Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I could be a celibate priest... but I am a better priest for being married and a mother. (And not because I drag my husband into doing some of the work, but in terms of my own maturity and emotional equilibrium).

Well, frankly, there's a really long line of burnt-out pastors that suggests it's a bit more complicated than that.
My parents work in the health industry. Its often said of nursing that its a calling - nurses say its my profession and although they are passionate and want the best outcomes possible for their patients, at the end of the day its a job which needs to be balanced by other demands in their life.

Do you see any parallels?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are definitely parallels.

I watched my mother nurse for many years, and I think the boundaries in nursing are much better. When you clock off and go home, nobody is there ringing you about a patient and telling you that God expects you to be on hand for them every hour you're awake.

I realise that this sounds like I'm complaining, but it's not that exactly. I walked into this with my eyes wide open and knew what it would be like. But I see the damage it does to many people, to their marriages, to their family life, to their well being, and I think that churches are often unrealistic and treat their ministers badly because of it.

By pointing that out I hope I can help build a slightly healthier culture for all of us (including one where we can break down clericalism and truly empower the laity to take on some of the work and responsibility of church life!)

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
My parents work in the health industry. Its often said of nursing that its a calling - nurses say its my profession and although they are passionate and what the best outcomes possible for their patients, at the end of the day its a job which needs to be balanced by other demands in their life.

Do you see any parallels?

There are lots of professions that demand commitment, dedication, long hours, education, sometimes low pay, etc. --- but do we expect celibacy?

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There are definitely parallels.

I watched my mother nurse for many years, and I think the boundaries in nursing are much better. When you clock off and go home, nobody is there ringing you about a patient and telling you that God expects you to be on hand for them every hour you're awake.

I realise that this sounds like I'm complaining, but it's not that exactly. I walked into this with my eyes wide open and knew what it would be like. But I see the damage it does to many people, to their marriages, to their family life, to their well being, and I think that churches are often unrealistic and treat their ministers badly because of it.

By pointing that out I hope I can help build a slightly healthier culture for all of us (including one where we can break down clericalism and truly empower the laity to take on some of the work and responsibility of church life!)
In industry a term often used by both employers and employees is work-life balance. Employers are meant to acknowledge that in order to maintain productive loyal employees, they need to also look after them. They need to ensure that the demands on the employee is reasonable and affords them the capacity to not only enjoy their job, but to enjoy their life in general. Is this a paradigm that the church is yet to embrace?

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There are lots of professions that demand commitment, dedication, long hours, education, sometimes low pay, etc. --- but do we expect celibacy?
Thats not a question I can answer, except to say its not my expectation

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In industry a term often used by both employers and employees is work-life balance. Employers are meant to acknowledge that in order to maintain productive loyal employees, they need to also look after them. They need to ensure that the demands on the employee is reasonable and affords them the capacity o not only enjoy their job, but to enjoy their life in general. Is this a paradigm that the church is yet to embrace?

It's paid lip service, but the conditions required to make it reality often just aren't there, and there's little will to change.

Upvote 0