Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
In some ways stoning is a good form of punishment, because the entire community must participate.

There is no way it could have meant literally.

No way.

Like, if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off,
How onehanded Christians are there?

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
There is no way it could have meant literally.

No way.
Back in the day, I could believe it.

Like, if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off,
How onehanded Christians are there?
Scattered thou out the past 2000 years there have been a few Christian eunuch's about.

Edited to add:
Some took to heart Matthew 19:12 "For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others--and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Back in the day, I could believe it.

Scattered thou out the past 2000 years there have been a few Christian eunuch's about.

Edited to add:
Some took to heart Matthew 19:12 "For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others--and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."

Back in the day?
Are there no hard and evil hearts today too?

What is forbidden, we should not.
What is permitted we need not.

So even if were taken to be permitted,
there is no need to permit it.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, kind of...

Notice there is a frequency to the chanting and the stomping and the swaying of the heads? The chanting is probably in the theta range of 4-7 Hz. I think the stomping and head swaying may be half that frequency but they might reinforce the higher frequency. The shamanic drumming also has slower frequencies along with the theta frequency, because the drumming is done by a human instead of a machine and that might make it more interesting too.

Visual stimulation is supposed to be even more effective than audio stimulation for entraining the brain to that frequency. A crowd of people with their heads bobbing from side to side at that frequency gives visual stimulation.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Back in the day?

I think Jews used stoning as a form of execution at least until the Romans destroyed the Temple and Jewish homeland. Josephus says that James the brother of Jesus was stoned.
But this younger Ananus, who, as we have told you already, took the high priesthood, was a bold man in his temper, and very insolent; he was also of the sect of the Sadducees, who are very rigid in judging offenders, above all the rest of the Jews, as we have already observed; when, therefore, Ananus was of this disposition, he thought he had now a proper opportunity. Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the sanhedrin of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned
Josephus on Jesus - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In the Babylonian Talmud, the writers claim that Jesus was stoned before being hung on a tree, because stoning was the proper Jewish punishment. (This quote doesn't seem to be explicit about the stoning, but other quotes explain that Jesus was first stoned and then hung on a tree. Stoning was the correct punishment for the convictions. Medieval Christian censors made Jewish copyists and printers remove some of these quotes, because they found them offensive. So there are different versions and it requires some guessing to know the original text.)

It's interesting that Jews accepted primary responsibility for the death of Jesus in later centuries and actually were troubled by the mystery of Jesus being crucified instead of stoned. So they invented an explanation in the Babylonian Talmud. ... But in fact, most scholars think the Gospel authors pinned the blame on the Jewish authorities because the Jewish authorities were a safe target and the Roman authorities were a dangerous target. (The gospels were written after the Temple and Jerusalem were destroyed, so the Jewish authorities were weaker.)

On (Sabbath eve and) the eve of Passover Jesus the Nazarene was hanged and a herald went forth before him forty days heralding, 'Jesus the Nazarene is going forth to be stoned because he practiced sorcery and instigated and seduced Israel to idolatry. Whoever knows anything in defense may come and state it.' But since they did not find anything in his defense they hanged him on (Sabbath eve and) the eve of Passover. Ulla said: Do you suppose that Jesus the Nazarene was one for whom a defense could be made? He was a mesit (someone who instigated Israel to idolatry), concerning whom the Merciful [God]says: Show him no compassion and do not shield him (Deut. 13:9). With Jesus the Nazarene it was different. For he was close to the government.
Jesus in the Talmud - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I think Jews used stoning as a form of execution at least until the Romans destroyed the Temple and Jewish homeland. Josephus says that James the brother of Jesus was stoned.

Josephus on Jesus - Wikipedia

A while back in this threag I suggested why not call the Bible the tree of life,
or the Word of God the tree of life.

A guard was put to guard the tree of life, so that man would not stretch out his hand take from it, and eat and so live forever.

There is much mystical in the NT too,
Jesus spoke in parables.

It depends on the heart and mind of man if they find truth or not.

Today most want a source, link or some kind of proof,

They will not get it,

The heart has to be conditioned,

Blessings are sometimes described as rain,
What is the point of sending rain if the ground is not first prepared to recieve it?

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Visual stimulation is supposed to be even more effective than audio stimulation for entraining the brain to that frequency. A crowd of people with their heads bobbing from side to side at that frequency gives visual stimulation.
What the head bobbing and movements do in Zikr is to take a person out of their mind/body as they focus instead on the reality that there is only God and God is the only reality, which is what they are chanting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Back in the day?

All true...which is why I believe stoning was a thing....back in the day.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
A while back in this threag I suggested why not call the Bible the tree of life,
or the Word of God the tree of life.

A guard was put to guard the tree of life, so that man would not stretch out his hand take from it, and eat and so live forever.

There is much mystical in the NT too,
Jesus spoke in parables.

It depends on the heart and mind of man if they find truth or not.

Today most want a source, link or some kind of proof,

They will not get it,

The heart has to be conditioned,

Blessings are sometimes described as rain,
What is the point of sending rain if the ground is not first prepared to recieve it?

Blessings do fall like rain for all to receive.
The giver is unable to stop the rain of blessings, that's it's nature and the point.
As so eloquently pointed out, it's the receiver of the blessings that needs to be prepared.
It takes a soften heart to receive the forever falling rain.

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What the head bobbing and movements do in Zikr is to take a person out of their mind/body as they focus instead on the reality that there is only God and God is the only reality, which is what they are chanting.
Would you agree that this is the same as shamanic drumming other than the practitioner's objective (meeting a spirit animal vs. meeting God)? Chanting repeatedly, bobbing your head repeatedly, stepping in unison is all frequencies, and the frequencies seem close to the shamanic drumming and the theta brain frequency of 4-7 Hz.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Would you agree that this is the same as shamanic drumming other than the practitioner's objective (meeting a spirit animal vs. meeting God)? Chanting repeatedly, bobbing your head repeatedly, stepping in unison is all frequencies, and the frequencies seem close to the shamanic drumming and the theta brain frequency of 4-7 Hz.
There may be some similarities, but it's also way different. Often Sufi Zikr's change frequencies and tempo as well as bringing in different body movements. It depends upon the Sufi Order in how they do things. And where Shamans go into trance, Sufies do just the opposite and go into expanded awakened consciousness. Also, though a drum is most always present, so also are other musical instruments often present. And sometimes not at all, like when Zikr is done by one's self or a small group of Lovers of God.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And where Shamans go into trance, Sufies do just the opposite and go into expanded awakened consciousness.

The few times that I have successfully entered a trance state it felt like an expanded awakened consciousness somewhat. Buddhists meditation probably generates a trance state and they see that as expanded consciousness. I never felt that God was present while I was in a trance, but I only have a handful of experiences as data points.

The only time I felt that I saw God I might blame on eating too many carrots. LOL Also I was in an extremely depressed state of mind, and that is probably the true cause, but I did eat a whole bag of raw carrots just before going to sleep on the floor. I had a dream where it seemed that God answered some questions and showed Himself to me as a reassurance. Carrots... carrots are the key to God. Bugs Bunny will get on board with that religion. ;)

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
The few times that I have successfully entered a trance state it felt like an expanded awakened consciousness somewhat. Buddhists meditation probably generates a trance state and they see that as expanded consciousness. I never felt that God was present while I was in a trance, but I only have a handful of experiences as data points.
I've done shamanic work, trance states are not at all what Buddhist meditation or even the Sufies in the video gets into.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I've done shamanic work, trance states are not at all what Buddhist meditation or even the Sufies in the video gets into.

That's interesting. My brother-in-law is a hypnotist, and we were discussing trance, hypnosis, faith healers, etc. recently. He mentioned that there is debate among hypnotists about whether trance is actually intrinsic to hypnosis or not. So it's interesting that you see a distinction also. The only thing I have experienced is a light trance through staring at a candle or just recently through the shamanic drumming. I have also had visions or hallucinations, but they seemed to happen without any correlation to my own circumstances - unless maybe it was that I was uncertain about a choice to make.

If you care to elaborate on the differences that would be interesting, but maybe it is too involved.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
That's interesting. My brother-in-law is a hypnotist, and we were discussing trance, hypnosis, faith healers, etc. recently. He mentioned that there is debate among hypnotists about whether trance is actually intrinsic to hypnosis or not. So it's interesting that you see a distinction also. The only thing I have experienced is a light trance through staring at a candle or just recently through the shamanic drumming. I have also had visions or hallucinations, but they seemed to happen without any correlation to my own circumstances - unless maybe it was that I was uncertain about a choice to make.

If you care to elaborate on the differences that would be interesting, but maybe it is too involved.
I've never been hypnotized, but I don't have to jump very far to see why some connect it with trance. Trance is a different state of consciousness than is Buddhist meditation or Sufi Zikr which is more of a mystical experience.

As an example, take your candle meditation. This is only an example mind you...A shaman might trance on the light of the candle and let it take him to spirit, be it a spirit animal, plant or what ever. A mystic on the other hand would project themselves into the light, becoming the light and find the essence of him/herself as also light. I don't know if that us understandable or not.

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Buddhists meditation probably generates a trance state and they see that as expanded consciousness.

That's pretty much the opposite of Buddhist meditation. Any type of trance state would miss the point.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's pretty much the opposite of Buddhist meditation. Any type of trance state would miss the point.
The theta waves are common to both trance and Buddhist meditation. Of course @Quid est Veritas? mentioned earlier that the EEG is a course measure of brain state.

How do you define meditation?

Upvote 0