Not open for further replies.

Mylinkay Asdara

Voice of Li'Adan
Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Pagan
I leave for a day and the thread gets so nasty, ah well- time to clean up.
? Some faiths, such as Judism, have a different year. The Jewish faith starts, unless I am mistaken, from the time of Moses, and is also, I believe, uses a lunar calendar. A given date in history does not match the Christian calendar, even by offseting it by x years. Dates will change because the Jewish calendar is always a 28 day month. (This would be the year 5,764). I know that there are other faiths with different years, and ways of calculating each year. Mylinka Asdara, in Wicca, do you have a different calendar than the Christian calendar? Thank you.
Yes, some traditions use the Celtic calendar where the year begins as Samhain (Halloween) because the Celts believed that the next day began when the sun set therefore when the year 'sets' with Samhain it is at the same time the beggining of the next year. Others consider Yule, the return of the Sun the beggining of new year, but they are less common. The months can be marked in many ways and some even use the Druid Tree Calendar that has 13 months - one for each moon and sacred tree.

Moving on
Wicca is a religion. It is not inherentally witchcraft. BUT Wicca does permit and in some traditions even promote the use of magic and then the practitioner does cross over into practicing witchcraft. Not all Wiccans are Witches and not all Witches are Wiccans. So to make a blanket statement about Wicca and Witchcraft becomes rather difficult because a person does not have to practice Witchcraft just because they happen to be Wiccan.

Whitehorse- you asked about spells and magic. Magic is about energy and programing energy to acomplish a specific goal. If one wishes to cast a spell one uses tools (music, wands, candles, ect) to help them raise energy (usually within a sacred circle or blessed area that they have called their gods to for saftey and their blessings) then one focuses on the intent ("I need to get out of debt" or "Heal this aweful flu that has aflicted my sister" and so on) until they feel that the energy has become attuned with their intent. Then they would send the energy out of the circle into the wider world again so that it may influence whatever needs to be influenced to accomplish the intent. That's the basic idea.

As for Wiccans wanting power over people-
Not so. I know the site you quoted (all of them actually) rather intimately. They are all primers on Wicca and do not go into any depth really. Websites on Wicca rarely do because in truth we don't want a bunch of teens and tweens converting and then bouncing around doing spells all the time without following the religous aspects of Wicca first. Some pagan traditions are about power over people, Wicca is not one of them. Wicca's first goal is to be harmonious with the world around you. Harmony does not involve control over everything. Magic can only do so much (one of the first things any Wiccan learns, mainly through trial and error) and responsiblity becomes larger with the more power you have (another starting principle). No one really wants to be responsible for that much power in general. Wicca is about knowing yourself and the world around you well enought that you can get things in life accomplished without harming others and enjoy life a little while you are at it. Not exactly world domination is it?;)

Further, in regards to flaming. I realize (as does everyone else here I'm sure) that this is a Christian Board. We expect to be told that our ways are not the ways of your God. We expect to be told that your God will meet out justice and punishment on us if we do not comply with His laws (or what you perceive His laws to be, but that's neither here nor there right now) but to be heckled, berated, belittled, insulted purposely, and told to leave is pushing the line. There is a certian concept of expressing your beliefs politely and manners are what make the world go round. Remember, just as I am a representitive of my religion where ever I go and whatever I do, so too are you. There doesn't need to be swearing and nastiness to convey an opinion. I hope we can all get back to getting along as this is the season for love and charity and harmony in both our religions.:)

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
Thank you for answering my questions. I think I'll start a flamefest thread for these guys so they can get it accomplished there without being interrupted by our ontopic discussions. ;) I'll call it, Should Pagans and Christians Share the Same Site? Would those who wish to discuss it further please do so there so we can get back on topic here. I'll even set it up for you.

This is very interesting. May I ask some more questions?

So do they believe the gods are coming in harmony with their wills? Also, what determines who has how much power?

Upvote 0

Mylinkay Asdara

Voice of Li'Adan
Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Pagan
So do they believe the gods are coming in harmony with their wills? Also, what determines who has how much power?

Yes, to a certian extent they believe that the gods are harmonious with our wills... natrually if a god does not wish what you wish to be so it will not be so. Very simple. Hence, the request for their blessing when one is making magic. Also, making a spell is not just something a true Wiccan (or pagan for that matter) does on a mere whim. Things like trying to push a little nudge of energy to change a traffic light to you can try to make it to work on time- yes that's a spur of the moment thing but it's not a 'spell' and real spells require thought.

Deciding to make a spell is a big deal. Engery is used, and risks are taken. Karma states that the energy you put out there will eventuall cycle back to you. If you are sending out a lot of poorly programed or negative energy regularly you're going to be doing the hurting when it cycles back your way. Also magic takes work. Few spells are a simple one time use. Days of shoring up energy and chanting and focus are sometimes involved just to see an effect that will make a change. (Say your relative has a bad infection in a cut. You want to assist the healing with some magic because you hate seeing this person in pain. Buring a candle for them for an hour with no prep of energy is not going to do much of anything. Burning a candle everynight for an hour after meditation and energy raising while visualizing for a week or so will do a lot more) Again, this is a no brainer more or less for a spell, but other situations are more tricky. (Like deciding wether or not a protection spell is nessasary for someone or if a money spell is really something you want to do at a given jucture in life)

As for who has how much power: in theory and in a perfect world the answer is that everyone has equal power and equal access to their power. Of course, that's not so - but everyone's potential is equal. The power is in ourselves, our souls- the part of us that is still a part of the Divine and will be always. If one can tap into that part of themselves, their power would be as the Divine, but we haven't that type of enlightenment here on earth yet, and it's extremely rare that such things occur (mother's pulling cars off their children come to mind and other such feats) Often the power comes from a natural source (rocks, herbs, water, flame, so on) and is drawn from there. Other times it's channelled through the body of the practitioner in an effort to tap into the nimbus of energy in the space around us at all times. (Ever walk into a party and just feel like you hit a wall of an emotion?)

Let me know if I'm not being specific enough... it's sometimes hard to explain these types of things :)

Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
onionring said:
Well, now you've done it. You've changed your side of the debate from your facts, to accusation of what the other person thinks. That's not anyway to win a debate. Rather you are getting emotional and weakening your argument.

Youve been on this forum how long? Ive been debating longer than you, so I dont need advice from a forum newbie

I haven't seen anyone post that Wicca is hateful. And I know for a fact (having been apart of a wiccan covenant) that they do practice controlling others through spells.

Reread GOD4ME's posts, and controlling others is not something that is encouraged by thw wiccan religion. If people are doing that, its the same as someone praying to god for killing someone. Both are not things that the religions say to do

But instead of getting upset and frazzled, you should address that most all religions practice imposing their will on others. Christian do it when they pray.

EXAMPLE: "Lord, please help my husband to come to Christ."

You could argue that spells are your religion's form of worship and requesting something, and relate it to prayer. You could also argue wiccan spells are your form of prayer. Then the only issue is were does the power come from. This is what the real "meat and potatoes" argument is!

Thankyou for the advice

Christians believe that all power that doesn't come from God is impure. Are they wrong?

You had better suck it up and get focused if you want to win this argument. And you might want to explore wiccan a little more. It seems the Christians know (and have) more "facts" than you do.

:rolleyes: please dude, ive talked to many wiccans before

Upvote 0

Godschild

Cute Christian
Nov 12, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Visit site
✟444.00
Faith
Baptist
I've been reading the posts and trying to stay as updated as possible as to the information that is being given and the questions being asked by both sides. My question is this: You call upon the God/Goddess in order to do spells/prayer, what have you. But do you do anything else for/with your God/Goddess other than just spells/prayers? Like, do you talk to them, let them know things that are going on in your life? Are you able to go to your God/Goddess with your problems, pains? What is the main reason for having a Goddess? Just to get in touch w/nature? I think you should be able to feel loved by the God/Goddess that you serve. Can you honestly say to yourself "I believe that I feel loved by the God/Goddess that I serve"?? Can you say that? I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just asking questions as they come to me. But I really want to know.

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
The debate thread for whether or not pagans and Christians should share a site has been set up.
Enjoy, friends.

Mylinkay, you mentioned something about the energy and the divine; if I understood correctly, this comes from inside the person, from a part that is in touch with the divine. I guess I'm just confused as to why they use objects to harness the energy if it is in them. Also, why would these gods and goddesses allow this energy to be used by someone irresponsible, or who wishes to use it for harmful reasons.

Upvote 0

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
onionring said:
Strange...I was never taught that growing up? I was taught to "love" everyone, not "accept" (correct sp.) them.....

Sadly all meanings are implied when you "accept" someone. You qualify people lifestyles and actions, when you accept them. This isn't to say you cannot be their friends and love them.

EXAMPLE: You're father is an alcoholic. You love him, but do not accept his being an alcoholic. This does not make you less of a Christian, or wrong.
Very good point. We don't have to accept the beliefs of others, but we are told to still love them.

Upvote 0

Blissman

God is Truth- A. Einstein
Nov 29, 2003
IA, USA
Visit site
✟551.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Mylinkay Asdara said:
I leave for a day and the thread gets so nasty, ah well- time to clean up.

Yes, some traditions use the Celtic calendar where the year begins as Samhain (Halloween) because the Celts believed that the next day began when the sun set therefore when the year 'sets' with Samhain it is at the same time the beggining of the next year. Others consider Yule, the return of the Sun the beggining of new year, but they are less common. The months can be marked in many ways and some even use the Druid Tree Calendar that has 13 months - one for each moon and sacred tree.

Moving on
Wicca is a religion. It is not inherentally witchcraft. BUT Wicca does permit and in some traditions even promote the use of magic and then the practitioner does cross over into practicing witchcraft. Not all Wiccans are Witches and not all Witches are Wiccans. So to make a blanket statement about Wicca and Witchcraft becomes rather difficult because a person does not have to practice Witchcraft just because they happen to be Wiccan.

Whitehorse- you asked about spells and magic. Magic is about energy and programing energy to acomplish a specific goal. If one wishes to cast a spell one uses tools (music, wands, candles, ect) to help them raise energy (usually within a sacred circle or blessed area that they have called their gods to for saftey and their blessings) then one focuses on the intent ("I need to get out of debt" or "Heal this aweful flu that has aflicted my sister" and so on) until they feel that the energy has become attuned with their intent. Then they would send the energy out of the circle into the wider world again so that it may influence whatever needs to be influenced to accomplish the intent. That's the basic idea.

As for Wiccans wanting power over people-
Not so. I know the site you quoted (all of them actually) rather intimately. They are all primers on Wicca and do not go into any depth really. Websites on Wicca rarely do because in truth we don't want a bunch of teens and tweens converting and then bouncing around doing spells all the time without following the religous aspects of Wicca first. Some pagan traditions are about power over people, Wicca is not one of them. Wicca's first goal is to be harmonious with the world around you. Harmony does not involve control over everything. Magic can only do so much (one of the first things any Wiccan learns, mainly through trial and error) and responsiblity becomes larger with the more power you have (another starting principle). No one really wants to be responsible for that much power in general. Wicca is about knowing yourself and the world around you well enought that you can get things in life accomplished without harming others and enjoy life a little while you are at it. Not exactly world domination is it?;)

Further, in regards to flaming. I realize (as does everyone else here I'm sure) that this is a Christian Board. We expect to be told that our ways are not the ways of your God. We expect to be told that your God will meet out justice and punishment on us if we do not comply with His laws (or what you perceive His laws to be, but that's neither here nor there right now) but to be heckled, berated, belittled, insulted purposely, and told to leave is pushing the line. There is a certian concept of expressing your beliefs politely and manners are what make the world go round. Remember, just as I am a representitive of my religion where ever I go and whatever I do, so too are you. There doesn't need to be swearing and nastiness to convey an opinion. I hope we can all get back to getting along as this is the season for love and charity and harmony in both our religions.:)
Thank you for helping to clear this up. There is a lot about Wiccan which I had never known. I am a Christian, and Witchcraft is evil in my faith, but the Wiccan faith and Witchcraft are ambiguous to me. I know that it says that Witchcraft is essentially anti Christ, but if anyone had ever asked me what
Christianity had meant by Witchcraft, there would be some confusion as to what was, and was not witchcraft (as meant by the Bible). By this, I mean what about entertainment? There are some obvious 'magic tricks' that we may have seen as a child. I doubt that is what is meant in the Bible. Similarly, is the 'Witch' nor the 'Wizzard' in the "Wizzard of Oz". Children can tell the difference between reality and and entertainment.

Plainly, I do not know anything about Witchcraft. Nor much about Wiccan.
For me, learning another's faith is interesting. I thank those who have helped me understand it to the small extent that I know it.

Upvote 0

PreacherJoe

Dec 18, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
✟15,199.00
Faith
Christian
Regardless of what a Wiccan pledges to do be it kind or not....If you are a Christian you have the only motivation you need to do good.

(Col. 3:23)-And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
(1 Cor. 10:31)-Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Not only that but Wiccan is just a nice word for witch or witchcraft and the bible speaks to the sin of witchcraft.
(Gal. 5:19)-Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
(20)-Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

And consider how witches were to be dealt with under the law before this age of grace.
(Exodus 22:18)-Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
True, Preacher Joe. Good scriptures. I think a lot of beliefs get muddled in this age of postmodernism, and that's the reason for the potluck of beliefs. That's why I want to know everything that is floating around out there.

But as important as the right church doctrines are, for even many in the church do not know God, the true test of faith is in the heart.

1*John 3

:10In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
PreacherJoe said:
Regardless of what a Wiccan pledges to do be it kind or not....If you are a Christian you have the only motivation you need to do good.
Thats nonsense. Im atheist, yet I have motivation to do good because I like doing things for others to make them happy.

Upvote 0

GOD4ME

Dec 20, 2003
✟180.00
Faith
Christian
It depends how you define that. If you mean I want to make wiccieeeen loving pigtail movie watcher Christians look bad. Then your right I do! I don't know any moral Christians who promote Wiccan and are'nt living in sin!!! Ever heard of debate, I wish you'd do it on this forum instead of talking about your great potions!!!

And I don't know any true Christians who get their jollies belittiling people.

You are very blind. Are you really taking what the Wiccans have said? They are in no way acting the way you have described.

And would everyone please stop telling them to leave? Christians are taught to except everyone, though it seems the better part of you would rather push them away.

If you don't wan't to except what the article say's thats fine with me. Also when you say that I'm belittiling people. You did not read what happend before that. He or she called me an AHOLE!!! The facts are presented I don't care if you except them or not! However don't go complaining that just because I dissagree with I'm FLAMING!!!

PS. Merry Christmas

Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
GOD4ME said:
It depends how you define that. If you mean I want to make wiccieeeen loving pigtail movie watcher Christians look bad. Then your right I do! I don't know any moral Christians who promote Wiccan and are'nt living in sin!!! Ever heard of debate, I wish you'd do it on this forum instead of talking about your great potions!!!

What in the heck are you talking about? I dont see any christians here "promoting" the wiccan religion. I see some angry ignorant biggot Fred Phelps wannabe bashing the Wiccans for comming here for intellectual discussion and debate. No one is talking about their "great postions" and your making harrasing and discriminating comments

You are very blind. Are you really taking what the Wiccans have said? They are in no way acting the way you have described.

I have yet to see the wiccans talk about their "great potions" and try to shove their religion down your throat

If you don't wan't to except what the article say's thats fine with me. Also when you say that I'm belittiling people. You did not read what happend before that. He or she called me an AHOLE!!! The facts are presented I don't care if you except them or not! However don't go complaining that just because I dissagree with I'm FLAMING!!!

I called you an A-hole because you are acting like one. This discussion was highly civilized and informative until you came here and started flaming everyone. You have yet to present any facts that the Wiccan religion promotes controlling others and generally does evil things. You have every right to disagree, but when you do it by literally trying to rip them apart, thats called FLAMING

PS. Merry Christmas

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blissman

God is Truth- A. Einstein
Nov 29, 2003
IA, USA
Visit site
✟551.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A respectful note to GOD4ME about Christianity and Wiccan.

Jesus had said to forgive the sinner. Sir, you don't don't know if tomorrow a Wiccan will find Christ. Many Wiccans have. They may not find Jesus if they are banned from visiting a Christian forum. Let them stay, and see Christians at their best. We can talk, and espouse our faith to non-believers. If they reject us, as a person who is a Christian, they may also reject Christ. People are likely to reject the speaker who is only damning, and never hear the message of Christ. Respectfully, let the Wiccans stay, and learn Christianity by our kindness as people. We know who is a Wiccan, for they have not deceived us. The devil works by deception. The Devil does not reveal to us that he is the devil. No Christian, unless their faith is weak, will loose their faith by knowing that a person is a Wiccan. If your faith is that weak, you do not need a Wiccan to loss all faith. The Wiccans whom have posted here have not tried to promote Witchcraft. They have answered questions. God Bless you.

Upvote 0

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Blissman said:
A respectful note to GOD4ME about Christianity and Wiccan.

Jesus had said to forgive the sinner. Sir, you don't don't know if tomorrow a Wiccan will find Christ. Many Wiccans have. They may not find Jesus if they are banned from visiting a Christian forum. Let them stay, and see Christians at their best. We can talk, and espouse or faith to non-believers. If they reject us, as a person who is a Christian, they may also reject Christ. People are likely to reject the speaker who is only damning, and never hear the message of Christ. Respectfully, let the Wiccans stay, and learn Christianity by our kindness as people. We know who is a Wiccan, for they have not deceived us. The devil works by deception. The Devil does not reveal to us that he is the devil. No Christian, unless their faith is weak, will loose their faith by knowing that a person is a Wiccan. If your faith is that weak, you do not need a Wiccan to loss all faith. The Wiccans whom have posted here have not tried to promote Witchcraft. They have answered questions. God Bless you.
Touchè

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD.
Isaiah 1:18

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.