Is AW TOZER a Calvinist?

alwaysJesus

Mar 23, 2013
✟7,619.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to learn about Calvinism. So, my friend, who is a Calvinist, refer me to AW Tozer. But, his writing seem so un-Calvinistic to me ... Is he really a Calvinist?

I'm new at Calvinism. But, stuff like this doesn't sound Calvinist to me unless I'm just not understanding Calvinism.

""If atonement was made for all men, why are all men not saved? The answer is that before redemption becomes effective toward the individual there is an act which that man must do. That act is not one of merit, but of CONDITION"

"Failure to distinguish God's part from man's has resulted in mental confusion and moral inaction among Christians"

"God in His mercy may incline us to repent and by His inworking Spirit assist us to repent; but before we can be saved we must of our own FREE WILL repent toward God and believe in Jesus Christ."

All from Tozer's book, "Power to Paths"

Can you guys let me know if Tozer is a Calvinist and if those quotes from Tozer's book agree with Calvinism? If not, do you guys know a good Calvinist book I can read? I'm getting frustrated bc my friend keeps insisting that I finish the book because Tozer is a Calvinist. But, I'm just not seeing it from the book I'm reading.

Elderone

Mar 31, 2004
SW PA
✟11,217.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
All I know about A.W. Tozer is what you just posted and that is NOT Calvinism.

A good place to start reading is the Westminster Confession of Faith. Most, if not all, Calvinists subscribe to that. There are many on the internet with proof texts and commentary if you wish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alwaysJesus

Mar 23, 2013
✟7,619.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your confirmation Elderone. It didn't seem like Calvinism to me, either. But, my friend who has been a Calvinist for a long time refer me to that book and when I questioned him about those statements, he told me that Calvinism agrees with those statements. So, it did confuse me ... I need a good book now. LoL ..

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status