Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Icons are more than mere decorations, and shouldn't really be treated as a painting or a picture to hang on a wall. Icons are a visual proclamation that the God who created the world became a man for our salvation, that he suffered and died for us, that he rose from the dead, and ascended into heaven taking our human nature with Him. Furthermore they testify to the fact that Christians can be transformed back to the image and likeness of God, and that indeed God dwells within Christians and shines forth in those who live according to His will. They proclaim the same message that the Gospels do. Hanging an icon in your home or your church makes a profound statement. While icons can be decorative, they are not decorations. A Bible can be beautifully printed, bound with the finest materials, and filled with beautiful word, but it would be a mistake to see it as a work of art rather than as a means of encountering God.

With that being said, I don't see a problem with giving icons to non-Orthodox people. It may draw them to Orthodoxy after all, but I would make sure that the person understands that it is not just a picture to you and that it should be treated with a certain degree of respect. Just as we would not toss the Bible on the floor or use it as a coaster on the table, an icon should be used as a reminder of what it represents. If your friend will not do that, I think it would be better to get them some other piece of art.

Hello all. I read this post from the sticky question section and I'd like to hear what you all have to say in response to my critique.

After reading this, I was reminded of David wanting to build a temple for God. The exchange is pretty interesting. David goes to God and says he wants to build a magnificent house for him. You can practically hear God's incredulity when he responds, "All the world is my footstool, but you want to build a house for me?"

David's fervour for God was evident, yet even way back then God was concerned about this fervour being expressed through some physical manifestation of humanity's own hands. And sure enough, they invariably made it about themselves. Jesus called this out when he criticized them for believing their offerings were more important than the altar and that the gold was more important than the sanctity of God inhabiting the temple.

Actually, Jesus said a lot about the physical vs the spiritual and usually in the context of the physical being a distraction from the spiritual, like the Pharisees criticizing the apostles for not washing their hands before eating. They got satisfaction from exploiting this physical, outward display of holiness precisely because it was observable to everyone.

He cautioned his followers to be wary of leaders who wear fancy clothing. The reason is because these people have a skewed sense of what is important; their desire to appear fashionable, wealthy, respectable, or cool, etc is evidence of this skewed perception of importance. A practical result of this is that their judgment will be skewed.

After returning from being sent out two by two, the apostles excitedly boasted to Jesus that even the demons were subject to them. Jesus follows up with a curious little admonition saying, "Do not rejoice that you have power over the devils, but rather that your name is written in the book of life."

They'd had a taste of the power and it had already started going to their head. Subtle, yet still, Jesus felt it worth nipping in the bud anyway.

At every turn, Jesus wanted us to understand that we need to stop making it about ourselves. He literally commands us to say, "I have only done what is my duty to do."

Now, look again at those sentences about iconography from the post I quoted. In particular, this one, "I would make sure that the person understands that it is not just a picture to you and that it should be treated with a certain degree of respect."

I mean, this person is essentially saying, "The thing I made isn't just a thing I made; it's a holy conduit to God and should be treated with the respect it deserves."

This sentence is also concerning:
"If your friend will not do that, I think it would be better to get them some other piece of art. "

Interpretation : "This thing I made is so important that you can't have one unless you're prepared to think it is as important as I do." I just don't think iconography is leading this person to a holy attitude about his relationship to God.

The insistence on treating these physical objects as though they have some kind of supernatural power is concerning in comparison to everything Jesus said about moving away from reliance on physical objects as signs of spirituality. I mean, exploitation of religious relics has made Christianity into a parody of itself where bread turns into the literal flesh DNA of Jesus inside the stomach (but turns back into bread if it is observed via any measuring instruments or is vomited back up) and where making a crucifix shape with your fingers scares the devil.

I think art is a great way to teach people about Jesus, but I understand comics are just a medium through which a message is communicated, the same as the pages of the bible.

The ink on paper isn't what's important. Even the words themselves aren't important. The message behind them is what matters. It would be the same thing with singing; if I had a great voice, it'd be right of me to use it to glorify Jesus, but I'm not gonna suggest that if people don't like my singing it's akin to sinning against God.

In conclusion, I'd say that iconography is just one more attempt at man making it about himself, i.e. "It deserves more respect than you're giving it!"

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello all. I read this post from the sticky question section and I'd like to hear what you all have to say in response to my critique.

After reading this, I was reminded of David wanting to build a temple for God. The exchange is pretty interesting. David goes to God and says he wants to build a magnificent house for him. You can practically hear God's incredulity when he responds, "All the world is my footstool, but you want to build a house for me?"

David's fervour for God was evident, yet even way back then God was concerned about this fervour being expressed through some physical manifestation of humanity's own hands. And sure enough, they invariably made it about themselves. Jesus called this out when he criticized them for believing their offerings were more important than the altar and that the gold was more important than the sanctity of God inhabiting the temple.

Actually, Jesus said a lot about the physical vs the spiritual and usually in the context of the physical being a distraction from the spiritual, like the Pharisees criticizing the apostles for not washing their hands before eating. They got satisfaction from exploiting this physical, outward display of holiness precisely because it was observable to everyone.

He cautioned his followers to be wary of leaders who wear fancy clothing. The reason is because these people have a skewed sense of what is important; their desire to appear fashionable, wealthy, respectable, or cool, etc is evidence of this skewed perception of importance. A practical result of this is that their judgment will be skewed.

After returning from being sent out two by two, the apostles excitedly boasted to Jesus that even the demons were subject to them. Jesus follows up with a curious little admonition saying, "Do not rejoice that you have power over the devils, but rather that your name is written in the book of life."

They'd had a taste of the power and it had already started going to their head. Subtle, yet still, Jesus felt it worth nipping in the bud anyway.

At every turn, Jesus wanted us to understand that we need to stop making it about ourselves. He literally commands us to say, "I have only done what is my duty to do."

Now, look again at those sentences about iconography from the post I quoted. In particular, this one, "I would make sure that the person understands that it is not just a picture to you and that it should be treated with a certain degree of respect."

I mean, this person is essentially saying, "The thing I made isn't just a thing I made; it's a holy conduit to God and should be treated with the respect it deserves."

"If your friend will not do that, I think it would be better to get them some other piece of art. "

Interpretation : "This thing I made is so important that you can't have one unless you're prepared to think it is as important as I do." I just don't think iconography is leading this person to a holy attitude about his relationship to God.

The insistence on treating these physical objects as though they have some kind of supernatural power is concerning in comparison to everything Jesus said about moving away from reliance on physical objects as signs of spirituality. I mean, exploitation of religious relics has made Christianity into a parody of itself where bread turns into the literal flesh DNA of Jesus inside the stomach (but turns back into bread if it is observed via any measuring instruments or is vomited back up) and where making a crucifix shape with your fingers scares the devil.

I think art is a great way to teach people about Jesus, but I understand comics are just a medium through which a message is communicated, the same as the pages of the bible.

The ink on paper isn't what's important. Even the words themselves aren't important. The message behind them is what matters. It would be the same thing with singing; if I had a great voice, it'd be right of me to use it to glorify Jesus, but I'm not gonna suggest that if people don't like my singing it's akin to sinning against God.

In conclusion, I'd say that iconography is just one more attempt at man making it about himself, i.e. "It deserves more respect than you're giving it!"

I recommend you read the canons of the Second Council of Nicaea. The matter was resolved a long time ago.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I also suggest you reread the OT, especially how God commands the Temple and the Tabernacle to be created. also, the Temple was where Christ went, and never once did He have an issue with the holy imagery inside.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

And yet, they had already built a house for the Lord in the tabernacle (which had images in it of course) and the Lord's glory came and dwelt in that tabernacle as a foreshadowing of the Incarnation: "the Word was made flesh, and dwelt (tabernacled) among us. And the Lord still directs and inspires the making of the Temple, again as an image (icon) of His coming in the flesh.
David's fervour for God was evident, yet even way back then God was concerned about this fervour being expressed through some physical manifestation of humanity's own hands. And sure enough, they invariably made it about themselves.

You are right that this is man's natural inclination in the fallen world. The Jewish people were extremely prone to idolatry, but they were still being brought out of idolatry. But there is a key distinction between them and Christians. The Jewish people were given nothing but shadows of God. Even Moses did not behold God face to face, but was hidden in a rock when the glory of the Lord passed by. But now, we have seen the True God made man. Idolatry was such a danger because in the absence of being able to depict the truth, they would depict a lie. Now we depict God made man and it is the very truth itself.
Jesus called this out when he criticized them for believing their offerings were more important than the altar and that the gold was more important than the sanctity of God inhabiting the temple.

the altar being a physical thing....

Here is the real problem. Jesus does not eschew the physical at all. We must first understand that God created the universe good (man being very good). The fall does not make what was good into something evil. How could God become man if these things were evil? And so God uses the physical world for our salvation. He made clay from the ground and anointed the eyes of the man born blind, the hem of his garment brought about the healing of the woman with the issue of blood. In the Old Testament we read about the bones of Elisha raising a man from the dead. In Acts we hear about miracles attributed to shadows and handkerchiefs. Can Christians still be Pharisaical, of course. But we should not avoid all things physical. Beauty and image are important for us, but it is important that they be true.

We likewise would caution people to flee vanity. People will sometimes argue against the vestments worn by Orthodox clergy, but the Old Testament clergy were commanded to wear fancy clothes because in that they gave a glimpse into the Kingdom of God. Every vestment word is a reminder to the clergy and to the people of God and His care for us, and they are only put on with prayer. And to go just a little further, the vestments that I wear in Church are fancy, but they cost less than the suit I got married in. It is not about appearing wealthy or fashionable, but portraying the beauty of our Lord.

They were very much a work in progress at that point, as we all are. We all need such reminders from time to time to humble ourselves. Nothing has changed in that regard.

This is the call that the Church makes to us all the time. Come to an Orthodox service sometime, and speak to the people there. This is very much alive in Orthodoxy. We are not to make anything about us, but about God. If you see something that you don't think points the people to God, ask about it, I guarantee it does even if it is not obvious how.

"This person" is me, so I will venture to give you a more accurate picture of what I mean rather than what you think I meant. If you had a conduit to God, wouldn't you think it deserves respect? When Uzzah reached out to stop the ark from falling, he was struck dead. When Nadab and Abihu offered strange fire, fire consumed them, and they weren't even given a normal burial. We treat the things of God with respect. So it seems that you either deny that, or you deny that these things are conduits to God. I suspect it is the latter more than the former. Icons bear the image of the person they depict, they connect us with those people. They are not somehow trapped in the icon, but they are made present just as a photograph of a loved one makes them present. These people may have departed from this life, their souls are no longer in their bodies, but they are alive in Christ and active in our lives. Moses, though dead, spoke to Christ on Mount Tabor, the dead don't cease to exist, and by God's grace they are able to act in our lives and so when we see their image it reminds us that they are our brothers and sisters in Christ who desire to be a part of our lives. I'm sure you disagree, but like a healing handkerchief, there are millions of examples of miraculous things happening by the intercession of Saints and through their icons.

I am an iconographer. I make icons as a vocation. I don't think they are the most beautiful and wonderful things in the world. Truth be told I am more able to see the faults in my work than the handiwork of God. So it is not out of pride that I say these things. It is because of the reality that they express. God became incarnate, and He continues to work in His creation. Icons are like the gospels themselves because they proclaim the good news of Christ's victory over sin, death and the devil. So do you think the Bible should be used as a decoration on a shelf, or as a coaster under your drink? No, you should read it! An icon is something we should look at, we should contemplate the truths contained therein, and we should use that as a call to prayer, to stand before our Creator and hear His voice. A person can certainly have an icon even if it is only a decoration, but they would be better off using it. The more opportunities we have for this that we don't take, the more we are held accountable for not heeding God's call. That is my point.
The insistence on treating these physical objects as though they have some kind of supernatural power is concerning in comparison to everything Jesus said about moving away from reliance on physical objects as signs of spirituality.

Again I point you to all of the physical things God has used. They are not gods themselves, or idols, but the power of God can be made manifest in the physical
I mean, exploitation of religious relics has made Christianity into a parody of itself where bread turns into the literal flesh DNA of Jesus inside the stomach (but turns back into bread if it is observed via any measuring instruments or is vomited back up) and where making a crucifix shape with your fingers scares the devil.

We certainly believe that bread and wine become the body and blood of our Lord, because He said so. We don't believe it happens in the stomach, we don't believe that it ever stops being the body and blood of Christ, even if vomited up. It is clear in the Scriptures that Jesus was not speaking metaphorically, and the entirety of Christian history attests to His words being literal. It is only in the 16th century that anyone thought otherwise.

In terms of the sign of the Cross, how could the Cross of our Lord be without power? Even before our Lord went to His voluntary crucifixion it had power. When the Israelites fought the Amalekites they were given victory by Moses' arms being held up in the form of the cross. When the Israelites were dying from snake bites the brass serpent was put up to heal them and Christ Himself draws the parallel to His crucifixion. When the waters of Marah were too bitter to drink they were sweetened by wood just as the bitterness of death was taken away by the wood of the cross. The lamb was slain before the foundation of the world, and so His cross has always been powerful against the adversary. Try it sometime, it works.

We don't believe that it is the matter of the icon -- the paint, the wood, the gold, etc. -- that are important, but rather the image itself. When two pieces of wood are held together in the form of the cross they call to mind our Lord's saving passion. Taken separately they are wood for the fire. By becoming man, Christ shows us that matter matters, but we still recognize that whatever grace is given through matter is from God, not from the things that are used for our benefit.

Saint John of Damascus wrote "Of old, God the incorporeal and formless was never depicted, but now that God has been seen in the flesh and has associated with human kind, I depict what I have seen of God. I do not venerate matter, I venerate the fashioner of matter, who became matter for my sake and accepted to dwell in matter and through matter worked my salvation, and I will not cease from reverencing mattter, through which my salvation was worked."

Nope. It's about really recognizing what God has done. It has nothing to do with us. But because God has done great and wondrous things for us, we should never fail to recognize these things and to cherish them with all our hearts.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
By becoming man, Christ shows us that matter matters, but we still recognize that whatever grace is given through matter is from God, not from the things that are used for our benefit.
I worship the God Who became matter, and Who through matter wrought my salvation.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My only comment is this:

2023 is the year American Calvinists noticed Orthodoxy is growing in numbers, and are racing to plug the gaps through a reviving of its historical tradition of iconoclasm.

Thankfully, God's peoples have experience surviving iconoclasts, par excellence, through Muslims and Communists.

"Bless my enemies, O Lord. Even I bless them and do not curse them."

Last edited:
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From St. Gregory ( Palamas) on our understanding of the 10 commandments. In particular re icons vs graven images:

2. 'You shall not make an image of anything in the heavens above, or in the earth below, or in the sea' (cf Exod. 20:4), in such a way that you worship these things and glorify them as gods. For all are the creations of the one God, created by Him in the Holy Spirit through His Son and Logos, who as Logos of God in these latter times took flesh from a virgin's womb, appeared on earth and associated with men (cf Baruch 3:37), and who for the salvation of men suffered, died and arose again, ascended with His body into the heavens and 'sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on High' (Heb. I :3), and who will come again with His body to judge the living and the dead. Out of love for Him you should make, therefore, an icon of Him who became man for our sakes, and through His icon you should bring Him to mind and worship Him, elevating your intellect through it to the venerable body of the Savior, that is set on the right hand of the Father in heaven. In like manner you should also make icons of the saints and venerate them, not as gods - for this is forbidden - but because of the attachment, inner affection and sense of surpassing honor that you feel for the saints when by means of their icons the intellect is raised up to them. It was in this spirit that Moses made icons of the Cherubim within the Holy of Holies (cf. Exod. 25:18). The Holy of Holies itself was an image of things supracelestial (cf. Exod. 25:40; Heb. 8:5), while the Holy Place was an image of the entire world. Moses called these things holy, not glorifying what is created, but thrown it glorifying God the Creator of the world. You must not, then, deiiy the icons of Christ and of the saints, but through them you should venerate Him who originally created us in His own image, and who subsequently consented in His ineffable compassion to assume the human image and to be circumscribed by it.

You should venerate not only the icon of Christ, but also the similitude of His cross. For the cross is Christ's great sign and trophy of victory over the devil and all his hostile hosts; for this reason they tremble and flee when they see the figuration of the cross. This figure, even prior to the crucifixion, was greatly glorified by the prophets and wrought great wonders; and when He who was hung upon it, our Lord Jesus Christ, comes again to judge the living and the dead, this His great and terrible sign will precede Him, full of power and glory (cf Matt. 24:30). So glorify the cross now, so that you may boldly look upon it then and be glorified with it. And you should venerate icons of the saints, for the saints have been crucified with the Lord; and you should make the sign of the cross upon your person before doing so, bringing to mind their communion in the sufferings of Christ. In the same way you should venerate their holy shrines and any relic of their bones; for God's grace is not sundered from these things, even as the divinity was not sundered from Christ's venerable body at the time of His life-quickening death. By doing this and by glorifying those who glorified God - for through their actions they showed themselves to be perfect in their love for God - you too will be glorified together with them by God, and with David you will chant: 'I have held Thy friends in high honor, Lord' (Ps. 159: 17. LXX).

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My only comment is this:

2023 is the year American Calvinists noticed Orthodoxy is growing in numbers, and are racing to plug the gaps through a reviving of its historical tradition of iconoclasm.

Thankfully, God's peoples have experience surviving iconoclasts, par excellence, through Muslims and Communists.

"Bless my enemies, O Lord. Even I bless them and do not curse them."

Fortunately for us this is limited mainly to the fundamentalist Calvinists, people like John MacArthur. We are not experiencing any blowback from, for example, the Church of Scotland, or the Reformed Episcopalians, or the PCUSA, or the Continental Reformed churches, or Park Street Church in Boston and any members of the CCCC, and for that matter even the United Church of Christ is leaving us alone, although if they knew how strong our stance is against homosexuality and abortion I have no doubt some UCC clergy, such as the extremely annoying and political pastor of Old South Church in Boston would get on our case, but it wouldn’t be about icons, and indeed some UCC parishes have dabbled with idolatry in order to try and compete with the Unitarian Universalists that they seem to be trying to catch up to in terms of apostasy. The same is true of the other UCC in Canada, where in the nave of one of their churches they committed an act of blasphemy that I regard as a total rejection of the Christian faith when they sought to make a liturgical event out of the administration of euthanasia.

Part of the reason I embraced Holy Orthodoxy is because I trust the persecuted Christians of the Middle East and Eastern Europe, after being so brutally persecuted by Communists and Islamic fundamentalists, would not yield to secular pressures with regards to the amorality of contemporary Western society. I would also note that even the several of the those Orthodox churches which come closest to liberalism, such as the Church of Finland, are those which have existed for the greatest length of time without persecution, and on the contrary, in the case of Finland, enjoy government support like that of the Lutherans, but even then, while for example in the Church of Greece there are some bishops to the left of what one might prefer, there are also some ultra-traditionalist bishops and a few who are frankly kind of controversial for the opposite reasons as the Church of Finland, such as Metropolitan Seraphim of Piraeus, but in any case, one is still much less likely to experience the horrors of the Iconoclasm of liberal Christianity which manifested itself in the “wreckovation” of Catholic and Anglican parishes and also in the architecture of recently built mainline churches, and the equally unpleasant iconoclasm of holier-than-thou Fundamentalists and of the non-denominational evangelical megachurches.

• Informative
Reactions: Justin-H.S.
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I recommend you read the canons of the Second Council of Nicaea. The matter was resolved a long time ago.

For that matter perhaps it would be nice if people read the SOP of this forum and used the St. Justin Martyr subforum for debating us about our doctrine rather than posting it out here in the main forum. Of course that doesn’t happen in Traditional Theology despite an instruction to do so literally being posted in bold red letters at the top of the forum, so it seems a bit of wishful thinking. But it seems especially annoying in this context, because of all the denominations on Christian forums, I believe we are the only one that bothered with providing a subforum where people can debate us on our beliefs.

Perhaps we should also add the acts and canons of the Second Council of Nicaea to the sticky thread on the veneration of icons.

Upvote 0