Interesting scientific developments… with huge potential.

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A thread for interesting science with big potential.
Ill start with this.

An area of science which is getting interesting is early stage cancer testing

The massive galleri trial in U.K., although critical papers question the effectiveness to 80%, even then it’s very worthwhile.

The claims for the Hrc epigeneres / tzar labs test are better At 99% on test of 1000 , yet to do full trials

(although as someone with a financial interest in a biotech drugs lab, I helped set up, I take all new claims with a pinch of salt!)

Both are worth looking up.
This area is ** massive ** for saving lives.

What big potential science are others watching?

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anything that could help treat/cure cancer would be wonderful. However, when my mother had it I saw what a big industry cancer care is. (Everything from diagnosis, treatment and support.) Then when I got it, this fact really hit home. The care and treatment of cancer is a huge industry (Over $200 Billion a year just in the US.) So hopefully the science of curing cancer doesn't butt heads with the profits of having cancer.

Reactions: Mountainmike
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Anything that could help treat/cure cancer would be wonderful. However, when my mother had it I saw what a big industry cancer care is. (Everything from diagnosis, treatment and support.) Then when I got it, this fact really hit home. The care and treatment of cancer is a huge industry (Over $200 Billion a year just in the US.) So hopefully the science of curing cancer doesn't butt heads with the profits of having cancer.
What I like about early detection is it hopefully reduces other costs

I am ambivalent about many of the stories of profiteering because I helped set up a biotech drug lab that got quite big, so it’s an area I know something about

Few realise the toxic combination of factors that lead to massive dose prices
1/ the horrendous requirements and cost of phase 3 trials . It costs 200m for a phase 3 trial. Most drugs fail. Most drug companies fail .
2/ the far too short patent time - it takes 7 years to get a license , and Bt the end of that there are only a few years patent protection.
3/ like every other part of medicine - useless doctors milk trials for all they are worth - so they get much of the trial cost but drug conpanies get the blame

1/-3/ is why it costs 500m for a successful drug that has to be recouped in only a few years

It’s also why there are no new antibiotics - they are uneconomic

To me - the real miracle workers of pharma are drug scientists , not overpaid doctors or eureka profs whose “ amazing development “ turns out to be illfounded when a Glp lab tries to reproduce it

Upvote 0

Tjufsen

Feb 25, 2023
Kolbu
✟21,186.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
A thread for interesting science with big potential.
Ill start with this.

An area of science which is getting interesting is early stage cancer testing

The massive galleri trial in U.K., although critical papers question the effectiveness to 80%, even then it’s very worthwhile.

The claims for the Hrc epigeneres / tzar labs test are better At 99% on test of 1000 , yet to do full trials

(although as someone with a financial interest in a biotech drugs lab, I helped set up, I take all new claims with a pinch of salt!)

Both are worth looking up.
This area is ** massive ** for saving lives.

What big potential science are others watching?

If you live natural in nature, as a native, for example, you`d never get cancer, why? Because, there`s not detoriating of the soul which maintains the body, each cell is automatically driven by dna so the soul doesn`t have to do it with every single cell, but if your soul is weakened by an unnatural way of life, let`s say you hold onto society, for example, but they can always fin ways to combat the cancer though, though it`ll never dissapear completly because we don`t live naturally, the dream for people in society is probably to find a cure for every disease, so they can contuine to be immoral, that`s the dream probably, like heaven being immoral, dna is only the body and it`s automatic, it`s made so the soul doesn`t have to maintain them all, I mean every single one, every single cell, you see people age bodily, get bald, get`s cancer, and so fourth, it`s all because they live unnatural, and hold onto things

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Renewable energy + "Electrify Everything" driving down battery prices is a huge technology that is changing the world. Renewables + pumped hydro storage (for a few days, with only a few hours coming from batteries) can save us from climate change.

THEN the NEXT huge technology that can both save nature and feed 10 billion people - is “Precision Fermentation”. Think of it as 'electric food' because it bypasses inefficient old photosynthesis. Think about it. Plants use photosynthesis to split water. They 'eat' the hydrogen combining it with CO2 in the air to grow, and release oxygen that we then breathe. But plants only use 6% of the sunlight, we can only eat a tiny part of the plant, and most of that is carbohydrates and a very little protein. We're eating way less than 1% of that incoming sunlight!

But what if instead of plants, we used solar panels at 20% efficiency at using the sunlight. It powers electrolysis which splits water, so that's about 80% efficient so now we're at 16% of the sunlight. Then instead of growing plants which mainly grow carbohydrates, we give the hydrogen to specially selected hydrogen-eating bacteria. These grow carefully selected proteins and fats. All the bacteria needs is hydrogen and a tiny sprinkling of mineral fertilisers.

NASA came up with it way back in the 1960's to feed deep space astronauts - but then deep space missions were postponed for decades. But now as we approach a world of 10 billion people all needing to be fed, this could just help us feed the world and save nature. Rewild it. Reseed whole ecosystems! Because it's going to bankrupt grazing. No more livestock like beef or goats or lambs or pigs or even chickens. No more over-fishing the oceans - because we can grow omega 3 rich proteins as well. Over the last 300 years we've chopped down 2 billion hectares of forest to raise livestock - enough space for 3 TRILLION trees. Let's regrow that. That many trees would soak up ALL historical CO2 emissions. We could reseed ecosystems and save nature.

And we could feed the world from a tiny area. Our fats and proteins would be immune from floods and drought and even pandemics from 'wet-markets'. It would save nature, giving forest homes to countless animals. And it would solve climate change. Win win win. Please watch George Monbiot explain more here - just 6 minutes. It's the best technology since renewable energy:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mountainmike
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Renewable energy + "Electrify Everything" driving down battery prices is a huge technology that is changing the world. Renewables + pumped hydro storage (for a few days, with only a few hours coming from batteries) can save us from climate change.

THEN the NEXT huge technology that can both save nature and feed 10 billion people - is “Precision Fermentation”. Think of it as 'electric food' because it bypasses inefficient old photosynthesis. Think about it. Plants use photosynthesis to split water. They 'eat' the hydrogen combining it with CO2 in the air to grow, and release oxygen that we then breathe. But plants only use 6% of the sunlight, we can only eat a tiny part of the plant, and most of that is carbohydrates and a very little protein. We're eating way less than 1% of that incoming sunlight!

But what if instead of plants, we used solar panels at 20% efficiency at using the sunlight. It powers electrolysis which splits water, so that's about 80% efficient so now we're at 16% of the sunlight. Then instead of growing plants which mainly grow carbohydrates, we give the hydrogen to specially selected hydrogen-eating bacteria. These grow carefully selected proteins and fats. All the bacteria needs is hydrogen and a tiny sprinkling of mineral fertilisers.

NASA came up with it way back in the 1960's to feed deep space astronauts - but then deep space missions were postponed for decades. But now as we approach a world of 10 billion people all needing to be fed, this could just help us feed the world and save nature. Rewild it. Reseed whole ecosystems! Because it's going to bankrupt grazing. No more livestock like beef or goats or lambs or pigs or even chickens. No more over-fishing the oceans - because we can grow omega 3 rich proteins as well. Over the last 300 years we've chopped down 2 billion hectares of forest to raise livestock - enough space for 3 TRILLION trees. Let's regrow that. That many trees would soak up ALL historical CO2 emissions. We could reseed ecosystems and save nature.

And we could feed the world from a tiny area. Our fats and proteins would be immune from floods and drought and even pandemics from 'wet-markets'. It would save nature, giving forest homes to countless animals. And it would solve climate change. Win win win. Please watch George Monbiot explain more here - just 6 minutes. It's the best technology since renewable energy:
One of the tricks with renewables is to create something that can stockpile.
it’s not a replacement for winter peak usage.

Thats why I think electric cars with standard battery replace at service stations is the way to go. Stops needing a huge grid, and the batteries can be recharged by windmills. Solar farms. Carried to the place of use.

An example of this is fuerteventura in the canaries.
the windmills desalinate water,and there is a stockpile of desalinated water when the wind stops blowing!

Yes - another example is food procEssing

Although ventner scares me with bioengineering organisms to create such as food or alcohol.
he has no concept of what he unleashes. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
he could turn the sea into green slime in an unstoppable sludge of near cancerous replication.
Our waterways are already under threat from non native plants destroying all else.

Such as ventner is the one Jurassic park refers to:
“ they were so obsessed with whether they coukd, they stop to think if they should”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One of the tricks with renewables is to create something that can stockpile.
14 years ago I used to worry that renewables were so expensive, that when winter halved output for months we'd have to have months of storage. Renewables engineers always worried about what to do with that problem as well.

it’s not a replacement for winter peak usage.
But all this time later, renewables cost less than 10% what they were back then. If winter cuts your wind and solar output back to half or a third the output for a month, don't store power for a month. Double or triple your renewables! Lazard calculates the raw LCOE (unfirmed) as about 1/4 the cost of nuclear. By the end of this year solar should be 1/5. Overbuild works. Even Australia’s TERRIBLE La Nina year of 2022 only needs Overbuild of 70% - so a 170% renewable grid. It almost eliminates storage. A near 100 per cent renewables grid is well within reach, and with little storage

Thats why I think electric cars with standard battery replace at service stations is the way to go. Stops needing a huge grid, and the batteries can be recharged by windmills. Solar farms. Carried to the place of use.
Australia has Janus trucks system - where the diesel tanks have been ripped out and the batteries are swapped out on the side or even the front. The fantastic thing about this is the truckie can have their existing truck converted to EV instead of rebuilt on the scheduled and legally required REBUILD (whenever that is.) Then in a year, they start saving money - and saving the climate as a by product! But I totally hear you on preventing stress on the local grid. Rather than fast-charging like Tesla's Semi "Megacharger", these massive batteries recharge over a few hours from the warehouse roof. They reckon the standard warehouse roof fitted with solar can run up to 10 trucks! Janus Electric

the windmills desalinate water,and there is a stockpile of desalinated water when the wind stops blowing!

I like your thinking - but stop worrying about intermittency. Grids are enormous things - and if a massive 2 Gigwawatt coal plant suddenly trips off line, there's enough overbuild already on a grid for that to be backed up (most of the time). Let's apply your thinking to SEASONAL generation.

Have you heard of SUPER-POWER? It’s all about solving the wind and solar power problem of power output dropping off in winter. We used to wonder how we were going to store power for a few months. But now that renewables are so cheap, instead of trying to store power for winter, the engineers plan to build extra renewables. If winter cuts output in half, then double the wind and solar! This simple concept can get the country through winter. Wind and solar are now so cheap, this trick is still cheaper than coal. And that’s without counting the health and climate costs of coal so it’s actually MUCH cheaper!

But now that we’ve solved winter, we have another problem. What are we going to do with all the EXCESS power the other 10 months of the year? We could just turn those farms off to stop them frying the grid - but that seems wasteful. Yet all today’s regular power demands have been met. What are we going to do with truly huge excess super-cheap power? We can put this to any EXTRA task - as as long as we can shut down this service for winter.

There are many extra jobs I can think of. Splitting water to make vast amounts of hydrogen for synthetic fuel for airlines. We can also use hydrogen to replace coking coal to make steel. We can use that power to run desal to fill fresh water reservoirs. Then there’s the miraculous technology of the Gasifier. These things rip municipal waste into molecules - with synthetic gas that shoots off the top to go to the petro-chemical and plastics industry - and lava like slag that can be turned into pavers, bricks, or rock-wool for insulation or fibreglass. The punchline? Gasifiers can turn household rubbish into half the stuff to build the next house! Gasification – waste into fuel and building materials Renewables are now so cheap that solving the ‘problem’ of winter becomes an opportunity to solve many other high-energy challenges we would not have been able to afford. No wonder Tony Seba calls it ‘Super-Power’.

Although ventner scares me with bioengineering organisms to create such as food or alcohol.
he has no concept of what he unleashes. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
he could turn the sea into green slime in an unstoppable sludge of near cancerous replication.
Our waterways are already under threat from non native plants destroying all else.

Sorry who is Venter? They're going to leave the oceans alone.

Such as ventner is the one Jurassic park refers to:
“ they were so obsessed with whether they coukd, they stop to think if they should”
If we can feed the world all the proteins and fats we want from an area the size of Greater London - we should.
Did you watch the Monbiot video?

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
14 years ago I used to worry that renewables were so expensive, that when winter halved output for months we'd have to have months of storage. Renewables engineers always worried about what to do with that problem as well.

But all this time later, renewables cost less than 10% what they were back then. If winter cuts your wind and solar output back to half or a third the output for a month, don't store power for a month. Double or triple your renewables! Lazard calculates the raw LCOE (unfirmed) as about 1/4 the cost of nuclear. By the end of this year solar should be 1/5. Overbuild works. Even Australia’s TERRIBLE La Nina year of 2022 only needs Overbuild of 70% - so a 170% renewable grid. It almost eliminates storage. A near 100 per cent renewables grid is well within reach, and with little storage

Australia has Janus trucks system - where the diesel tanks have been ripped out and the batteries are swapped out on the side or even the front. The fantastic thing about this is the truckie can have their existing truck converted to EV instead of rebuilt on the scheduled and legally required REBUILD (whenever that is.) Then in a year, they start saving money - and saving the climate as a by product! But I totally hear you on preventing stress on the local grid. Rather than fast-charging like Tesla's Semi "Megacharger", these massive batteries recharge over a few hours from the warehouse roof. They reckon the standard warehouse roof fitted with solar can run up to 10 trucks! Janus Electric

I like your thinking - but stop worrying about intermittency. Grids are enormous things - and if a massive 2 Gigwawatt coal plant suddenly trips off line, there's enough overbuild already on a grid for that to be backed up (most of the time). Let's apply your thinking to SEASONAL generation.

Have you heard of SUPER-POWER? It’s all about solving the wind and solar power problem of power output dropping off in winter. We used to wonder how we were going to store power for a few months. But now that renewables are so cheap, instead of trying to store power for winter, the engineers plan to build extra renewables. If winter cuts output in half, then double the wind and solar! This simple concept can get the country through winter. Wind and solar are now so cheap, this trick is still cheaper than coal. And that’s without counting the health and climate costs of coal so it’s actually MUCH cheaper!

But now that we’ve solved winter, we have another problem. What are we going to do with all the EXCESS power the other 10 months of the year? We could just turn those farms off to stop them frying the grid - but that seems wasteful. Yet all today’s regular power demands have been met. What are we going to do with truly huge excess super-cheap power? We can put this to any EXTRA task - as as long as we can shut down this service for winter.

There are many extra jobs I can think of. Splitting water to make vast amounts of hydrogen for synthetic fuel for airlines. We can also use hydrogen to replace coking coal to make steel. We can use that power to run desal to fill fresh water reservoirs. Then there’s the miraculous technology of the Gasifier. These things rip municipal waste into molecules - with synthetic gas that shoots off the top to go to the petro-chemical and plastics industry - and lava like slag that can be turned into pavers, bricks, or rock-wool for insulation or fibreglass. The punchline? Gasifiers can turn household rubbish into half the stuff to build the next house! Gasification – waste into fuel and building materials Renewables are now so cheap that solving the ‘problem’ of winter becomes an opportunity to solve many other high-energy challenges we would not have been able to afford. No wonder Tony Seba calls it ‘Super-Power’.

Sorry who is Venter? They're going to leave the oceans alone.

If we can feed the world all the proteins and fats we want from an area the size of Greater London - we should.
Did you watch the Monbiot video?
I don’t know how avid a reader you are,
But a book worth read8bg is “ star builders” by turrei
Its an easy read book on fusion Technology but it also puts context to the energy problem.

Not just volumes of energy ,and reliability availability, but also less obvious aspects like the CO2 in solar mfr, but also the vast areas neeDed for energy of different technology.
The areas for some renewables are vast.
Upscaling the grid is not a good thing . Copper losses generate heat.

Upvote 0

carloagal

Apr 4, 2023
Europe, Rome
✟27,893.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally think that one of the answer of the origin of life come from Eucharistic Miracles of Lanciano, Buenos Aires, Tixtla in Messico 2006, Sokolka and Legnica in Polonia in 2008 and 2013 where a consacrated host turn in living human heart tissue with withe blood cells. Human heart tissue is a complex organism that arise in the existence without any form of evolution and ancestry. According to Darwin himself his theory is broke down. But I m wondering if host transformation is an act of creation or spontaneous generation from non living matter?

Upvote 0

carloagal

Apr 4, 2023
Europe, Rome
✟27,893.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t know how avid a reader you are,
But a book worth read8bg is “ star builders” by turrei
Its an easy read book on fusion Technology but it also puts context to the energy problem.

Not just volumes of energy ,and reliability availability, but also less obvious aspects like the CO2 in solar mfr, but also the vast areas neeDed for energy of different technology.
But Eucharistic Miracles is evidence of creation of human heart tissue from no living matter or spontaneous generation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But Eucharistic Miracles is evidence of creation of human heart tissue from no living matter or spontaneous generation?
As you may know , I am both well informed, I am impressed With the science, and I believe them.
I am not sure why you quoted that post in raising them.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Human heart tissue is a complex organism that arise in the existence without any form of evolution and ancestry. According to Darwin himself his theory is broke down.
Absolute garbage.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I love the idea of fusion - and they have made some major gains recently - but it's still not on the board as an option.

This sounds like you've inherited political blinkers from somewhere without actually investigating the facts. If we cover HALF the world’s rooftops with solar, it would provide all today’s electricity needs. Solar panels on half the world's roofs could meet its entire electricity demand – new research Cover ALL the world’s rooftops and you’ve got enough to electrify transport and industry. Singapore's Dr. Thomas Reindl points out that floating solar panels on just a tenth of human made fresh-water reservoirs is ALL today's electricity use. The solar panels reduce evaporation of our precious fresh water, and the water keeps the solar cool and efficient. If we cover ALL our water reservoirs it is 10 TIMES today's electricity!
So ALL our rooftops and ALL our water reserves would be 12 TIMES today’s electricity use. (And I haven’t even mentioned on shore wind in farm zones and off-shore wind yet.) Even Japan with their huge population and tiny islands can power themselves 14 times over. Indonesia can float enough solar in their calm oceans to power THE WORLD. This myth that solar and wind will take up too much land just needs to die - and stinks of fear from big oil.
It's a GREAT thing because HVDC cables only lose 3% power per 1000 km and are largely made from aluminium.
But have you considered how many amazing efficiency gains we'll get from going renewables? How many trucks will be charged just from a warehouse roof? Have you heard of EROEI? It's Energy Return Over Energy Invested. It basically measures your energy profit, not your financial profit. Oil used to return something like 100 times the energy it took to mine the oil. That number has been going down lately because we've used up most of the easy oil.

“Electrify Everything” makes everything more efficient, and lower Energy Return power sources get more bang for their buck!

While oil was this incredibly dense energy source with a very high EROEI - the Internal Combustion Engine is terribly inefficient. Diesel wastes 50% of the energy as it burns, and petroleum is worse and throws out 80% of the energy in a gasoline car. It’s all thrown away as heat and only 20% of the gasoline turns into what we want - forward motion! How Efficient are Engines: Thermodynamics and Combustion Efficiency

Electric cars only throw away 23% - and convert the 77% other energy into forward motion. Are electric cars more efficient than combustion or hybrid cars? So how does that work out with EROEI? It appears oil HAD to have a higher EROEI (as measured by BTU’s) because burning it in an Internal Combustion Engine is SO wasteful! Instead of asking how much thermal energy there is in a barrel of oil when counting the EROEI, maybe we should emphasise what we really want - how far that oil takes you? Instead of measuring solar’s EROEI as “only” 15 to 20 times the energy it took to make the solar panel - what are those solar panels DOING with that EROEI? What work are they achieving by going into electric motors that USE 77% rather than WASTE it?

In other words - to measure like with like - should we be dividing oil’s EROEI by how much more wasteful the ICE is? An ICE wastes 3.4 times more energy than the EV. Should we divide oil's EROEI by that much? Is the whole notion of oil’s super-high EROEI questionable now that we’ve seen how pathetically inefficient the ICE is? Is the whole notion of solar’s ‘pathetic’ EROEI also invalid?

Then there’s the energy SYSTEM to consider. The worldwide oil market burns a lot of oil mining it in foreign lands, shipping it around the world and then driving it up and down highways. Solar panels just have to be installed once every 30 years! Then with an EV you've got an oil refinery on your roof!

Shipping and highways: When we’ve Electrified Everything, 40% of global shipping (of oil gas and coal) will just stop. There are a variety of options to replace shipping bunker oil with clean fuels - but one of them is to use a small ThorCon nuclear reactor in each ship. (ThorCon is a Molten Salt Reactor that cannot melt down.) IF we install them in the remaining ships, they go 30% faster. This means each ship is now carrying 30% more cargo in the same time, which reduces 60% shipping by a roughly a third - which is another 20% which (depending on loading and unloading) means we're down to half or even 40% of the original boats. And it also means less trains and trucks carrying fossil fuels around the place.

Local power efficiencies: When we've "Electrified Everything" especially transport, so many more options become viable. Australia has some of the biggest trucks in the world. Janus Australia have a battery-swap system that can get these huge trucks 400 to 500 km, then they just swap the batteries. A guy on a forklift does it. The batteries don't have to fast charge - which is less stress on the local grid and less stress on the batteries. They estimate they can run 10 trucks just from the warehouse roof! In a country town between the big cities, a Janus battery swap might even consider buying a local paddock to add to their battery charging. With enough solar charging enough cheap batteries during they day, they can stock up fresh batteries for the night. It's just THAT cheap! Janus Electric

SUMMARY: Electrifying everything will not only solve climate change, increase national energy independence and security, decrease long expensive supply lines, decrease pollution and lung disease in the population, and get us into an energy system that could last millions of years (or till the Lord returns) - but it is also just more efficient and will ultimately be cheaper and more convenient. You'll see. It's coming, fast!

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums