Moscow concert attack live updates: Putin vows to punish terrorists after Moscow concert attack kills 133

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Russia has arrested 11 people, including all 4 gunmen suspected of carrying out the attack at a crowded concert venue in a Moscow suburb last night, the head of the country's Federal Security Service (FSB) has told President Vladimir Putin.
  • At least 133 people are now known to have been killed as more bodies were found in the rubble, Russia's Investigative Committee said this morning. Men in camouflage broke into the concert hall, opened fire, and set the crowded venue ablaze. The death toll is expected to rise.
  • The terror group ISIS has claimed responsibility but did not provide proof of the claim. U.S. officials confirmed to NBC News that they had been gathering intelligence for months that ISIS could mount a mass casualty attack in Russia, though no final assessment had been made yet about who was responsible. U.S. embassy officials issued a warning earlier this month urging people to stay away from large gatherings.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was surprised it was ISIS, but not surprised it was ISIS. I just forgot about them in the shuffle of all the other chaos. Now that memory serves, I don't think they're going away. The upside is Russia, i.e., Putin, now has an actually enemy to target instead of creating one via unprovoked invasion.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I was surprised it was ISIS, but not surprised it was ISIS. I just forgot about them in the shuffle of all the other chaos. Now that memory serves, I don't think they're going away. The upside is Russia, i.e., Putin, now has an actually enemy to target instead of creating one via unprovoked invasion.
In case you missed it, Russia is blaming Ukraine for this.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,780.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
In case you missed it, Russia is blaming Ukraine for this.
And trying to ignore that the US warned them about ISIS planning something and ignored it, saying that the US was just trying to fearmonger.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
  • Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a sneaking suspicion that the captured perpetrators won't be enjoying some of the due process and criminals' rights that one might enjoy in westernized democracies.

While the focus has understandably been on other aspects of Russia over the past decade, I think many forget there's a history (and not a good one) between Russia and Islamic Fundamentalists.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
US confirms Islamic State was behind it (and Ukraine is not).

“ISIS bears sole responsibility for this attack,” National Security Council spokeswoman Adrienne Watson said in a statement, using an acronym for Islamic State.
Doesn't matter. Russian state TV will tell Russians that Ukraine did it, enough Russians will believe it and Putin will declare formal war and do another round of mobilisations, as well as another round of attacks on Ukranian civilians. No member of ISIS will be harmed.

There is likely a lot of celebration in their headquarters right now. Getting the "infidels" to fight each other is probably the best case outcome.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Rusian trolls are quite busy on youtube, commenting under every video. Their comments mostly applaud Russia for mistreating its prisoners and mocking "the west" for giving such people basic human rights. Any other comment is flagged to oblivion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,780.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Rusian trolls are quite busy on youtube, commenting under every video. Their comments mostly applaud Russia for mistreating its prisoners and mocking "the west" for giving such people basic human rights. Any other comment is flagged to oblivion.
Oh it doesn't stop there. There's an AI voice altered video being spread around where it's made to sound like Ukrainian officials are saying "hope they are having fun in Moscow today". Too bad the video itself is just reused from earlier BBC interviews though.
Oh, and Belarus is also kinda shooting Moscows attempts to try to pin this on Ukraine as well. They released a statement saying that they greatly helped capture the perpetrators in assistance with Russian officials as they were trying to cross the Russia-Belarus border.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The US warning to Russia was more specific than previously reported"

More than two weeks before terrorists staged a bloody attack in the suburbs of Moscow, the U.S. government told Russian officials that Crocus City Hall, a popular concert venue, was a potential target, according to U.S. officials familiar with the matter.

The high degree of specificity conveyed in the warning underscores Washington’s confidence that the Islamic State was preparing an attack that threatened large numbers of civilians, and it directly contradicts Moscow’s claims that the U.S. warnings were too general to help preempt the assault.

Upvote 0