Is a male working in the Medical Field other than a being a doctor a sin?

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think perhaps you could use some counseling. You have to be able to speak and write the proper names of the human anatomy without hesitation or guilt. I would have no problem being examined by a male nurse, but I would have a problem being examined by someone who seems extremely nervous by having to see or touch my body. It would strike me as unprofessional at best. I'm just being honest here.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not working in a medical field yet, but I am almost finished with school to become a medical assistant and I feel really guilty because I was required to do EKG's on other girls in my class (it is an all girl class, I am the only male) and will have to do it in the future probably too. I felt really dirty and perverted after doing it and feel that I made a horrible mistake in choosing this career as a guy. I am not saying that I am any type of worker in this field yet, I am not impersonating anyone.

No, it is not a sin.

However, if you are dealing with a lust issue, you need to deal with that.

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not working in a medical field yet, but I am almost finished with school to become a medical assistant and I feel really guilty because I was required to do EKG's on other girls in my class (it is an all girl class, I am the only male) and will have to do it in the future probably too. I felt really dirty and perverted after doing it and feel that I made a horrible mistake in choosing this career as a guy. I am not saying that I am any type of worker in this field yet, I am not impersonating anyone.
No, it's not a sin and there are many male nurses as well as female doctors. Medical professionals of all genders have a unique calling or vocation to help others and treat illnesses. The human body is not dirty and everyone, male or female, needs medical care. When people go to the doctor, they give permission for procedures to take place.

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
If you can't even type the word "breast", how are you going to chart on a patient?

"The "B" word" isn't going to cut it on a legal medical document.
You are absolutely right; medical professionals, of any religion, need to be prepared to treat all patients and do their jobs to their utmost ability. Also, both men and women have breasts. I do not see why there are some who are so afraid of the human body.

• Agree
Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But it is illegal for a man to touch a woman in the B word (the six letter proper singular spelling, not the 4 letter vulgar spelling)

What is illegal is only if you did it --inappropriately--.

Depends entirely on the situation. If you intently touched a woman's breast for no valid reason at all and you're not her husband then that is inappropriate.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel no arousal, it just does not seem right to do it.
OK- so it is not a lust problem. That is good.

Now you should examine WHY it seems wrong to you, where that idea came from, and determine if that is truly from God; and if not, how to change your viewpoint.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
It is shocking to look at a person's bare chest or body when you are first learning how to be a medical professional. That is normal. We all feel it. But as you realize that what you are doing is necessary and important for someone's health, you learn to put your discomfort aside and actually care for your patient. As a nurse, I often have to physically mover a woman's breast out of the way to listen to her lung sounds.

Simple let her know what you are about to do and ask her permission to touch, and then put on your game face because the ECG is important for her appropriate care. Cover as much of her as possible with blankets and her clothing ... say, "I apologize but I will need to touch your left breast area to put the electrodes where they belong, is that okay?"... have your electrodes ready and simply cup the breast with one hand, hold it out of the way, and put on the 6 electrodes that need to be around that left breast (you can hold the electrode sheet using the fingers on the hand holding the breast. If you do it right, you touch her once...holding it firmly until you are done and you don't have to touch over and over again. When you are done, give her permission to take the electrodes off herself (many people don't know they can take them off and wear them forever). Eventually, it will become common place and you won't need to put on your game face anymore because it won't feel so shocking.

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I feel no arousal, it just does not seem right to do it.

Why? What do you think it is that makes it feel evil? You are helping these women and will be helping you're future patients. The human body is not inherently sexual or dirty.

Upvote 0

Rhapsody

Mar 11, 2006
✟53,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Biblically, yes, it had been women that helped women in private situations like childbirth. I think you can safely listen to your sense of right/wrong in this case, and possibly save yourself from future troubles. I've met some people who will only do what they are comfortable with, and I have thought they made a good choice. I'm not unfamiliar with the idea that some who care for others can be somewhat immune to any sense of inappropriateness, focusing on a wish to help; that can be the only way the one who needs help receives help. On the other hand, we know this setting has changed lives for the worse on both sides, which is why I don't encourage it if it can be avoided.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Biblically, yes, it had been women that helped women in private situations like childbirth. I think you can safely listen to your sense of right/wrong in this case, and possibly save yourself from future troubles. I've met some people who will only do what they are comfortable with, and I have thought they made a good choice. I'm not unfamiliar with the idea that some who care for others can be somewhat immune to any sense of inappropriateness, focusing on a wish to help; that can be the only way the one who needs help receives help. On the other hand, we know this setting has changed lives for the worse on both sides, which is why I don't encourage it if it can be avoided.

It isn't inappropriate...it just is outside our comfort zone initially. I have men and women who are uncomfortable changing a diaper on their opposite sex newborn....even though there is nothing inappropriate about caring for your newborn. I actually find the human body fascinating and beautiful now as I have become more comfortable with it. I actually find it sad that a society we have sexualize everything to the point that we are too modest to actually even appreciate our own bodies. They were designed by our God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It is shocking to look at a person's bare chest or body when you are first learning how to be a medical professional. That is normal. We all feel it. But as you realize that what you are doing is necessary and important for someone's health, you learn to put your discomfort aside and actually care for your patient. As a nurse, I often have to physically mover a woman's breast out of the way to listen to her lung sounds.

Simple let her know what you are about to do and ask her permission to touch, and then put on your game face because the ECG is important for her appropriate care. Cover as much of her as possible with blankets and her clothing ... say, "I apologize but I will need to touch your left breast area to put the electrodes where they belong, is that okay?"... have your electrodes ready and simply cup the breast with one hand, hold it out of the way, and put on the 6 electrodes that need to be around that left breast (you can hold the electrode sheet using the fingers on the hand holding the breast. If you do it right, you touch her once...holding it firmly until you are done and you don't have to touch over and over again. When you are done, give her permission to take the electrodes off herself (many people don't know they can take them off and wear them forever). Eventually, it will become common place and you won't need to put on your game face anymore because it won't feel so shocking.
That's almost exactly how I do it too. Instead of cupping a breast to move it, though, I just slide my hand under along the ribs, palm down, and lift up with the back of my hand.

A lot of women will wear a sports bra if they know they are going to have an ECG and that makes things a lot simpler. Otherwise, you can use a gown tucked under and pretty much do the whole thing without exposing anything but their belly.

Upvote 0

Little Moon

Sep 6, 2017
Melbourne
✟8,250.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Remember that God made our bodies, functional and amazing as they are. He also gave us our minds and I believe he wants us to use our minds and learn about our bodies, take care of them, etc.
Yes, we are instructed Biblically to not engage in sexual immorality...but that's the key word, "sexual". Medical care is not sexual by nature. Nor is it immoral.

Upvote 0