Is believing in Jesus enough to be saved?

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Biblically, you must only believe and your belief should be visible in your life.

I think we're saying the same thing, more or less. Or rather I don't see how anything you wrote contradicts anything I wrote.

There is no "strive to have works to be saved" or something like this, in the Bible.

Yeah. That's why I didn't write that.

Upvote 0

Ilikecats

Dec 27, 2019
Alberta
✟57,244.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes for it is by God’s grace that which we are saved through faith.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- Ephesians 2:8

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simply put no believing in Jesus is not enough to be saved.
Well, there are numerous verses saying it is. If you mean mental belief, then I agree, but what is called belief when the Word says "Believe on the Lord and you shall be saved." is not only mental, it's trusting in him for salvation.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Believing in Jesus is the first step. One hears the gospel and believes, is baptized, then chrismated. Baptism cleanses us from all of our previous sins, and through chrismation we receive the Holy Spirit. Afterwards we are expected to be obedient and to participate in the sacramental life of the Church.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, there are numerous verses saying it is. If you mean mental belief, then I agree, but what is called belief when the Word says "Believe on the Lord and you shall be saved." is not only mental, it's trusting in him for salvation.
Mental belief is what I was going for my dude

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believing in Jesus is the first step. One hears the gospel and believes, is baptized, then chrismated. Baptism cleanses us from all of our previous sins, and through chrismation we receive the Holy Spirit. Afterwards we are expected to be obedient and to participate in the sacramental life of the Church.
Did the disciples get chrismated?
Sacraments don't save anyone.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Did the disciples get chrismated?
Sacraments don't save anyone.

Of course they did. On the day of Pentecost.

Now if you can find a person in the new testament who became a Christian without chrismation I'm interested in hearing about it.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Receiving the spirit isn't a ritual. It's not something you put on your schedule.

Now if you can find a person in the new testament who became a Christian without chrismation I'm interested in hearing about it.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Receiving the spirit isn't a ritual. It's not something you put on your schedule.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The demons believe in Christ and fully know that what He did for mankind is absolutely true. But they have not been given the saving faith to give up their rebellion against Him to put their full trust in Him as Saviour and Lord. They know that Jesus paid the penalty for sin on the cross, but not for their sin and rebellion. All they can look forward to is in fear for the judgment to come because they know that they will be spending eternity in the lake of fire, along with all those who have sided with them in their rejection of Christ.

Upvote 0