Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But that's not possible for Luther to do so? I have more faith in Jesus than in any man.
Yes we need the Holy Spirit to be our Guide and our Teacher. The Bible talks about a dead, harlot, apostate church. Only we are told to let the wheat and the chafe grow together and the angels will sort everything out at the end of the age.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes we need the Holy Spirit to be our Guide and our Teacher. The Bible talks about a dead, harlot, apostate church.

Jesus speaks of a Church against which hell will not prevail, so I think you're mistaken.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus speaks of a Church against which hell will not prevail, so I think you're mistaken.
Gal 2:4 talks about " false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage" Do you know the difference between true brethren and "false brethren" that Paul is talking about in his letter to the galations?

Who do you think the Harlot is in Rev 17:2? By no stretch of the imagination can you say this is the Church Jesus is speaking about. "The kings of the earth were sexually immoral with her, and those who dwell on the earth were intoxicated with the wine of her immorality.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
interesting thread ... I’m wondering what people think now, if it’s more the invisible church that is thriving

Winner!!! It is the invisible church which is within the visible church (what I refer to as Christendom) that is the overcomers and the gates of hell cannot prevail against!

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
interesting thread ... I’m wondering what people think now, if it’s more the invisible church that is thriving
I think that without the physically locatable, visible Church, full of ofttimes bumbling and sinful and limited humans as it were, we would not have the Nicene creed with the doctrine of the Trinity having been hammered out at Nicaea, the canon of Scripture, especially the New Testament, as it was formalized in 382 at Rome, then sanctioned later at Florence, then later yet at Trent, the various teachings on justification and the role of grace as exemplified at the 2nd council of Orange, etc. In fact, by now Christianity might be a minor footnote in history at best without the Church-warts and all- that Christ established and that received, preserved, and proclaimed the gospel down through the centuries.

• Winner
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I like the structure but the shadows overcast more than the substance, like too much icing on a badly frosted exterior.
And yet how can we predict what the exterior might necessarily look like after centuries in this world? Maybe the interior is kept intact by a greater power in any case, in spite of human limitations or excess baggage. I'm saying that it's not either/or; the invisible church necessarily exists, but probably not without and totally apart from the visible one and its history. And that invisible Church is also an ideal, the perfect Bride of Christ which is not yet fully perfect, still manifesting all sorts of human warts, itself, by its members.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that without the physically locatable, visible Church, full of ofttimes bumbling and sinful and limited humans as it were, we would not have the Nicene creed with the doctrine of the Trinity having been hammered out at Nicaea, the canon of Scripture, especially the New Testament, as it was formalized in 382 at Rome, then sanctioned later at Florence, then later yet at Trent, the various teachings on justification and the role of grace as exemplified at the 2nd council of Orange, etc. In fact, by now Christianity might be a minor footnote in history at best without the Church-warts and all- that Christ established and that received, preserved, and proclaimed the gospel down through the centuries.

Well the true church resides within the visible church. But the visible church has grown more and more corrupt over the ages as was predicted and warned by the Lord and the writers of the NT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well the true church resides within the visible church. But the visible church has grown more and more corrupt over the ages as was predicted and warned by the Lord and the writers of the NT.
Well, it's a bit speculative IMO as to where, exactly. the corruption occurs. I've been a member of a non-Catholic Christian Church where great scandal happened even though they had seen themselves as quite holy and set apart beforehand. That's sort of a human thing unfortunately. And as far as doctrine goes there's significant widespread differences of opinion there throughout Christianity. And yet Christ told us that His Church would prevail-and as I see it that can only happen in spite of humans being human beings, to put it one way.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, it's a bit speculative IMO as to where, exactly. the corruption occurs. I've been a member of a non-Catholic Christian Church where great scandal happened even though they had seen themselves as quite holy and set apart beforehand. That's sort of a human thing unfortunately. And as far as doctrine goes there's significant widespread differences of opinion there throughout Christianity. And yet Christ told us that His Church would prevail-and as I see it that can only happen in spite of humans being human beings, to put it one way.

We should not be surprised that scandal happens within any church! It is inhabited by sinners saved by Grace! How th echurch responds to the scandal is the mark of how serious they are to do real business with God!

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We should not be surprised that scandal happens within any church! It is inhabited by sinners saved by Grace! How th echurch responds to the scandal is the mark of how serious they are to do real business with God!
I agree with that while remembering that the respondents will still be human- and so subject to the same weaknesses while hopefully moving to higher ground nonetheless. Man is stubborn and the light can take time to penetrate.

Reactions: nolidad
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with that while remembering that the respondents will still be human- and so subject to the same weaknesses while hopefully moving to higher ground nonetheless. Man is stubborn and the light can take time to penetrate.
To permede the visible church but not so with the invisible. They seem juxtupositioned in many ways.

Upvote 0