Is Anti-Zionist Chuck Baldwin the Worst Pastor in America?

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Chuck Baldwin refers to "genocides" by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. He follows that up, saying, "Netanyahu and his Zionist predecessors have murdered over 5 million Palestinians."

Huh?

"What business is it of ours to fight Saudi Arabia and Israel's wars?" Baldwin asks.

I find this to be one of the disturbing lies about international events I have ever heard. The actual fact is that there are NO American troops stationed in Israel, although the US has troops in many other countries. The US does not have a security treaty with Israel, although we have security treaties with Canada, Australia, and western Europe. Israel is a country with serious security problems but Israelis have always fought their own wars.

Baldwin goes on to say that the US is a "puppet state for Israel" and that "the American people" are being "duped." Donald Trump is "owned" by Zionists. Baldwin blames "Christian Zionism" for "the perpetual wars that are being carried out by the U.S. military on behalf of Israel."

Really? Syria has been embroiled in a terrible civil war for years, right on Israel's border. The US doesn't have any troops there.

In another article, Baldwin asks who the "Real Enemy" is and then complains that most Christians believe that "Zionists are our friends." He uses phrases like "Zionist Israel" and the "Zionist State of Israel," then says that Israel is the "biggest sponsor of terrorism in the Middle East." (Along with Saudi Arabia.)

Fact Check: It is Iran who is is supporting Hezbollah in Lebanon, Hamas in the Gaza Strip, and probably groups I don't even know about.

In another article, Baldwin says that "Zionism is one of America's greatest threats." He complains that "Zionism reigns supreme" and that Jews control the media. He mentions "Jewish mafia billionaires" and "Jewish billionaire Rothschild bankers," citing one of his own past fulminations as evidence.

Actually, today there are no members of the Rothschild family involved in banking.

From here, Baldwain attacks Chabad, a Jewish sect, calling them the "Ashkenazi Jewish mafia."

"Chabadism is linked to sexual child abuse, drug running, human trafficking, organized crime, financial fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, and political intimidation ..." we are told.

<< Baldwin believes that "the South was right in the War Between the States," and that the leaders of the Confederacy were not racists. He uses the term "War for Southern Independence." >>--Wikipedia

If the examples given above look more political than religious, Baldwin has run for President several times as candidate for the Constitution Party.

It's difficult to respond rationally to someone like Chuck Baldwin, who has little or no notion of evidence. One thing that emerges is that he puts great stress on the destruction of Jerusalem, with the Temple, in 70 AD. Jesus predicts this in Matthew 24.

He goes beyond what the Bible tells us on this subject, however. Baldwin specifically says that the destruction of Jerusalem was God's punishment of the Jews for rejecting Jesus as the Messiah. The New Testament does not say this in the Gospels or anywhere else. The Gospels say that the Jews are being punished for their sins but exactly what sins result in the destruction of the Temple and the city of Jerusalem is never spelled out.

To Chuck Baldwin, it is perfectly clear. The Jews were condemned for rejecting Jesus at the time of the crucifixion in 29 AD, when the Romans destroyed Jerusalem in 70 AD, and the same applies to modern Israel today.

I'm not going to tell God how to deal with Israel but a few observations are in order. At the time of the crucifixion, Israel was governed by a Jewish King, subordinate to Rome, and also by the Sanhedrin. The Sanhedrin was an assembly of Rabbis elected by Rabbis, presided over by a Chief Priest, who was a member of the Levite priesthood appointed by the King. In many ways, Israel at that time was a theocracy. We can say that Jesus was executed, crucified, by a theocracy, with permission from the Roman Governor. The Gospels tell us that many of the common people admired Jesus, as seen in the entry into Jerusalem but the rulers found Him to be a threat to their authority.

Modern Israel is a Republic and a liberal democracy with an independent court system. There is no state church, although there is some religious legislation. Many Moslems and Christians are citizens, and residents who are non-citizens can vote in local elections. There are numerous churches and monasteries.

The modern State of Israel is quite different from Israel at the time of the ministry of Jesus and New Testament times. It is irrational to lump them together for condemnation.

The CBS News program 60 Minutes once asked Rev. Billy Graham what he thought about anti-semitism. Graham replied: "Jesus was born a Jew, lived a Jew and died a Jew."

Apparently, Chuck Baldwin doesn't see it that way, but he should think again.

Links
Trump Is Making Israel and Saudi Arabia Great
https://russia-insider.com/en/polit...americans-who-identify-patriots-have-no-idea-
Donald Trump, John Hagee, Zionism And The Chabad

Last edited:

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"What business is it of ours to fight Saudi Arabia and Israel's wars?" Baldwin asks.

What is going on here? Chuck Baldwin is strongly opposed to the Iraq War, the invasion of Iraq that happened in 2003 under President George W. Bush. Or maybe he was disillusioned by the results.

The problem with Baldwin's conclusion is that Israel didn't ask the US to invade Iraq. The decision was made in Washington and justified as a response to the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center.

Invading Iraq was largely a project of Vice-President Dick Cheney and his neoconservative pals. In 1997, a number of neocons established an advocacy organization, the Project for a New American Century, abbreviated as PNAC. PNAC advocated an invasion to remove Saddam Hussein as early as 1998, before the 9-11 attacks.

<< PNAC set up a meeting in 1998 between Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Perle, and Sandy Berger, Clinton’s national security advisor, to argue the case for intervention. In February 1998, Wolfowitz had testified before the House International Relations Committee that regime change in Iraq was the “only way to rescue the region and the world from the threat” posed by Hussein. >>

A dozen neoconservatives associated with the Project for a New American Century were appointed to top jobs in the Administration of George W. Bush.

<< Shortly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, on September 20, 2001, PNAC issued an open letter to Bush that commended his newly declared “war on terrorism” and urged him not only to target Osama bin Laden but also other supposed “perpetrators,” including Saddam Hussein and Hezbollah. >>

It makes no sense to blame Israel for a policy so strongly advocated by influential and powerful Americans.

Link
Project for the New American Century

Here is one summary of Dick Cheney's role in the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

"Cheney was a war hawk and advocated for the war, even going so far as to lie about the reasons of the U.S. invasion."

Link
Dick Cheney & the Iraq War | Study.com

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Chuck Baldwin refers to "genocides" by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu...

I'm not a fan of Baldwin, but I'm going to vote "no" on your informal poll.

I can think of many pastors who are worse than someone who thinks we ought not be fighting Israel's and/or Saudi Arabia's wars. Some of those who have sexually abused children for example.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The notion that Christians must support the modern state of Israel has no Biblical backing. The notion that modern Jews are in any way relevant to the Christian faith has no Biblical backing. Let Israel and the middle east go to war, let them have peace. It matters not to Christians what heathen nations with godless religions do. More importantly, we should stay out of the region entirely.

As for Baldwin, I've never heard of him. In light of the plethora of heretics manning American pulpits, I can't say he is the worst. Opposing Israel shouldn't even get him on Christians radar.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not a fan of Baldwin, but I'm going to vote "no" on your informal poll.

I can think of many pastors who are worse than someone who thinks we ought not be fighting Israel's and/or Saudi Arabia's wars. Some of those who have sexually abused children for example.

Albion: "I can think of many pastors who are worse than someone who thinks we ought not be fighting Israel's and/or Saudi Arabia's wars. Some of those who have sexually abused children for example."

I don't always know what pastors do behind closed doors but I can find out what they teach in public.

I can't imagine why you would give any credibility to the notion that the US is fighting Israel's wars. The only reason that Baldwin mentions Israel and Saudi Arabia in the same sentence is to confuse the issue. Since he has no evidence for the position he takes, that's all he can do.

Chuck Baldwin like to talk as if Israel and Saudi Arabia are working hand in glove in the Middle East. Actually, for most of the time since the founding of the State of Israel, they have been bitter enemies. A few years ago, it was news when a boat belonging to the Israeli military ran aground on a Saudi beach. It was news because the Saudis let the Israelis rescue their stranded soldiers without shooting at them.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The notion that Christians must support the modern state of Israel has no Biblical backing. The notion that modern Jews are in any way relevant to the Christian faith has no Biblical backing. Let Israel and the middle east go to war, let them have peace. It matters not to Christians what heathen nations with godless religions do. More importantly, we should stay out of the region entirely.

As for Baldwin, I've never heard of him. In light of the plethora of heretics manning American pulpits, I can't say he is the worst. Opposing Israel shouldn't even get him on Christians radar.

Redwingfan: "The notion that Christians must support the modern state of Israel has no Biblical backing."

Chuck Baldwin seems to be saying that all Christians are obligated to oppose both the State of Israel as well as Judaism itself, and everything that Jews do.

Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East. Like the US, Israel is largely a country of immigrants. It is a surprisingly diverse country and it has survived when the "experts" thought they would be overrun by their enemies. Supporting Israel is good foreign policy.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the early days I admired and supported Jewish struggle for a safe and secure homeland . However in doing so they adopted the same tactics as the Nazis used. I fully recognize the complexities of the situation but there has to be a humane solution for both the Israelis and the Palestinians. The continued unquestioning support for Israel does not contribute to a solution and may actually be preventing or delaying one.

• Agree
Reactions: Redwingfan9
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Albion: "I can think of many pastors who are worse than someone who thinks we ought not be fighting Israel's and/or Saudi Arabia's wars. Some of those who have sexually abused children for example."

I don't always know what pastors do behind closed doors but I can find out what they teach in public.
Maybe the question should have been reworded in that case.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Redwingfan: "The notion that Christians must support the modern state of Israel has no Biblical backing."

Chuck Baldwin seems to be saying that all Christians are obligated to oppose both the State of Israel as well as Judaism itself, and everything that Jews do.

Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East. Like the US, Israel is largely a country of immigrants. It is a surprisingly diverse country and it has survived when the "experts" thought they would be overrun by their enemies. Supporting Israel is good foreign policy.
There is nothing Biblical about liberal democracy, we should not place form of government above Biblical morality. Liberal democracies can elect leaders who are every bit as evil as those in a dictatorship or monarchy.

I am generally indifferent when it comes to Israel and the middle east. Battles between heathen Jews and heathen Muslims are of no concern to me. I am more troubled by American Christians who expect believers to support Israel as a matter of Biblical command. They have made up fairytales about end times and modern Israel and forced it into scripture and then they ruthlessly attack anyone who questions Israel as though their actions are Godly. In reality there is plenty to attack Israel for, not the least of which is their abominable treatment of Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There is nothing Biblical about liberal democracy, we should not place form of government above Biblical morality. Liberal democracies can elect leaders who are every bit as evil as those in a dictatorship or monarchy.

I am generally indifferent when it comes to Israel and the middle east. Battles between heathen Jews and heathen Muslims are of no concern to me. I am more troubled by American Christians who expect believers to support Israel as a matter of Biblical command. They have made up fairytales about end times and modern Israel and forced it into scripture and then they ruthlessly attack anyone who questions Israel as though their actions are Godly. In reality there is plenty to attack Israel for, not the least of which is their abominable treatment of Christians.

Redwingfan: "Liberal democracies can elect leaders who are every bit as evil as those in a dictatorship or monarchy."

I'm not sure why you think that if bad leaders are elected, it is a lot easier to remove them in a democracy.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Christians are being persecuted in Israel but consider this. Christians United for Israel, CUFI, is an organization associated with Rev. James Hagee.

From their website:

"In the Middle East, the Christian population has fallen dramatically in the last century due to extreme and violent persecution. However, in Israel, Christians are free to worship and practice their faith freely, and the Christian population is steadily growing."

To look at an independent source on what CUFI stands for:

"At CUFI's 4th annual convention, CUFI Florida state director Scott Thomas, who is senior pastor at Without Walls Central in Lakeland, Florida, states that CUFI's support of Israel is not related to Christian escahatology (one of the features of dispensaitonalism, which holds that the modern state of Israel has a central role in bringing about the second coming of Jesus Christ) since Christians believe that there is nothing they can do to speed up that process. Thomas also cited Chapter 12 of the Book of Genesis, which states that God will bless those who bless the Jews and curses those who curse the Jews, and said that his Christian faith couldn't exist without the foundation of Judaism. "

Links
Christian Persecution | Christians United for Israel
Christians United for Israel - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure where you got the idea that Christians are being persecuted in Israel but consider this. Christians United for Israel, CUFI, is an organization associated with Rev. James Hagee.

From their website:

"In the Middle East, the Christian population has fallen dramatically in the last century due to extreme and violent persecution. However, in Israel, Christians are free to worship and practice their faith freely, and the Christian population is steadily growing."

To look at an independent source on what CUFI stands for:

"At CUFI's 4th annual convention, CUFI Florida state director Scott Thomas, who is senior pastor at Without Walls Central in Lakeland, Florida, states that CUFI's support of Israel is not related to Christian escahatology (one of the features of dispensaitonalism, which holds that the modern state of Israel has a central role in bringing about the second coming of Jesus Christ) since Christians believe that there is nothing they can do to speed up that process. Thomas also cited Chapter 12 of the Book of Genesis, which states that God will bless those who bless the Jews and curses those who curse the Jews, and said that his Christian faith couldn't exist without the foundation of Judaism. "

Links
Christian Persecution | Christians United for Israel
Christians United for Israel - Wikipedia
Laws dating back to the 70s make it illegal to proselytize Jews. There are also laws on the books mandating the ripping out of the new testament in any Christian Bible owned by a Jew. Their major templenin Jerusalem (forget the name) has engraved on the wall that Jesus was not the son of God. Meanwhile passages in the Talmud indicate Jesus is in Hell boiling in a pot of sperm and Christians are boiling in a pot of excrement. In what world do you think Jews don't hate Christians and use their state to persecute us?

Beyond that, historically 20% of the Palestinians have been Christians. That number is down substantially due to Israeli persecution, many Christians have been able to leave.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Laws dating back to the 70s make it illegal to proselytize Jews. There are also laws on the books mandating the ripping out of the new testament in any Christian Bible owned by a Jew. Their major templenin Jerusalem (forget the name) has engraved on the wall that Jesus was not the son of God. Meanwhile passages in the Talmud indicate Jesus is in Hell boiling in a pot of sperm and Christians are boiling in a pot of excrement. In what world do you think Jews don't hate Christians and use their state to persecute us?

Beyond that, historically 20% of the Palestinians have been Christians. That number is down substantially due to Israeli persecution, many Christians have been able to leave.

Redwingfan: "There are also laws on the books mandating the ripping out of the new testament in any Christian Bible owned by a Jew."

This isn't true. Where did you get that?

Redwingfan: "Meanwhile passages in the Talmud indicate Jesus is in Hell boiling in a pot of sperm and Christians are boiling in a pot of excrement. In what world do you think Jews don't hate Christians and use their state to persecute us?"

The State of Israel was founded as a secular state. It isn't run by the Talmud. I know enough about the Talmud to say that it contains a bewildering variety of opinions, compiled by rabbis.

For some perspective:
"Ten Christian churches are formally recognized under Israel's confessional system, for the self-regulation and state recognition of status issues ..." These issues include marriage and divorce.
"However, the practice of religion is free, with no restrictions on the practice of other denominations."

On what is happening to the numbers of Christians in Israel:
"The Christian population in Israel has increased significantly with the immigration of many mixed families from the former Soviet Union (1989-late 1990s) and by the influx of some 10,000 Christian Maronites from Lebanon in 2000."

Link
Christianity in Israel - Wikipedia

Redwingfan: "Their major templenin Jerusalem (forget the name) has engraved on the wall that Jesus was not the son of God."

This is not believable. For one thing, Jews don't really object to the term "son of God."

<< Yet the term [son of God] by no means carries the idea of physical descent from, and essential unity with, God the Father. The Hebrew idiom conveys nothing further than a simple expression of godlikeness (see Godliness). In fact, the term "son of God" is rarely used in Jewish literature in the sense of"Messiah." >>

Link
SON OF GOD - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Redwingfan: "There are also laws on the books mandating the ripping out of the new testament in any Christian Bible owned by a Jew."

This can't be true. Let me tell you what I have found out about Bibles in Israel. The following is from an article on the website of The Bible Society in Israel.

"Then in 1976 the first modern Hebrew New Testaments were printed by the Yanetz Press in Jerusalem." On another occasion, "The Bible Society located a secular printer with offices in Tel Aviv and its print operation in Nazareth."

A second translation of the New Testament into modern Hebrew was sponsored by Living Bible International and put out under several titles, including "The Man from Bethlehem." These were mostly distributed free.

When the Bible Society in Israel wanted to import Bibles, they obtained a ruling from the Israeli government that "the holy scriptures" in Israeli law includes the New Testament. That ruling exempted New Testaments and Bibles containing the New Testament from import duties. On another occasion, the Bible Society obtained a favorable ruling from an official who "was quite familiar with the New Testament."

Link
Hebrew Bible Translation and Publication - Bible Society in Israel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

This isn't true. Where did you get that?

Redwingfan: "Meanwhile passages in the Talmud indicate Jesus is in Hell boiling in a pot of sperm and Christians are boiling in a pot of excrement. In what world do you think Jews don't hate Christians and use their state to persecute us?"

The State of Israel was founded as a secular state. It isn't run by the Talmud. I know enough about the Talmud to say that it contains a bewildering variety of opinions, compiled by rabbis.

For some perspective:
"Ten Christian churches are formally recognized under Israel's confessional system, for the self-regulation and state recognition of status issues ..." These issues include marriage and divorce.
"However, the practice of religion is free, with no restrictions on the practice of other denominations."

On what is happening to the numbers of Christians in Israel:
"The Christian population in Israel has increased significantly with the immigration of many mixed families from the former Soviet Union (1989-late 1990s) and by the influx of some 10,000 Christian Maronites from Lebanon in 2000."

Link
Christianity in Israel - Wikipedia

Redwingfan: "Their major templenin Jerusalem (forget the name) has engraved on the wall that Jesus was not the son of God."

This is not believable. For one thing, Jews don't really object to the term "son of God."

<< Yet the term [son of God] by no means carries the idea of physical descent from, and essential unity with, God the Father. The Hebrew idiom conveys nothing further than a simple expression of godlikeness (see Godliness). In fact, the term "son of God" is rarely used in Jewish literature in the sense of"Messiah." >>

Link
SON OF GOD - JewishEncyclopedia.com
Stop defending Jews and Israel. They are not God's chosen people anymore. Christians are. The fact is that Christians aren't full citizens in Israel, they are not entitled to vote. Christian palestinians are subject to persecution not just from Muslims but from Jews as well. And yes, in 1978 the Israeli government began open persecution of Christians, banning proselytizing and demanding the new testament be destroyed in Christian homes. Jews are the enemies of Jesus, just like Muslims and every other false religion.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

This can't be true. Let me tell you what I have found out about Bibles in Israel. The following is from an article on the website of The Bible Society in Israel.

"Then in 1976 the first modern Hebrew New Testaments were printed by the Yanetz Press in Jerusalem." On another occasion, "The Bible Society located a secular printer with offices in Tel Aviv and its print operation in Nazareth."

A second translation of the New Testament into modern Hebrew was sponsored by Living Bible International and put out under several titles, including "The Man from Bethlehem." These were mostly distributed free.

When the Bible Society in Israel wanted to import Bibles, they obtained a ruling from the Israeli government that "the holy scriptures" in Israeli law includes the New Testament. That ruling exempted New Testaments and Bibles containing the New Testament from import duties. On another occasion, the Bible Society obtained a favorable ruling from an official who "was quite familiar with the New Testament."

Link
Hebrew Bible Translation and Publication - Bible Society in Israel

Some people have a talent for making up facts out of thin air and yet other people believe them.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Stop defending Jews and Israel. They are not God's chosen people anymore. Christians are. The fact is that Christians aren't full citizens in Israel, they are not entitled to vote. Christian palestinians are subject to persecution not just from Muslims but from Jews as well. And yes, in 1978 the Israeli government began open persecution of Christians, banning proselytizing and demanding the new testament be destroyed in Christian homes. Jews are the enemies of Jesus, just like Muslims and every other false religion.

Redwingfan: "The fact is that Christians aren't full citizens in Israel, they are not entitled to vote."

This isn't true at all. Take a look at this news story from 2013.

Christian MK calls for Knesset Christmas tree
Israeli parliament considering request from lawmaker Hanna Swaid, who also wants House closed for Christian holidays

<< A Christian member of Knesset called on Thursday for the Israeli parliament to host a Christmas tree that would honor Israel’s “multiculturalism” and its Christian minority. A Knesset spokesperson said the request was under consideration. >>

<< The placement of the tree would be “a gesture toward Christian members of Knesset and citizens of Israel, and a symbol of [Israel’s] ties to the Christian world generally.” >>

Link
Christian MK calls for Knesset Christmas tree

Upvote 0