United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
---Staff Edit---
I am not defending Infant baptism. There is a difference between defending and explaining some thing. I see the logic in it,biblically, but I have no desire to defend it or take it away. each person must make that decision in his own mind. Scripture is very clear that Christ has become our circumcision. Circumcision was done on children not adults. It was the entrence requirement for the O.T. covenant. Now the entrance requirement for the N.T. Covenant is baptism it stand to reason that the enterence requirement to be in Christ is baptism that that baptism is available at the age of circumcision and a replacement for it. Christ has become our circumcision. to say that it's foundations is unbiblcal is foolish.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
---Staff Edit---
Those Early Fathers were martyred for their belief in Christ, they defended Christianity against pagans. Such disrespectful attitudes coming from the irrational fear of History.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The doctrine of infant baptism is no biblical doctrine at all..
I Can judge that. It does not exist in .
scripture.

Nor does the Bible specify that left-handed people born in Iowa should be baptized, so I guess my baptism was a mistake.

For no faith is exercised by the infant ...

You can prove that?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nor does the Bible specify that left-handed people born in Iowa should be baptized, so I guess my baptism was a mistake.

You can prove that?
Yes lol ... The word repent means to change ones mind . obedience is an action of faith taken based upon what one believes.
No infant in arms can do either.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
---Staff Edit---

Many of the churches that the opponents of baptizing young children belong to will baptize a precocious 8 or 9 year old, justifying it on the basis that they have memorized something that amounts to "Jesus loves me," considering that to be the equivalent of a profession of faith, an acceptance of Christ as ones Lord and Savior, etc. Their level of comprehension when it comes to the meaning of sin, eternity, the Incarnation, the triune nature of God, redemption, contrition, is nowhere near adequate, nowhere the level of a teenager or adult, but they'll call it a "Believer's baptism" just the same.

• Informative
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
An even better example IMHO would be this--

Many of the churches that the opponents of baptizing young children belong to will baptize a precocious 8 or 9 year old, justifying it on the basis that they have memorized something that amounts to "Jesus loves me," considering that to be the equivalent of a profession of faith, an acceptance of Christ as ones Lord and Savior, etc. Their level of comprehension when it comes to the meaning of sin, eternity, the Incarnation, the triune nature of God, redemption, contrition, is nowhere near adequate, nowhere the level of a teenager or adult, but they'll call it a "Believer's baptism" just the same.

I wasn't aware of that baptismal practice. I have, however, had some discussions about the scripts they use, i.e. your reference to prompting the 8-yr-old to say "Jesus loves me".

The practice I find interesting is christening babies. Baptism in all but name only.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't aware of that baptismal practice. I have, however, had some discussions about the scripts they use, i.e. your reference to prompting the 8-yr-old to say "Jesus loves me".

The practice I find interesting is christening babies. Baptism in all but name only.
I think you mean "dedications." But yes, I sympathize with your thinking on that score. These services or rituals in church look for all the world like baptisms of children conducted for parents who belong to churches that don't believe in baptizing children. (?)

Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we add to scripture from an external scource which has no direct concord with scripture .we are in error.
Thats ok we make mistakes.
Revelation and understanding comes from the lord .
But if one claims a revelation from the lord which has no direct scripture to verify it.then the error is exposed.
The simple action we must take is to rethink.
To repent .
The one thing we must never do is hold beligerantly to our stance.
God cannot be wrong .
So if we do not agree with him in every aspect it is us that stand in error.
We must not hold to pride and impose tradition for the sake of tradition in plain opposition to Gods word.
Thats what the Pharisees did ...and in thier refusal to humble themselves they took the lord JESUS and nailed him to that wood alive.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,225,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
full

Thread had undergone a major cleanup due to
Flaming and Goading:
Do not personally attack (insult, belittle, mock, ridicule) other members or groups of members on CF. Address only the content of the post and not the poster.
Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DanishLutheran

Dec 22, 2018
Aarhus
✟25,867.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Just curious for those that believe in infant baptism, sprinkling, etc where did this idea come from since Jesus himself was not baptized until he was around 29-30?

Different baptism. Jesus was baptized with the baptism of John the Baptist, who himself said that the one who would come after him ( = Jesus) would baptize with a different baptism.

Also, baptism is to the New Covenant, what circumcision was to the Old. There is no way that any member of the Old Covenant would make their child wait 30 years - or even one - before being circumcized.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

timtams

Aug 26, 2018
South
✟74,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is NO definition of "household"--oikos==that excludes infants and children. In fact, it even includes slaves, servants, employees, and clients of it.

Are you sure about that? The Greek word includes only slaves and clients. Do you have ANY examples where it has to include infants?

Upvote 0

DanishLutheran

Dec 22, 2018
Aarhus
✟25,867.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Are you sure about that? The Greek word includes only slaves and clients. Do you have ANY examples where it has to include infants?

The Roman Pater Familias was the head of the ENTIRE household - slaves, children, infants, etc, all of it.
And no, the word does not mean "Just slaves and clients".

Upvote 0

timtams

Aug 26, 2018
South
✟74,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Roman Pater Familias was the head of the ENTIRE household - slaves, children, infants, etc, all of it.
And no, the word does not mean "Just slaves and clients".
You've added nothing. Provide evidence where oikos (not paterfamilias) includes infants, and not just the adult members of the family with their slaves and clients, and then you win the point that it "could" include infants on these occasions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DanishLutheran

Dec 22, 2018
Aarhus
✟25,867.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You've added nothing. Provide evidence where oikos (not paterfamilias) includes infants, and not just the adult members of the family with their slaves and clients, and then you win the point that it "could" include infants on these occasions.

Nice job at attempting to move the goalposts ;)
But no.

Affirmanti incumbit probatio.

YOU are the one who claims that oikos does not include infants for some magical reason. YOU are the one who needs to provide proof of this argument.
Until then, you're *beep* out of an argument.

Upvote 0