Incitement to violence. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez United States Representative vs. Sarah Palin

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is a follow up to the thread last week on Representatives
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez United States Representative
urged her followers to "Blow Up the Official Offices". A responder in that thread was talking about Trumps "fight like hell comment" about urging violence and not being idiomatic. Something I know is wrong because there are minutes maybe hours of Democratic politicians using the same language in adds, speeches etc.

While I was on that train of thought, I was thinking of similar things on topic. Specifically how the Democrats tried to blame Sarah Palin for the shooting of Gabby Gifford around 2011, because she ran some kind of cross hairs political add etc.

And this also reminds me of a Ron Paul being shot at by a Bernie Sanders supporter but he did not blame Bernie or the Democrats for that.

Suspect in congressional shooting was Bernie Sanders supporter, strongly anti-Trump | CNN

This is the issue, liberals take exception to Sarah Palin when it comes to her sanity, intelligence etc. , but I got the same issues with Representative Cortez! She is a scary ideologue!

But will add to that, I got questions about her relevant life experience before being in office, and if she is purely is a puppet of some Democratic strategist team of Cenk Uyugr fan wonks that write all her positions and speeches. I will also add, when it comes to issues like this I'm use to a "how dare you response" claiming sexism, racism etc. things that never are used when it comes to conservative people when they face obvious denigration.

Anyway I don't believe Representative Cortez deserves more respect, or the benefit of the doubt if we are not going to extend these rights and courtesies to all Americans, especially your political rivals!

Last edited:

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
This is a follow up to the thread last week on Representatives Acacia Cortez urged her followers to "Blow Up the Official Offices". A responder in that thread was talking about Trumps "fight like hell comment" about urging violence and not being idiomatic. Something I know is wrong because there are minutes maybe hours of Democratic politicians using the same language in adds, speeches etc.

While I was on that train of thought, I was thinking of similar things on topic. Specifically how the Democrats tried to blame Sarah Palin for the shooting of Gabby Gifford around 2011, because she ran some kind of cross hairs political add etc.

And this also reminds me of a Ron Paul being shot at by a Bernie Sanders supporter but he did not blame Bernie or the Democrats for that.

Suspect in congressional shooting was Bernie Sanders supporter, strongly anti-Trump | CNN

This is the issue, liberals take exception to Sarah Palin when it comes to her sanity, intelligence etc. , but I got the same issues with Representative Cortez! She is a scary ideologue!

But will add to that, I got questions about her relevant life experience before being in office, and if she is purely is a puppet of some Democratic strategist team of wonks that write all her positions and speeches. I will also add, when it comes to issues like this I'm use to a "how dare you response" claiming sexism, racism etc. things that never are used when it comes to conservative people when they face obvious denigration.

Anyway I don't believe Representative Cortez deserves more respect, or the benefit of the doubt if we are not going to extend these rights and courtesies to all Americans, especially your political rivals!

I'll take you seriously when you figure out how to spell her name correctly. :wave:

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟231,093.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is a follow up to the thread last week on Representatives Acacia Cortez urged her followers to "Blow Up the Official Offices".
This wasn't a call to violence by Rep. Ocasio-Cortez. When she said “We need to be really blowing up our elected officials’ offices and demanding relief because they want to continue getting away with doing far too little,” she was saying to call, text and email the official's offices.

From Urban Dictionary.

Blow up: To call/text someone repeatedly, or have multiple people call or text the same person.

What she was saying is: “We need to be really calling, texting, and emailing our elected officials’ offices repeatedly and demanding relief because they want to continue getting away with doing far too little,”

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'll take you seriously when you figure out how to spell her name correctly. :wave:

It's probably an issue with Microsoft talk to text feature. Sometimes it doesn't work well with people's names. I just tried it now, and it spelled her name: Acasio Cortez

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's probably an issue with Microsoft talk to text feature. Sometimes it doesn't work well with people's names. I just tried it now, and it spelled her name: Acasio Cortez

Nah it was me trying to use her full name, when I'm use to the abbreviation nickname; because, I'm pretty sure her abbreviation nickname is banned here (reading a TOS or other notice at one point), but that doesn't seem to be a rule enforced! I think I got that with a spell check here, or in google. Now that I recall I should have known better because the Fox News people occasionally say her full name, but that's what happens when you are forced to do things long handed, after using abbreviations.

And I will say the fore mentioned Rep. herself has made a stink a time or two when Republicans and her critics address her on Twitter with the nickname, "that is something only my friends and supporters get to call me." So I don't think my recollections are wrong.

In addition to this the TOS forbids nicknaming...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Nah it was me trying to use her full name, when I'm use to the abbreviation nickname; because, I'm pretty sure her abbreviation nickname is banned here (reading a TOS or other notice at one point), but that doesn't seem to be a rule enforced! I think I got that with a spell check here, or in google. Now I recall I should have known better because the Fox News people occasionally say her full name, but that's what happens when you are forced to do things long handed, after using abbreviations.

And I will say the fore mentioned Rep. herself has made a stink a time or two when Republicans and her critics address her on Twitter with the nickname, "that is something only my friends and supporters get to call me." So I don't think my recollections are wrong.

In addition to this the TOS forbids nicknaming...

When you refer to "nicknaming" are you referring to the 3 letters that people usually use to refer to her? I haven't heard of that being a violation, but I could be wrong. I thought everyone just called her that because it's far easier than pronouncing all 11 syllables of her entire name each time, or having to type it all out.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Link with longer video, so you can hear it in context (as pointed out in post #4) as she fixes me a margarita. [actually it was my spouse who prepared a Midori margarita, but a guy can pretend.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When you refer to "nicknaming" are you referring to the 3 letters that people usually use to refer to her?

Yeah I'm probably being overly cautious, but I recall that being banned here somewhere at some point in time, and I think it most likely was for what I was talking about earlier. If she objects to it, and seems like a slight that she is not being treated with respect compared to other politicians etc.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I'm probably being overly cautious, but I recall that being banned here somewhere at some point in time, and I think it most likely was for what I was talking about earlier. If she objects to it, and seems like a slight that she is not being treated with respect compared to other politicians etc.

Well, I just did a quick Google search of AOC CNN to see if stories from "mainstream" sources refer to her that way, and I got a page full of results. Here is just one: AOC just made Joe Biden's day worse - CNNPolitics

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No offense to AOC but just saying AOC you almost laugh every time.. bless her heart. I heard what she said and never took it as "go out and blow things up". Make it happen but blowing it up with all that mail what ever where its so much they a swamped.

• Agree
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, I just did a quick Google search of AOC CNN to see if stories from "mainstream" sources refer to her that way, and I got a page full of results. Here is just one: AOC just made Joe Biden's day worse - CNNPolitics

I agree and use it. My avoidance was based on something I read earlier in terms of service (Which look to me like they have been revised with the cite, because certain areas that you could click on before like Board rules are now empty!).

Anyway I recall under nick names and talking of politicians is using her abbreviation as an example. I cannot find that any where now, but I know it is something that was definitely there, because I was bummed to read it at the time knowing it would make a little more work if ever talked about her. But maybe they changed that, like raising the speed limit on those long straight California highways from 55 to something closer that most Californians actually drive.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree and use it. My avoidance was based on something I read earlier in terms of service (Which look to me like they have been revised with the cite, because certain areas that you could click on before like Board rules are now empty!).

Anyway I recall under nick names and talking of politicians is using her abbreviation as an example. I cannot find that any where now, but I know it is something that was definitely there, because I was bummed to read it at the time knowing it would make a little more work if ever talked about her. But maybe they changed that, like raising the speed limit on those long straight California highways from 55 to something closer that most Californians actually drive.

Was this it?
" Offensive derogatory nicknames and egregious inflammatory comments about public figures may be considered goading."

I doubt "AOC" is considered derogatory since it's used by everyone already. Not really different from saying, "George W." instead of President George W. Bush, or even just using the last name, like "Trump".

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
urged her followers to "Blow Up the Official Offices". A responder in that thread was talking about Trumps "fight like hell comment" about urging violence and not being idiomatic. Something I know is wrong because there are minutes maybe hours of Democratic politicians using the same language in adds, speeches etc.

But will add to that, I got questions about her relevant life experience before being in office, and if she is purely is a puppet of some Democratic strategist team of Cenk Uyugr fan wonks that write all her positions and speeches. I will also add, when it comes to issues like this I'm use to a "how dare you response" claiming sexism, racism etc. things that never are used when it comes to conservative people when they face obvious denigration.

Respect is earned, not immediate and you don't get it automatically just because you give a positive face to imagery that isn't nearly so subtle. Would also need major context for this tweet in regards to "blowing up the official offices" as if that cannot be used in a nonviolent call to action.

Trump passing the buck doesn't work when we have demonstrable evidence he was in the minds of people as regards their motivation, he can't deflect responsibility for something that is barely distinct from me going into a crowded theater and saying, "Someone planted a bomb, everyone run!" and then defending myself by saying, "I didn't know someone would get trampled to death,"

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
If we're going to just "give the benefit of the doubt" here, then we fall prey to the paradox of tolerance and just think that everything is acceptable and thus there's no barriers to behavior whatsoever from elected officials that we expect BETTER of

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Rep. Steve Scalis not Ron Paul

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I think this might be an issue of a younger person talking to other younger people in their own common parlance.

It is often the case that older people do not grasp the meaning of the younger generations.

• Agree
Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think this might be an issue of a younger person talking to other younger people in their own common parlance.

It is often the case that older people do not grasp the meaning of the younger generations.
Weird I just was looking up the Captain America "understanding" the Wizard of Oz reference made in Avengers. Seems fitting

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Weird I just was looking up the Captain America "understanding" the Wizard of Oz reference made in Avengers. Seems fitting
I understood that reference.

:)

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Yep - I'm the same age as AOC, and there was never any question as to her meaning. It's a common expression within my generation, and the tone and visual context of the video make it clear that she's not talking about violence.

Upvote 0