Pensacola
✟14,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Let's face it folks, some of us got it (you) and some of us don't (me)

What's the purpose in all the variety?

We're made in God's image, that's why I imagine we have so many different traits and abilities spread out among us. But what about the actual ability of your central processing unit? Why is that different all around?

I can think of a few options, do you agree any one of them, or can you think of more?

1. The fruit of knowledge of good and evil changed our brains, allowing for the branching out of varying levels of intelligence based on "sin consumption" early on

2. God made your brain capable of whatever specific task He wanted you to perform, and beyond whatever that is, no more intelligence was required of you

3. Intelligence is a muscle you choose to improve or not

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

We're made in God's image, that's why I imagine we have so many different traits and abilities spread out among us. But what about the actual ability of your central processing unit? Why is that different all around?

I can think of a few options, do you agree any one of them, or can you think of more?

1. The fruit of knowledge of good and evil changed our brains, allowing for the branching out of varying levels of intelligence based on "sin consumption" early on

2. God made your brain capable of whatever specific task He wanted you to perform, and beyond whatever that is, no more intelligence was required of you

I think you got it! You're way smarter than you think!

I only disagree with #2. God will not limit you based on a task given.

• Friendly
Reactions: Instrument150
Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I only agree with number 2! I often pray for more intelligence to understand scripture and academic articles but somehow I know that God gave me the gift of simplicity :D

Sometimes I am given the intelligence to understand something and other times it might as well be written in Hindi. I don't mind, Jesus said:

"Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.'
Matthew 18:3

Well, I do agree with number 3 to a certain extent. Practice increases ability, up to the God given abilities as per number 2.
I believe that Jesus, as my Guru (and Saviour) reveals things to me gradually as I can handle them and as I need them.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil has nothing to do with intelligence and general knowledge. I would suggest that it is uninformed and unintelligent to think that it is.
"Sin consumption" only promotes a certain path of intelligence that leads to death, whereas the same level of intelligence turned to the purposes of God leads to the Kingdom of God itself.

There are many forms of intelligence. Academic intelligence, although highly prized, is definitely not the most important for general living.
It of the least important, or even counter productive, when it comes to listening and obeying the Spirit and the simple laying down of our lives in Love for our neighbour.

Yes, as for all biological functions, use it or loose it.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Intelligence is a gifting like all others we receive of God ... beauty, talents, health, family support, emotional wholeness, etc.

Some of us get more, while others get less. But we have God's promise that we (His children) will have what we need (to accomplish His will for our lives). It is up to us to use what God has given us for His purpose.

There is also an indication that God will add to our giftings if we are faithful in using what we have for His purpose.

Matthew 25

14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. 15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. 16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents. 17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two. 18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.

19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.

20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more. 21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. 23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: 27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. 28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Instrument150

Aug 6, 2017
Pensacola
✟14,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
The fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil has nothing to do with intelligence and general knowledge. I would suggest that it is uninformed and unintelligent to think that it is.
"Sin consumption" only promotes a certain path of intelligence that leads to death, whereas the same level of intelligence turned to the purposes of God leads to the Kingdom of God itself.

First, keep in mind that I never gave myself to any of those options. I think God made me in such a way that I can do anything. That first option is more or less ... food for thought. Get it

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My understanding is that one's base ability to remember and speed of thought is largely genetic but influenced by environmental factors (e.g. prenatal care, malnutrition, or injury). In other words, basic brain function is based in genetics but affected by general nutrition and health.

Over the years, I've come to a few conclusions about developed mental capabilities.

1. Thinking: the ability to think clearly and systematically is largely due to environment and a result of working at it. Clear thinking is a learned skill, not an innate one.
2. Learning: the ability to learn new skills is correlated highly with adopting the appropriate methods at the appropriate time for various individuals. Our current educational system is largely based on assembly line methods that guarantee minimum acceptable levels of mediocrity for the masses according to a given schedule rather than maximizing individual achievement. Very few people learn how to effectively become self-teaching students.
3. Wisdom: there is a vast difference between knowing many individual facts and understanding how to use them effectively. Wisdom is an acquired ability that allows you to consider facts, think about them clearly, foresee consequences and rewards, and then to apply all of this to dynamic and unforeseen situations. It is partially rooted in experience, thinking, and learning, but also in meditation and reflection.

Having good genetics and a good environment for brain function makes 1, 2, and 3 easier to achieve, but is no guarantee of it.

Could I run a marathon? If I dedicated hours a day for the next year on a training program, probably. Would I be an Olympic contender? Not in this life. In the same way, I think anyone (unless limited by injury or other such issues) can pursue clear and logical thinking, learning new skills, and learning wisdom; and make a lot of progress toward these in their life. These are not "goals" that are achieved, but higher and higher levels of ability as one improves. If I started working toward running a marathon and dedicated a few years to training, I could probably run a lot of good HS and college athletes into the ground over 5 to 10 to 15 miles even if I cannot make it to 26 miles. They may have a lot more youth and natural ability than me, but spending a few years properly training for extremely long distances will produce an ability that natural skills cannot do on their own. Thinking and learning and wisdom are acquired and developed in the same way. They are not innate but rather developed capabilities and skills.

I think anyone is capable of learning a lot more than they think they can. Our mass-production system of education has left many people lacking in the confidence and skills to be able to learn new skills on their own. A dependency on schools and teachers has been created. For example, I've come to the conclusion that it should be natural for all of us to be able to function in a handful of different languages. However, because of the way we've been taught how to learn languages in the US, most Americans view adult language learning as something for the highly gifted that can only be achieved after years and years of finding the right courses with the right teachers and textbooks. Contrast this to places in the world where people who've never been to formal school can communicate in multiple languages of the tribes around them.

I think the typical person is capable of much larger achievements than they've been lead to believe they are capable of.

Upvote 0