it seem as if everyone could make up their own truth, and for me, that was not going to work. I needed something concrete, because I was so confused and had no direction.

I realized that Christianity is the only belief that guarantees salvation, not from one's good deeds or works, but by God's grace, through an individual's faith in God.

So if you have faith in God and His word, you will repent (turn from desiring or wanting to live a life of sin), let God know that Jesus died for your sins (He is your Lord and Savior from who saves you from an eternity in Hell), and you put your trust and faith in Jesus, you know that you are saved.

You know that you are a new creature in Christ and that the Holy Spirit is now in you.

I also know that Christianity is the only way because it is the only belief that truly acknowledges our enemy in Satan (the devil) and how God can and will help us avoid deception, as Satan's goal is to steal, kill, and destroy our identity and purpose in Christ.

Even Judaism does not do that (as unfortunately, their end times prophesy claims that the antichrist is their messiah; the good thing is that they will be saved once the two witnesses prophesy that Jesus is the true Messiah).

I would just say to seek truth, love truth, and accept truth, knowing that the truth is greater than your feelings and expectations.

This is how I know that Christianity is the only way, because this is what I had to do in regard to the truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think you're on to something important, something that many people may not think about. The biggest decision we make in life, what religion we follow, shouldn't be determined by what family we're born into. (What's interesting is that Jesus Himself warned about such [Luke 14:26-27].) Since Jesus' resurrection would make or break Christianity, I spent months and months studying different debates on whether it can be verified, and I also read a book on the matter. After weighing the pros and the cons for a while, I came to the conclusion that His resurrection really happened. One post can't do things justice, of course, but if I were to outline the case for Jesus' resurrection, it would go like this: If Jesus really died at some point in time and was really alive later, then by definition, He rose from the dead.

The evidence is clear that Jesus died and was seen alive after His death. As even resurrection skeptic John Dominic Crossan said, "Jesus' death by crucifixion under Pontius Pilate is as sure as anything historical can ever be. For if no follower of Jesus had written anything for one hundred years after his crucifixition, we would still know about him from two authors not among his supporters. Their names are Flavius Josephus and Cornelius Tacitus."

As for Jesus being alive afterward, even most skeptics of Christianity grant that 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 is a nutshell of the gospel that the original Christians believed. They also grant that the passage isn't guilty of embellishment and that the statement is sincere. Therefore, in the words of Germany’s leading resurrection skeptic, Gerd Lüdemann, “It may be taken as historically certain that Peter and the disciples had experiences after Jesus’s death in which Jesus appeared to them as the risen Christ” (What Really Happened to Jesus, pg. 80, emphasis mine).

The question then becomes, "How could the witnesses see Jesus alive after He was crucified?" Most skeptics today, including Lüdemann, believe they merely hallucinated, but that contradicts the fact that people saw Jesus even in groups. Because hallucinations come from a person's mind, a group hallucination would itself be supernatural. If you hallucinate an apple in front of you, no one else will be able to see it. If anyone else does, the apple's really there!

Furthermore, even skeptics like the apostle Paul converted upon seeing Jesus risen. (Again, it's unchallenged even by secular scholarship that Paul was a persecutor-turned Christian who said his radical transformation was because he saw Jesus risen.) How could he hallucinate something happening that he "knew" (at least in his mind) to be false? A modern-day equivalent would be for the likes of Richard Dawkins to suddenly claim he saw Jesus, and then become a Christian.

The best explanation, though controversial for being religious, is that Jesus was really there to be seen. I understand if it's too long, but if you'd like to read a debate I did online with the owner of edeb8, you can access it here.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christianity is a religion. It is a belief system based on the inspired Word of God.
No, it is not. It is God's solution to the sin in the world. Adam was given dominion over the Earth, and when he and Eve fell, the rest of the creation fell, too. Christ is the humanity that is proven faithful and perfect. All who accept his gift of life by recognizing their sins with godly sorrow, receive the divine nature via the Holy Spirit into their hearts. This is the proof that we, too, will be resurrected in glorified, immortal bodies.

The new birth is biology, not religion. We become new creatures in Christ. Is it a walk of faith since the promise is not fully fulfilled? Yes, of course, but it is diminished by calling it a "religion based on the inspired Word of God"

Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi, I imagine being confronted with your own mortality without knowing where your going in the end is a terrible amount of pressure, fear and a lot of other things all crushing you. The Lord is offering you rest from all that. The great thing is His promise to those who seek Him they will find Him. So lets look at just a few reasons you can trust the Lord. Just on the fulfilled prophecies alone would indicate the trustworthiness of relying on His Word and therefore trusting Him. But lets look at His Word the Bible. There is no book in all the world, nor has there ever been, a book with more documents backing it up than the Bible. The comparison between the Bible and its closest neighbor is no contest. The Bible has over a thousand backing documents while Homer's Iliad is a very poor second with fewer than 200 backing documents. The things Christ was theoretically unable to control that fulfilled Scripture such as being nailed to the cross being stabbed in the side and not having His legs broken. The man who ordered the Lord's legs broken was sadistic man with no qualms murdering anyone who displeased him and the guards did not obey and the side was pierced and the bones unbroken. There are examples all through Scripture of His Sovereignty and because of that sovereignty He can promise to work all things for our good. The end of the Book of Job when the Lord has the opportunity to answer why we suffer and so forth the greatest revelation of the Lord God Almighty is given and He is telling us the if we learn of Him take His yoke upon us His Grace will be sufficient because we know the One who has given it to us our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I have bet my entire eternity on the Lord and only the Lord. I pray you will as well.

P. S. I believe Islam is like all the other religions and require some types of works to be saved They ar Do religions. There is only one religion that does not call its people to Do because in Christ it is Done. God bless

Upvote 0

reformed05

Sep 21, 2019
Private
✟11,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Of course no one knows for sure. All you can do is exercise the greatest diligence of which you are capable to get as close to the Truth as you can. You may reach a high level of conviction, but you must remain humble enough to admit you don't "know for sure." This is the core problem with fundamentalists of all types - they pretend to "know for sure," often at the expense of others, when they obviously don't. They are motivated by fear and insecurity precisely because, at some deep level, they know they are pretending and don't "know for sure."
You are making a lot of assumptions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Kees, fellow Dutchman here. :)

I know that my redeemer liveth! said Job about Jesus. Though his and my revelation are undoubtedly very different, I feel the same. I know.

The biggest reason for knowing God is true for me is having the Holy Spirit. You can ask God for the Spirit if you doubt you have Him. I did it myself and am very happy I did.

When I was still trying to find out whether the Bible is true I found these two videos, maybe they help convince you the Bible and Jesus are true:

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
P. S. I believe Islam is like all the other religions and require some types of works to be saved They ar Do religions. There is only one religion that does not call its people to Do because in Christ it is Done. God bless
Well, what does Jesus say to do ?

Matthew 12:50 For whoever does the will of My Father in ...
Matthew 12:50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."
Whoever does what my Father in heaven wants is my brother, my sister, and my mother." Holman Christian Standard Bible For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven, that person is My brother and sister and mother." International Standard Version because whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." NET Bible
=========================================

Romans 2:

".... do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? 5 But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God's righteous judgment will be revealed.

6 He will render to each one according to his works: 7 to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; 8 but for those who are self-seekinga]">[a] and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. 11 For God shows no partiality."

Upvote 0

reformed05

Sep 21, 2019
Private
✟11,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Hi everybody,

I am going to tell you a story.
I am a person who felt there must be such a thing as actual truth about our existence, an after life or not, how we got here, why we are here. I looked at many many possibilities. Somewhere in my early thirties I realized that even if I found truth, I wouldn't know if it was truth I had found. For all I knew, I already had found it and didn't know. I did not want to just believe one philosopher or another, or anything anyone told me or I read. I wanted to know within myself that it was the truth. Something in me cried out to KNOW not just believe. I reached the conclusion that this wasn't possible and went about my life. One thing I knew I didn't believe was the gospel as preached by Christianity.

One day my brother, who was also on this quest, and who lived 3000 miles away, cried out to God, saying that he wanted to know the truth. Even if he didn't like it. Then he decided he would investigate Jesus. Who was He? Why did people say things like Jesus loves you or give your life to Jesus? My brother considered Jesus to have died 2000 years ago. LSS, He discovered Jesus in the Bible and for seven long years he began to "preach" salvation to his mother and sisters.
It was in that seventh year that I returned to my home city where he lived and daily he would bring me Christian books. It annoyed me no end but I read them to keep him off my back. In one ear out the other. They had no effect on me. Then I read The Late Great Planet Earth. It is an old book but worth reading if you haven't. It chronicles the prophesies in the OT that have come to pass. With historical facts. I thought if all that was true, the whole book must be. And the hard shell I wore against Christianity began to crack. I went to bed that night and when I woke up the next morning I woke knowing that every word in the Bible was true. No if, and it buts about it. The knowing was inside of me. And I began to read all those words that were true to see what they were. That was 43 years ago. It is impossible for me to stop believing. I know I have found the truth. God reaches each of His own in a personal way, as unique as the person He created. So just cry out continuously God to show you truth. There is only one God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The God of the Bible. And there is only one way to become His child and arrive in His kingdom, and that is Jesus.we're
P.S. My mother and sisters are all "saved" too.

Upvote 0

reformed05

Sep 21, 2019
Private
✟11,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I am going to tell you a story.
I am a person who felt there must be such a thing as actual truth about our existence, an after life or not, how we got here, why we are here. I looked at many many possibilities. Somewhere in my early thirties I realized that even if I found truth, I wouldn't know if it was truth I had found. For all I knew, I already had found it and didn't know. I did not want to just believe one philosopher or another, or anything anyone told me or I read. I wanted to know within myself that it was the truth. Something in me cried out to KNOW not just believe. I reached the conclusion that this wasn't possible and went about my life. One thing I knew I didn't believe was the gospel as preached by Christianity.

One day my brother, who was also on this quest, and who lived 3000 miles away, cried out to God, saying that he wanted to know the truth. Even if he didn't like it. Then he decided he would investigate Jesus. Who was He? Why did people say things like Jesus loves you or give your life to Jesus? My brother considered Jesus to have died 2000 years ago. LSS, He discovered Jesus in the Bible and for seven long years he began to "preach" salvation to his mother and sisters.
It was in that seventh year that I returned to my home city where he lived and daily he would bring me Christian books. It annoyed me no end but I read them to keep him off my back. In one ear out the other. They had no effect on me. Then I read The Late Great Planet Earth. It is an old book but worth reading if you haven't. It chronicles the prophesies in the OT that have come to pass. With historical facts. I thought if all that was true, the whole book must be. And the hard shell I wore against Christianity began to crack. I went to bed that night and when I woke up the next morning I woke knowing that every word in the Bible was true. No if, and it buts about it. The knowing was inside of me. And I began to read all those words that were true to see what they were. That was 43 years ago. It is impossible for me to stop believing. I know I have found the truth. God reaches each of His own in a personal way, as unique as the person He created. So just cry out continuously God to show you truth. There is only one God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The God of the Bible. And there is only one way to become His child and arrive in His kingdom, and that is Jesus.we're
P.S. My mother and sisters are all "saved" too.
Also, Christianity isn't a religion. It is God revealing Himself in a saving way. It is truth.

Upvote 0