Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi all, and sorry if this has been posted previously. I didn't notice any similar threads, but may have missed them. Could anyone recommend some good readings to introduce me to Eastern Orthodoxy?

I have Kallisto Ware's The Orthodox Way, and The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to Eastern Orthodoxy on order, along with Adrian Fortescue's The Orthodox Church, and Frederica Mathewes-Green's welcome to the Orthodox Church: An Introduction to Eastern Christianity. I am currently reading her book The Jesus Prayer: The Ancient Desert Prayer that Tunes the Heart to God. I have started reading an English translation of Philokalia, and have previously read The Way of a Pilgrim.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all, and sorry if this has been posted previously. I didn't notice any similar threads, but may have missed them. Could anyone recommend some good readings to introduce me to Eastern Orthodoxy?

I have Kallisto Ware's The Orthodox Way, and The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to Eastern Orthodoxy on order, along with Adrian Fortescue's The Orthodox Church, and Frederica Mathewes-Green's welcome to the Orthodox Church: An Introduction to Eastern Christianity. I am currently reading her book The Jesus Prayer: The Ancient Desert Prayer that Tunes the Heart to God. I have started reading an English translation of Philokalia, and have previously read The Way of a Pilgrim.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

The primary book I have on Eastern Orthodoxy is a book of collected essays from various Orthodox scholars titled, Eastern Orthodox Theology: A Contemporary Reader - edited by Daniel B. Clendenin. However, I don't know that it will provide any more information than you will already have from the books you've listed above. I imagine that Orthodox scholars are fairly consistent among themselves in what they teach, unlike what is found among the variety of Protestants, so you could probably read one or two scholars, such as Kallisto Ware, and basically have what you need to know about the Orthodox Tradition of Christian Faith.

[By the way, I'm not specifically Orthodox, but I just thought I'd offer some info since I saw that you asked.]

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The primary book I have on Eastern Orthodoxy is a book of collected essays from various Orthodox scholars titled, Eastern Orthodox Theology: A Contemporary Reader - edited by Daniel B. Clendenin. However, I don't know that it will provide any more information than you will already have from the books you've listed above. I imagine that Orthodox scholars are fairly consistent among themselves in what they teach, unlike what is found among the variety of Protestants, so you could probably read one or two scholars, such as Kallisto Ware, and basically have what you need to know about the Orthodox Tradition of Christian Faith.

[By the way, I'm not specifically Orthodox, but I just thought I'd offer some info since I saw that you asked.]

Peace,
2PhiloVoid
Thank you for the reply and suggestion.

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you for the reply and suggestion.
I have about three books on Byzantine history and all of them go into decent detail with the Eastern Church. So you could probably go to your local library and find some good history books that cover the church in detail.

• Useful
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would add Suprised By Christ by Fr James Bernstein, God's Revelation to the Human Heart by Fr Seraphim Rose, and For the Life of the World by Fr Alexander Schmemann.

but the best thing to do is go to a Divine Liturgy and talk to the priest when finished.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would add Suprised By Christ by Fr James Bernstein, God's Revelation to the Human Heart by Fr Seraphim Rose, and For the Life of the World by Fr Alexander Schmemann.

but the best thing to do is go to a Divine Liturgy and talk to the priest when finished.
Thank you for both suggestions. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
..remember books are great, but Orthodoxy is meant to be lived.
This is very true. Where many other traditions are something you know, believe and trust - Orthodoxy seems to be more a way of life. The teachings themselves come to life and are easier to understand when put into practice.

A book that I have recommended since reading it is 'Know the Faith' by Rev Michael Shanbour. It describes several fundamental Orthodox tenets and does some light contrasting with the Catholic/Protestant view of the same.

EDIT TO ADD:
When i double-checked the link, I noticed this quote about the book - which I think is very fitting.
"..it's greatest value comes from the extensive collections of quotations from the Scriptures and the Fathers supporting Orthodox faith and practice. This is the toolkit any Orthodox could use to respond to the questions and critiques of other Christians."

–Frederica Mathewes Green

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is very true. Where many other traditions are something you know, believe and trust - Orthodoxy seems to be more a way of life. The teachings themselves come to life and are easier to understand when put into practice.

A book that I have recommended since reading it is 'Know the Faith' by Rev Michael Shanbour. It describes several fundamental Orthodox tenets and does some light contrasting with the Catholic/Protestant view of the same.

EDIT TO ADD:
When i double-checked the link, I noticed this quote about the book - which I think is very fitting.
"..it's greatest value comes from the extensive collections of quotations from the Scriptures and the Fathers supporting Orthodox faith and practice. This is the toolkit any Orthodox could use to respond to the questions and critiques of other Christians."

–Frederica Mathewes Green

Thank you. I will add that to my reading list.

and I should point out that I am not saying not to read. engage the noggin, just don't forget the rest of you.

No, I understood that. Understanding (or at least attempting to) is important, but I recognize the importance of being and living the faith.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Recently canonized St Cleopa of Sihastria (Romanian) wrote one called "The Truth of Our Faith". I haven't read it myself, just browsed through, but I haven't heard anything negative and it reads like a catechism.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Recently canonized St Cleopa of Sihastria (Romanian) wrote one called "The Truth of Our Faith". I haven't read it myself, just browsed through, but I haven't heard anything negative and it reads like a catechism.
I have it. It's good.
The format is Elder Cleopa answering, in what reads like round-table discussion with interested searchers. (he's referred to as Elder in the book).
I enjoyed it.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

when was he glorified, (because he is awesome)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have it. It's good.
The format is Elder Cleopa answering, in what reads like round-table discussion with interested searchers. (he's referred to as Elder in the book).
I enjoyed it.
Thank you both for the recommendation. I'll add it to my (now quite extensive) list.

Upvote 0