United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please elaborate on your assessment.
you seem to be starting with a premise that baptism is about choice and repentence. so you seem to be beating your head on the stone of infant baptisim because it does not meet this requirement. Well have ever considered that it is not about either of them. Start with the purpose of circumcision and baptism. What are they therefor, what is there purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you seem to be starting with a premise that baptism is about choice and repentence. so you seem to be beating your head on the stone of infant baptisim because it does not meet this requirement. Well have ever considered that it is not about either of them. Start with the purpose of circumcision and baptism. What are they therefor, what is there purpose.
Baptism is about choice and repentance.
I'm not beating my head on any stone regarding infant baptism, it is what the thread is about.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟371,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Friend, it most certainly is about a choice.
Legal transactions???
no it is not about choice, it may or may not include choice. that is where you are tripping yourself up. In order to go from the kingdom of the world to the kingdom of God you must under go a legal transaction. in the O.T. that ment being circumcised. When you had violated the term of the Covenant and need reconciliation you had to under go another legal requirement, Sacrifice. being out side the covenant ment being out side the blessings and favor of God. circumcision was that way you had a legal right to the blessing that God bestowed on His people. it stands to reason that since baptism replaces circumcision that it should be applied to children as well. This qualifies them for the blessings of the Covenant and transfers then for the kingdom of this world to the kingdom of Christ.

• Informative
Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Just curious for those that believe in infant baptism, sprinkling, etc where did this idea come from since Jesus himself was not baptized until he was around 29-30?
1) Where and why infants ?
A: From Scripture
Matthew 28:19 Infants are a part of "all nations" and, therefore, are included among those Jesus commands to be baptized.

Acts 2:38,39 Infants are a part of: "Repent and be baptized, every one of you,"
--------------- Just as the promise is: The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Why include infants?
Psalm 51:5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

Ephesians 2:3
All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and
following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.

John 3:5,6 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit, Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit."

2) The word "baptize" in Greek as used in New Testament times, was not limited to just immersion. It also means "to apply water in various ways: immerse, wash, pour, or sprinkle"

Mark 7:3,4 ---- the last word used in the Greek in 7:4 is κλινῶν (klinōn) ---
  • couches for dining
  • utensils
There is no reason to believe that the Pharisees and all the Jews immersed the couches as they observed many other traditions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Baptism follows one accepting Christ as Saviour.
Infants are not capable of making the decision to accept or reject Christ.
Therefore one can conclude that infant baptism wouldn't be legit.

However, Christ is capable of making the decision to accept them, and that is what matters.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious for those that believe in infant baptism, sprinkling, etc where did this idea come from since Jesus himself was not baptized until he was around 29-30?

I was christened in the name of the Triune God when I was an infant and immersed fully when I was confirmed at the age of 12. I didn't become a believer until the age of 16.

Official Catholic teachings, I believe, say that their baptism saves a baby. However, Protestant beliefs say that the ceremony doesn't cause a baby to receive God's new birth. So what does it mean, according to Protestants? Well, Reformed Protestants believe that God has made a covenant or personal and communal relationship with his church. For all the reasons and Scriptures on this thread, the two sides of that covenant are God's side and his people's as his community and individuals.

In infant baptism, God is welcoming the infant into his family of faith, and the parents are committing themselves to raising the child in the Christian faith by praying and working for God's salvation

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where does it say he wasnt ?

Being fact that it says "when he..came up out of the water"
We don't know whether John the Baptist sprinkled, poured water, or immersed repentant people. Please don't argue from what the Scriptures don't say.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) Where and why infants ?
A: From Scripture
Matthew 28:19 Infants are a part of "all nations" and, therefore, are included among those Jesus commands to be baptized.

Acts 2:38,39 Infants are a part of: "Repent and be baptized, every one of you,"
--------------- Just as the promise is: The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Why include infants?
Psalm 51:5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

Ephesians 2:3
All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and
following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.

John 3:5,6 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit, Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit."

2) The word "baptize" in Greek as used in New Testament times, was not limited to just immersion. It also means "to apply water in various ways: immerse, wash, pour, or sprinkle"

Mark 7:3,4 ---- the last word used in the Greek in 7:4 is κλινῶν (klinōn) ---
  • couches for dining
  • utensils
There is no reason to believe that the Pharisees and all the Jews immersed the couches as they observed many other traditions.
actually it is ..baptize simply.means ..to Dip.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
baptism is not about having a choice or repentence. in may or may not. include that but it is not about that. It is a legal transaction. That take you from one state and places you into another state.
To the Jews, in the Second Chapter of Acts, it represented their having turned away from the Law and Moses and having turned to Jesus Christ, the Messiah, and the New Covenant.

Acts 2:36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
baptism is not about having a choice or repentence. in may or may not. include that but it is not about that. It is a legal transaction. That take you from one state and places you into another state.
To repent means to change your mind about which way your living and go Gods way.
Thus repentance always precedes water baptism.
Without repentance its just pretense to get baptised.

For this simple reason alone .Infant baptism is completly irrelevant .
For they can niether repent nor have they knowledgably willfuly commited a sin .

• Agree
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
To repent means to change your mind about which way your living and go Gods way.

For they can niether repent nor have they knowledgably willfuly commited a sin .
True, but still have sin natures, and still sin, but the Cross of Christ has taken away their guilty standing before God!

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It only works with adults. Babies of Christians can be baptized.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True, but still have sin natures, and still sin, but the Cross of Christ has taken away their guilty standing before God!
All may still unwittingly sin ..but absolutley no one who loves JESUS and is born of God willfully knowingly practices Sin .
And no obe born of God continues to practice a sin once they become aware of it they confess it are cleansed and Do NOT continue in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟371,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

This misses point infant baptism is to the new covanant what circumcision is to the O.T. it is the enterence requirement to the covenant.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This misses point infant baptism is to the new covanant what circumcision is to the O.T. it is the enterence requirement to the covenant.
Nah.it doesnt miss anything .your just trying to defend a man added non biblical tradition.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟371,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nah.it doesnt miss anything .your just trying to defend a man added non biblical tradition.
What I have found, in my studies of Church History. That early church was spot on in there theology and practice. They had a biblical rational for whatever they did. However, what the meaning and application they understood and intended have been twisted over time. this is especially true on things like the Sabbath, Sunday debate, Maryology, and the state of the dead, Papal Authority. Having grown up in a church that wanted to be biblical and rejected anything they did not understand as man made as heretical, I find that those who make that argument, lack the biblical training and historical knowledge to make such a bold claim. They never ask the right questions. What is the biblical basis for this action or teaching. What was the context that prompted the need to implement such a teaching. How was it originally applied. What prompted any changes in the original application of the teaching or practice. You are looking at 2000 years of History and is should be approached with humility. Not with an arrogant attitude.

Upvote 0