WI
✟76,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. Space is one of my favorite subjects, and I hope that in the future, humans can return to the Moon or eventually take a round-trip to Mars, after solving societal issues on Earth first. One such societal issue has not been solved: Corporate negligence. There has been recent news about SpaceX, the company run by CEO Elon Musk which state that workers at the space launch corporation have been injured, and mistreated. Safety at SpaceX is treated as a second or third priority, while profits and speed are emphasized. There have been 600 reported injuries at SpaceX since 2014, and one employee death due to a gust of wind, which blew a worker off a crane. CEO Elon Musk has even disregarded safety protocols, disliking bright colors such as yellow safety clothing from being worn by workers. When money is placed above people, employees or customers get treated like trash.

SpaceX injuries abound: At SpaceX, worker injuries soar in Elon Musk’s rush to Mars

EDIT (11/24/2023): This thread is not a place to be victim-blaming the SpaceX workers who got injured as described in the news article. It is not very Christian to victim-blame, when we should really focus on the epidemic problems of negligence by upper management at major corporations.

Last edited:

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,335.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello folks. Space is one of my favorite subjects, and I hope that in the future, humans can return to the Moon or eventually take a round-trip to Mars, after solving societal issues on Earth first. One such societal issue has not been solved: Corporate negligence. There has been recent news about SpaceX, the company run by CEO Elon Musk which state that workers at the space launch corporation have been injured, and mistreated. Safety at SpaceX is treated as a second or third priority, while profits and speed are emphasized. There have been 600 reported injuries at SpaceX since 2014, and one employee death due to a gust of wind, which blew a worker off a crane. CEO Elon Musk has even disregarded safety protocols, disliking bright colors such as yellow safety clothing from being worn by workers. When money is placed above people, employees or customers get treated like trash.

SpaceX injuries abound: At SpaceX, worker injuries soar in Elon Musk’s rush to Mars
Opinions or facts? Just the word " rush" is a hint.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. Space is one of my favorite subjects, and I hope that in the future, humans can return to the Moon or eventually take a round-trip to Mars, after solving societal issues on Earth first.
I'm glad you included that. I agree that solving all problems on Earth should be a priority over spending billions sending people wandering around into the nothingness for no reason.

We were bored with moon missions immediately after the first moon landing. I had a cousin who was one of the early '70's Apollo astronauts, and I can't even remember his name without Googling. They brought us back some rocks. :| I have rocks in my backyard. They tried to justify the effort and expense saying "we got microwave ovens and Tang". We would have gotten those anyway, and Tang is nasty. I wish someone could explain to me the enthusiasm for "space exploration".

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,937.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad you included that. I agree that solving all problems on Earth should be a priority over spending billions sending people wandering around into the nothingness for no reason.

We were bored with moon missions immediately after the first moon landing. I had a cousin who was one of the early '70's Apollo astronauts, and I can't even remember his name without Googling. They brought us back some rocks. :| I have rocks in my backyard. They tried to justify the effort and expense saying "we got microwave ovens and Tang". We would have gotten those anyway, and Tang is nasty. I wish someone could explain to me the enthusiasm for "space exploration".

Because it's cool.

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

For me, I am somewhere in the middle. We should endeavor to explore space, but first spend money on the poor. If that means reducing tuition for the poor, so more folks can be come scientists and work on new space missions, that is one way of helping the poor. If food is grown in a new way on a space station that could improve crop yields on Earth, the go right ahead into space. But if billionaires are showing off their proprietary rockets for profit, nah, then SpaceX is useless to society.

Space is cool, but we should never let billionaires get in control of outer space. It should remain public.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As for the actual OP topic, I can easily imagine that there's injuries at SpaceX after the stuff I've seen about Tesla.
Yes, certainly Mr. Musk is responsible for gusts of wind.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,937.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

No, but as CEO of the company, he is responsible for making sure that workers have adequate safety equipment so they don't fall from gusts of wind.

Do not tell me that you can not be that stupid to understand the point of what is being said.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Musk is responsible for his company to provide equipment such as safety harnesses to prevent workers from falling off a crane.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, but as CEO of the company, he is responsible for making sure that workers have adequate safety equipment so they don't fall from gusts of wind.

Do not tell me that you can not be that stupid to understand the point of what is being said.

Musk is responsible for his company to provide equipment such as safety harnesses to prevent workers from falling off a crane.
If I were the worker, I'd look out for myself, especially since that requires something as low cost as a piece of rope or bungee cord.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,937.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
If I were the worker, I'd look out for myself, especially since that requires something as low cost as a piece of rope or bungee cord.

There is literally no way I can say what I want to say without breaking forum rules on language in response to this.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,335.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

I.O.W. never do any space exploration.

That will be fine. Japan, India, China, and Russia
will take up the slack.

You don't even need to know what they have in mind.
Could be they are all stupid. Thats gotta be it.

Don't check whether it's true that Japanese, Korean,
Chinese ( Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong) far far outscore American "Students".

Dont wonder why Indians, Iranians andc Nigerians outperform americans on their home turf.

Never mind that half of Americans are so illiterate
that they think there was a worldcwide flood 4000
years ago. Choose intellectual dishonesty over pesky facts. Expect to,be rewarded for it

Keep it up, America! See if an angel with flaming
Sword ( which turns this way, and that) will,guard
your trailer parks from foreign supremacy.

I spent five wonderful years (except right at the end)
in the USA.

I DONT WANT YOUR COUNTRY TO FAIL.

But i don't know what you all think is going to happen,
the way you guys are going.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There is literally no way I can say what I want to say without breaking forum rules on language in response to this.
Well, I have worked a job where it required me to use common sense.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Agreed Mr. Warden. Same here, I wanted to say something also to Chester, but I keep it clean. Some folks in this world are similar to iridium and osmium if you catch my meaning, so we must pay no attention to them, or ignore them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I.O.W. never do any space exploration.

That will be fine. Japan, India, China, and Russia
will take up the slack.

You don't even need to know what they have in mind.
Could be they are all stupid. Thats gotta be it.

Don't check whether it's true that Japanese, Korean,
Chinese ( Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong) far far outscore American "Students".

Dont wonder why Indians, Iranians andc Nigerians outperform americans on their home turf.

Never mind that half of Americans are so illiterate
that they think there was a worldcwide flood 4000
years ago. Choose intellectual dishonesty over pesky facts. Expect to,be rewarded for it

Keep it up, America! See if an angel with flaming
Sword ( which turns this way, and that) will,guard
your trailer parks from foreign supremacy.

I spent five wonderful years (except right at the end)
in the USA.

I DONT WANT YOUR COUNTRY TO FAIL.

But i don't know what you all think is going to happen,
the way you guys are going.
Wow, I did not see this off-topic racist rant from left field coming.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,937.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Well, I have worked a job where it required me to use common sense.

If you did, then you would know, that as the head of a company, it is the CEO's job to make sure his workers don't get killed by having the necessay safety precautions and equipment in placee. That's common sense, because to have injuries and deaths that are easily preventable by having the right equipment and precautions in place is lawsuit territory.
It's common sense that the head of a company should do everything he or she can to avoid deaths or injuries so they don't face lawsuits.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you did, then you would know, that as the head of a company, it is the CEO's job to make sure his workers don't get killed by having the necessary safety precautions and equipment in place. That's common sense, because to have injuries and deaths that are easily preventable by having the right equipment and precautions in place is lawsuit territory.
It's common sense that the head of a company should do everything he or she can to avoid deaths or injuries so they don't face lawsuits.
Agreed 100% Warden. Am surprised that an Orthodox Christian of all people on this forum was in opposition to corporate safety on my thread. No wonder why people my age are leaving Christianity, it is because of folks who deny common sense and are quick to shoot common sense ideas down and judge the victims (ahem, priests r---ing minors, denial by the Church until recently). I am Christian myself, and don't have many Christian friends, as they are quick to judge.

Also, this is ironic: "Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding"

Upvote 0