Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't have an issue with praying for others when they ask me. In fact, I feel it is cruel to not to. When someone asks me to pray for them, I make a concerted effort to pray for them in my own time, and not just to say or to agree to pray for them when they ask me to but not actually doing it.

I have never had a problem asking others to pray for me, either, though I suspect I am more reluctant to share prayer requests than many others, maybe because I believe they won't actually pray for me or because of my pride.

I also understand the logic that if these people are already praying for me, it's good to petition them, since they are in fact closer to the throne room of God. I actually get that. I believe it's ok to simply petition the Father through the name of Jesus, but I get the logical discrepancy with that because if I really believe that God is enough, I don't need to ask for anyone else's prayers, especially those on earth who are not yet glorified and in the presence of the Lord like the departed martyrs and saints.

In fact, the book of revelation indicates that the saints and martyrs do pray to God, even in heaven, regarding people on earth, and God answers their prayers.

I would have an issue with writing that says something like, "we praise you" or "save us" to a saint, like in an akathist, where I saw some borderline idolatrous sort of phrases in there, but I admit I need to look a little more closely before accusing anyone of blasphemy.

This is where I am reading the akathists. The ones at the bottom addressed to God the Father seem the most appropriate. It's just something I'm trying to work out and I really appreciate you helping me.
When I came from Protestantism I had to deal with these phrases. It helped me to understand the ancient nature of the Orthodox vernacular. Protestantism has really changed the meaning of many of these terms. "Praise" is not the same as "Worship." We praise everyday individuals. I praise my students for a job well done. I also have praised strangers when I observed their generosity or kindness. We feel odd in utilizing the word with the Saints because our Protestant influences have changed the meaning.
The same could be said about the word "save." Evangelicalism has created the idea of "getting saved" as an event that bestows salvation. This is a false teaching. The understanding of the Fathers and the earliest Christians had no such terminology. To be "saved" is more of a process that includes much more than a prayer and a reaction from God. In Orthodoxy the word "save" retains its actual meaning and can be applied in many circumstances. We can be saved from our sins and we can also be saved from various situations. When we ask the Saints to "save us" it is not meant that we want them to act as a mediator in our salvation. We want them to intercede for us through their prayers. We want them to be specific in their petitions to God in whatever need we find ourselves. This understanding, unfortunately, has to happen as we unlearn some of our Protestant influences and gain an understanding of the language of the ancient Church.

Upvote 0

Prodigal7

Feb 10, 2007
California
✟11,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You don't even have to go back to Shakespeare. In my state at least, it's still used that way in law today. The last paragraph of a legal pleading will be titled PRAYER; where you summarize what you're asking the court to do.

As a former Protestant I agree. Orthodoxy Christianity is rich, and deep, and wide. It's like an ocean and after all these years I feel as if I've only just stuck my big toe in. :) It's wonderful.

I second that sentiment. Leaving my old church was hard. I never want to switch churches again. Coming back to Orthodoxy has been amazing though. I realize it was the faith of my grandparents that got me baptized, not anything good I did.

Adding sacred tradition, the Prayer Book, and the Saints has opened up my faith and made it more alive to me. In my twenty years on the Protestant side I ignored Mary but now praying to the Theotokos is something I try to do everyday. I feel she helped me leave my old church gracefully. Being the guitar player in the praise band, it was hard to leave without being noticed. I also had a respectful conversation with my old pastor. I feel she helped me navigate that. I was dreading leaving the old church but I got through it. I feel Orthodoxy is correct so it was something I had to do. Attending just as a guest wasn’t really an option.

i have a long way to go but I am enjoying the journey and am grateful.

Upvote 0