Interested in learning Byzantine Iconography? Sample of my 2nd Patreon Iconography tutorial...

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For anyone interested in learning Byzantine iconography, I've uploaded a sample from my second tutorial on drawing the face in dynamic frontal pose on curved axes so you can see how I do the tutorials. The full tutorial will be posted on Patreon at the end of the month.
These videos require a lot of time, effort and equipment to make and like all artists I still need to pay my rent and bills. That is where Patreon comes in. It is a platform for supporting artists and creatives who's work you love. I'm using it to support making these tutorials because there are a many people who would like to learn iconography who don't have access to or can't afford to to attend workshops. This way, for as little as $5 per month, they have access to video tutorials that they can watch as many times as they need to. I also post a daily sketch in my Saint of the Day project that can be used for practice as well as timelapse videos of my sketches. The videos will start from drawing and progress to painting in traditional tetrachrome. If you know of anyone who may be interested please pass this on: Julia Hayes is creating Iconography Tutorials | Patreon

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much! I would love to do that myself as well as some others I know...for me it will have to be a bit later though due to my crazy schedule. Once I get some free time though, I’d love to take your tutorial classes. I can do the line sketches (self-taught - I’ve drawn them for kids coloring at church) but it’d be great to have some more direction, especially once it’s past the sketching.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

ikonographics

Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks so much! I would love to do that myself as well as some others I know...for me it will have to be a bit later though due to my crazy schedule. Once I get some free time though, I’d love to take your tutorial classes. I can do the line sketches (self-taught - I’ve drawn them for kids coloring at church) but it’d be great to have some more direction, especially once it’s past the sketching.

As someone who was initially self -taught I can't emphasize enough how important it is to actually learn to draw icons properly. Even though most people weren't aware of my mistakes, it was only when I actually learned to draw icons properly that I became aware of them.

Signing up doesn't mean you have to do the tutorials here and now but gives you access to the videos so that you can watch them when and as many times as you need to. I'm making one tutorial video a month and then there are the daily sketches and time-lapse drawing videos. The pledges through Patreon and to help cover the cost of time and equipment etc to make them.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As someone who was initially self -taught I can't emphasize enough how important it is to actually learn to draw icons properly. Even though most people weren't aware of my mistakes, it was only when I actually learned to draw icons properly that I became aware of them.

Signing up doesn't mean you have to do the tutorials here and now but gives you access to the videos so that you can watch them when and as many times as you need to. I'm making one tutorial video a month and then there are the daily sketches and time-lapse drawing videos. The pledges through Patreon and to help cover the cost of time and equipment etc to make them.
I agree. I am not trained well enough to actually draw them properly. I have read books about the design and background of iconography (and books about tempera painting) - and the symbolism behind every aspect of it is very interesting to me. :) It did make me realize though that I was much too far away in knowledge to actually draw an icon. Line drawings for kids is one thing :) Iconography...completely different! I’ll check out the pledges!

ETA: It is particularly a challenge for me to fully grasp the nuances of the Byzantine style vs drawing a realistic portrait. I appreciate seeing how you display the process needed to draw in the Byzantine style. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No way!!! You’ve been in Greece too long, gifl!! I’ve known a few folks from
South Africa. Your tongue has been altered! LOL

It's a South African accent! Lol!

Upvote 0

ikonographics

Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No way!!! You’ve been in Greece too long, gifl!! I’ve known a few folks from
South Africa. Your tongue has been altered! LOL
I definitely speak English with a Greek rhythm and intonation lol! In fact it's really weird for me to speak English. I always joke that if I visit South Africa I'll have to speak with a Greek accent to cover up my lousy English!

Upvote 0

ikonographics

Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree. I am not trained well enough to actually draw them properly. I have read books about the design and background of iconography (and books about tempera painting) - and the symbolism behind every aspect of it is very interesting to me. :) It did make me realize though that I was much too far away in knowledge to actually draw an icon. Line drawings for kids is one thing :) Iconography...completely different! I’ll check out the pledges!

ETA: It is particularly a challenge for me to fully grasp the nuances of the Byzantine style vs drawing a realistic portrait. I appreciate seeing how you display the process needed to draw in the Byzantine style. :)

You can check out my YouTube channel for some WIP tutorials that I've done:
:) These older videos only have subtitles, the Patreon ones have full voice-over.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0