✟1,357,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 20:19-26 ESV

“The scribes and the chief priests sought to lay hands on him at that very hour, for they perceived that he had told this parable against them, but they feared the people. So they watched him and sent spies, who pretended to be sincere, that they might catch him in something he said, so as to deliver him up to the authority and jurisdiction of the governor. So they asked him, ‘Teacher, we know that you speak and teach rightly, and show no partiality, but truly teach the way of God. Is it lawful for us to give tribute to Caesar, or not?’ But he perceived their craftiness, and said to them, ‘Show me a denarius. Whose likeness and inscription does it have?’ They said, ‘Caesar's.’ He said to them, ‘Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.’ And they were not able in the presence of the people to catch him in what he said, but marveling at his answer they became silent.”

If we are teaching the truth of the Scriptures, in their true context, not meaning that we have to go into detail about everything, but that we are telling the truth of what the Scriptures teach, and we are not altering the Scriptures to teach what is false, we are going to be opposed as Jesus was. And especially on the internet we are going to have people who will try to trick and to trap us into saying something to where they can bring false accusations against us.

Honestly, from what I have witnessed in my 18 years of writing on the internet, I think there are many people who get on some discussion websites for the sole purpose of stirring up trouble. They are always looking to pick a fight or an argument with someone. And so we need to learn to be very discerning about these things so that we don’t fall into their traps. And we should be in the practice of answering people with the Scriptures, or if it is our own thinking, say it is.

Now I am not saying that everyone who disagrees with what we are sharing is trying to trick or to trap us into some meaningless discussion leading to an argument. But some do. And so this section of Scripture here (which tells us of how Jesus’ opponents did not like something he taught, and so they sought to catch him in something he said) serves as an example to us today in some ways in which we can handle what we can see is a trap. And sometimes it is best just not to answer them at all.

I will admit that, in my younger years, I used to be pretty naïve and easily I trusted others. But as I grew older I began to realize that not everyone is who he says he is. And especially on the internet anyone can be whoever he says he is, but he may be someone altogether different. For on the internet you can fake who you are, and some people will do this to try to get information out of people in order to trap them in some way. And now we have artificial intelligence (AI) in the mix to deal with. Is it possible they can even create fake people to serve as their spies? I will have to look into that.

Take for example on Social Media they like to ask a lot of personal questions about your lives, which on the surface looks like fun, questions like who was your favorite pet or what was your first automobile or your favorite food. It all seems innocent on a surface level. But then think about your passwords you create for yourself, and not just passwords, but your security questions you have for yourself may be some of these same questions. So be very careful if you decide to answer personal questions that you are not giving a thief entry into your accounts via your passwords and security questions.

For there are the spies being sent out to us via the internet, and in real life, who will pretend to be sincere in order that they might catch us in something we say, either to try to trip us up with our words so they have cause to accuse us, or to gain entry into our internet accounts. And I personally believe these “spies” have greatly increased in number over the past 20 years or so. And if you own a computer or even a TV or a smartphone, someone is listening to you, whether you realize it or not.

For example, have you noticed that you are having a casual conversation with someone, and your smartphones or computers are on and nearby and you mention the name of someone or the name of a product and so you decide you are now going to google that name. And all you have to do is type in one letter of the name and google knows what to fill in next, which is the word you were just talking about.

Same applies with advertising. You and your spouse are sitting there having a private (so-called) conversation about something, and the next thing you know when you get on the internet you are getting all sorts of ads for what you just talked about. This is the world we now live in. Everything we say can now be heard by computers unless we go somewhere away from technology, but then honestly we don’t even know what has been planted in some of our bodies via vaccinations, either.

So, spies are everywhere we look these days, and people may friend us on the internet who we don’t know, who could be spies, too. And it is a very sad situation we live in today, but we can’t trust everyone, for not everyone is who they appear to be. So, again, we must be discerning people who are not paranoid, but who are facing the reality of the world we now live in and who are wise to what is going on so we know how to respond. And I am not claiming to be perfect in this area, but I am growing in wisdom, for sure.

So, we, as followers of Christ, need to be those who are able to perceive craftiness and deceitful scheming and who seek the Lord for guidance in how to respond. And some of this deceitfulness and craftiness comes from pastors of churches in their sermons, or via books written by “Christian” authors, or via memes on social media, or via “Christian” songs and entertainment. So, just because it looks good or sounds good does not mean it is good. And just because someone appears sincere doesn’t mean he is.

So, again, guard against paranoia, but be wise and discerning because these days are evil and anything can be faked, and much is, so test everything you hear, see (or think you see) and read, and do so in prayer and against the Scriptures, and pray for much spiritual discernment so that you do not fall into other people’s traps. And watch out for scams, for they are everywhere. And where you have to give an answer for something you are teaching or sharing, make sure your answer is biblical and not your own opinion, unless you state that it is your own opinion. I have to do this, too.

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897
Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,
Holy and harmless, patient and brave;
Meekly enduring cruel reproaches,
Willing to suffer others to save.

O to be like Thee! while I am pleading,