The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Well extol just means to praise enthusiastically. I praise things enthusiastically such as works of art, people, even my ergonomic pillows, but I do not worship or even venerate these things.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
worshipping involves a sacrificial offering. extolling doesn’t necessarily involve a sacrificial offering. extolling is almost done in conjunction with the offering, but what makes something worship is the sacrifice.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can you make your case for that?
sure, read the Bible. what did the priests do in the Temple and the Tabernacle? read guys like St Ignatius of Antioch or St Justin Martyr or the Didache who go into 1st and 2nd century worship to see what the earliest Christians said.

if you check out the first hand sources, it’s hard to make a case against it.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
sure, read the Bible. what did the priests do in the Temple and the Tabernacle? read guys like St Ignatius of Antioch or St Justin Martyr or the Didache who go into 1st and 2nd century worship to see what the earliest Christians said.

if you check out the first hand sources, it’s hard to make a case against it.

I was asking for a Biblical case, but whatever.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The other thing is aside from Sacrifice, the Orthodox reserve Adoration for God alone, because to Adore anything other than God, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, such as the false gods of the Muslims or the Mormons, is to engage in idolatry.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I started with a Biblical case. God is specific to what priests do in the Temple and Tabernacle.

I don't have a problem with thinking worship is done with a sacrifice. I have a problem thinking that is the only way we worship God. That's what needs a Biblical case.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The other thing is aside from Sacrifice, the Orthodox reserve Adoration for God alone, because to Adore anything other than God, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, such as the false gods of the Muslims or the Mormons, is to engage in idolatry.

But adoring God is not worship to you.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a problem with thinking worship is done with a sacrifice. I have a problem thinking that is the only way we worship God. That's what needs a Biblical case.
well, God never made the Temple optional, and that was the design God gave Moses. nowhere is there worship apart from the sacrifice of the community.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
nowhere is there worship apart from the sacrifice of the community.

So if there is a Christian living in Afghanistan, for example, who is going solo, they have no way to worship God?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So if there is a Christian living in Afghanistan, for example, who is going solo, they have no way to worship God?
not according to how God tells us to worship Him. of course, God takes into account our situation and what we can or cannot do.

however, that doesn’t change the fact that Biblical worship is centralized on sacrificial offering.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
however, that doesn’t change the fact that Biblical worship is centralized on sacrificial offering.

Right. That's what I need a verse for that says something to this effect. Like, if you can say it than it should be easy enough for a Biblical author to say it. I don't believe any Biblical author actually said, "Worship can only be done through a sacrifice." In fact, I think we have Biblical evidence to the contrary such as when John the Evangelist worships an angel and the angel tells him not to worship them.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Right. That's what I need a verse for that says something to this effect. Like, if you can say it than it should be easy enough for a Biblical author to say it. I don't believe any Biblical author actually said, "Worship can only be done through a sacrifice." In fact, I think we have Biblical evidence to the contrary such as when John the Evangelist worships an angel and the angel tells him not to worship them.
well, I don’t know of any specific verse, aside to say when God tells Moses how He wants His people to worship Him, it involves sacrificial offering.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
well, I don’t know of any specific verse, aside to say when God tells Moses how He wants His people to worship Him, it involves sacrificial offering.

That's fine. I'm just saying worship is not limited to that. Otherwise, the angel would not have said not to worship them, which is an affirmation that it was actually worshiping.

"Then I fell at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers and sisters who hold firmly to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God, because the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”" (Revelation 19:10)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's fine. I'm just saying worship is not limited to that. Otherwise, the angel would not have said not to worship them, which is an affirmation that it was actually worshiping.

"Then I fell at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers and sisters who hold firmly to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God, because the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”" (Revelation 19:10)
are you sure there’s no nuance to that considering it was written in Greek and not English?

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
are you sure there’s no nuance to that considering it was written in Greek and not English?

What difference would that make? Unless you want to say all the English versions are wrong, which would also make most of the lexicons wrong as well? It still doesn't answer why the angel said, "Don't do that, you must only [insert word] God."

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The word that has been translated as "worship" is "προσκυνησαι", which has a fairly broad range of meaning as opposed to "λατρεία", which is specific to God.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The word that has been translated as "worship" is "προσκυνησαι", which has a fairly broad range of meaning as opposed to "λατρεία", which is specific to God.

Again, that does not explain why the angel said, "Don't do that for me. Do that for God." So even if you want to say the meaning of the word is broad, here it clearly seems to mean worship. It's like saying the word for virgin in the NT for Mary is wrong since where it is quoted from in the OT is a broad meaning.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We understand that the angels present the prayers of the saints. It is from the book of Tobit 12:12-22 which is either discarded or deemphasized in most ( not all) Protestant traditions.

An early bishop of the Church, St. Polycarp, is said to be referring to Tobit 12:9 in an early 2nd century letter he wrote to the Philippians a few decades after St. Paul:

one. When you can do good, defer it not, because alms delivers from death.Tobit 4:10, Tobit 12:9

Info on the letter of St. Polycarp:

Upvote 0