Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No Asians make much finer distinctions and the gross distinctions like between Japanese and Koreans both sides look down on the other.

I'd agree. My husband is Asian, and among his family there are lots of prejudices, feelings of having been discriminated against, and much more. I have experienced it from Asians of other nationalities when they find I am married to him, and some will be highly offended if you guess their nationality and get it wrong. (Depending also on their true nationality and what you wrongly thought them to be.)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd agree. My husband is Asian, and among his family there are lots of prejudices, feelings of having been discriminated against, and much more. I have experienced it from Asians of other nationalities when they find I am married to him, and some will be highly offended if you guess their nationality and get it wrong. (Depending also on their true nationality and what you wrongly thought them to be.)

I've spent 13 years in the Far East, and I'd agree.

My daughter has a Japanese friend who is frequently told she looks Chinese...which she regards as a horrible offense that usually brings her to tears (although it's rather true).

Upvote 0

Resilient Mixedbreed

Jan 3, 2014
London
✟15,187.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was talking more about racism specifically before, because race was the point of the thread. I just don't see much racism in the UK. I'm not saying there is none at all (I can think of one racist I've met in my life), but that it doesn't seem to be as big a thing here. Maybe I am wrong.

Perhaps there are out-group problems. The UK does have a bit of a problem with complaining about immigration.

As a mixed race man (Jamaican mum, Irish dad) born and raised in London and Essex who has been to pretty much every major city in England I would like you to know racism is alive and kicking my dear.

If we could communicate telepathically I'd list that as another medium in which I've experienced racism.

I've been called both a P*ki and a N*gger to my face, from speeding cars and online. From as early as school days on the field at lunch to as late as last year in Portsmouth when I stopped a drunk guy beating up his girlfriend and nearly got into a fight over it.

You just happen to be born the wrong colour to experience it here.

Upvote 0

softart

Dec 2, 2013
India
✟15,425.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've spent 13 years in the Far East, and I'd agree.

My daughter has a Japanese friend who is frequently told she looks Chinese...which she regards as a horrible offense that usually brings her to tears (although it's rather true).

I know you're probably telling the truth, but it is so funny to imagine this ..... a person breaking down once you ascribe the wrong nationality to her.:D

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
As a mixed race man (Jamaican mum, Irish dad) born and raised in London and Essex who has been to pretty much every major city in England I would like you to know racism is alive and kicking my dear.

If we could communicate telepathically I'd list that as another medium in which I've experienced racism.

I've been called both a P*ki and a N*gger to my face, from speeding cars and online. From as early as school days on the field at lunch to as late as last year in Portsmouth when I stopped a drunk guy beating up his girlfriend and nearly got into a fight over it.

You just happen to be born the wrong colour to experience it here.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No Asians make much finer distinctions and the gross distinctions like between Japanese and Koreans both sides look down on the other.

Yep. My wife is filipino. The make sure everyone knows the difference and they are quick to point out other asian races in their country. Especially koreans whom they don't seem to like much. As I was told by one filipino "Koreans are not liked, they bring filth to the streets with their complaint filled attitudes, lazy bodies and leaving trash everywhere!".

As for their spanish, despite being ruled by them they don't seem to talk about them really and don't mind if you talk about the subject. Although some of the filipions I met weren't so hostile about other asians. I will tell you though, filipinos are racist amongst their own culture. Dark skinned filipinos are considered from less educated villages, one filipina woman who lives here calls them the "redneck hillbilly's" of america. Where as light skinned filipinos are looked up to. Heck everything they use has whitener in it. Us americans are idols to them.

Along with skin color the discriminate based on what island your on. What dialect of tag you speak...etc. Theres a ton of racism there.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I been wondering the states that didn't allow interracial couples to marriage or recognize their marriage who they sinning? I mean they can't get married in the fact they aren't allowed to

Not sure I understand the question.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I been wondering the states that didn't allow interracial couples to marriage or recognize their marriage who they sinning? I mean they can't get married in the fact they aren't allowed to

Are you asking if a state refuses to allow or recognize interracial marriages? In the US?

I'm sure it's entirely possible some archaic laws are still on the books (locally anyway) but I'd be surprised to see them enforced?

Be that as it may, if it WERE to happen then as a Christian you're left with several Scriptures to consider.

Do you "respect the law of the land" and not marry?
Do you carry on as a couple without benefit of marriage? (Fornication?)

Given that laws can be passed, let's take it a bit further. There has been at least some talk that since the divorce rate is so high, there was a proposal to outlaw marriage altogether and instead allow couples to enter into "contracts" that spelled out details and automatically expired after a certain amount of time.

So what if that kind of law were passed? It would be impossible for anyone to marry.

If I found myself in that position, I have to say that what God says trumps what the government says. However, it's not actually necessary that the state recognize my marriage, but it IS necessary that myself, my spouse, and God recognize it. In that case, I would seek out a pastor to perform the marriage anyway, and consider it as binding in the eyes of myself, my spouse, and God.

Admittedly this would be an extreme situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The state doesn't authorize marriage, anyway. It just recognizes it (or not) as relevant to joint property ownership rights. Any combination of adults can cohabit and engage in any number of consensual acts together (until an injury is involved) without American law stepping in (but that isn't always true when one stands before God.)

Racial differences, however, are not considered an issue in the latter venue.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There were anti-miscegenation laws--laws prohibiting interracial marriage--in effect as late as 1967, when all were finally struck down by the US Supreme Court.

At some point in time, forty-one states have prohibited interracial marriages--all between whites and blacks, but some included other races. Interestingly, Oklahoma permitted marriages between any races as long as neither wasblack.

States with anti-miscegenation laws into the 1960s:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virgina, West Virgina, Wyoming

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow...that's when State's rights went too far and had to be slapped down by the Federal Government.
If you were one of those mixed-race couples, you would have concluded that the State's rights went too far... :doh:

Biblical marriage is a religious institution. This stepped squarely on the "Free Exercise" clause.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you were one of those mixed-race couples, you would have concluded that the State's rights went too far... :doh:

Biblical marriage is a religious institution. This stepped squarely on the "Free Exercise" clause.

Now here is where religion--specifically Christianity (more specifically, Protestant Christianity) messed up. The Church should never have allowed the state to require a county clerk's signature for a religious sacrament.

Marriage should always be a matter of religion, not government. Government can manage and enforce contracts of division of property and other rights between consenting adults, but "Mr and Mrs" should have always been the exclusive domain of religion.

I have no problem with removing government entirely from having anything to do with marriage, and leaving government only in the realm of enforcing contracts between consenting adults.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Saw an interesting documentary about the Jim Crow laws of yesteryear. Another example of State laws having to be struck down.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Marriage should always be a matter of religion, not government. Government can manage and enforce contracts of division of property and other rights between consenting adults, but "Mr and Mrs" should have always been the exclusive domain of religion.
If "Mr & Mrs" is a legal entity, it has to be a matter for government

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Religion has no place in a marriage, unless of course the couple specifically desire a religious ceremony for their marriage.

If "Mr & Mrs" is a legal entity, it has to be a matter for government

The only interest government has in marriage is tax apportionment and the division of property. Marriage implies a contract (but it's a darned sloppy one, with no stipulated provisions for either party, which is why divorces are so messy). Other than money and property, the government has no valid concern about who marries whom.

The only point to a marriage ceremony is the social concept of being identified publicly as Mr & Mrs (or Mr & Mr or Mrs & Mrs or even Mr & Mrs & Mrs). Other than that, a formal contract would handle government's concerns better than the lousy implied contract of "marriage."

Upvote 0