Sarah Palin teases [ETA: files to] run for Congress to fill House seat left open by late Don Young

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

Gov. Mike Dunleavy (R) told reporters Tuesday he will sign a proclamation declaring Young’s seat vacant and ordering a new election as soon as Wednesday, setting a special all-party primary election to be held June 11.

Candidates seeking to replace Young, who served as Alaska’s lone member of the House of Representatives for 49 years, must file for office by April 1.

Young, the longest-serving member of Congress, died Friday [3/18] on board a flight between Los Angeles and Seattle as he made his way home. During his long career in Washington, he served stints as chairman of the House Transportation Committee and the House Resources Committee.

He will lie in state at the U.S. Capitol next Tuesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Monday.

[nolink]
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) announced [as hislegacy notes, the actual quote has an if-then statement] that she is running for the U.S. House from the state of Alaska

“We got nothing to lose and no more of this vanilla milquetoast namby-pamby [cowardly grabbable object] stuff that’s been going on , that’s why our country is in the mess that we’re in.”

Last edited:

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
LINK

Gov. Mike Dunleavy (R) told reporters Tuesday he will sign a proclamation declaring Young’s seat vacant and ordering a new election as soon as Wednesday, setting a special all-party primary election to be held June 11.

Candidates seeking to replace Young, who served as Alaska’s lone member of the House of Representatives for 49 years, must file for office by April 1.

Young, the longest-serving member of Congress, died Friday [3/18] on board a flight between Los Angeles and Seattle as he made his way home. During his long career in Washington, he served stints as chairman of the House Transportation Committee and the House Resources Committee.

He will lie in state at the U.S. Capitol next Tuesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Monday.

[nolink]
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) announced that she is running for the U.S. House from the state of Alaska

“We got nothing to lose and no more of this vanilla milquetoast namby-pamby [cowardly grabbable object] stuff that’s been going on , that’s why our country is in the mess that we’re in.”

Congress already has enough clowns.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, the two-year term of a Congressman is just short enough that Palin should likely be able to complete her term, if elected. ;)

In this case, 5 months remain on the term after the August special election.

This will be an interesting election from a technical perspective. The primary (in June) will be a "blanket primary" with the top 4 advancing to the special election which will be decided using instant run-off voting.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LINK

The link goes on to who has declared they are running:

Young’s death throws open the biggest free-for-all in Alaska politics in a generation, as candidates from across the political spectrum jockey for a rare chance to move to Washington.

Already, technology executive Nick Begich (R), the grandson of the man Young replaced in Congress half a century ago, has said he will run. Former Dillingham City Manager Gregg Brelsford (R) and Anchorage Assemblyman Chris Constant (D) have announced campaigns. Al Gross, who ran an independent campaign for U.S. Senate in 2020, will also run.​

The reader will note that Sarah Palin is not mentioned

[nolink]
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) announced that she is running for the U.S. House from the state of Alaska

no link - means no proof.

Here is where she was asked about it:

Palin has not spoken with Alaska media about a potential candidacy. But she teased the idea for a second time on a Thursday appearance on Fox News with Sean Hannity.

“There is a time and a season for everything. And if this season is one where I need a more official platform to have, then yeah, I’m going to throw my hat in the ring,” she said.
That is where the "milquetoast" quote is mentioned, but no mention of her actually running. Perhaps that is why there was no link - perhaps not.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
no link - means no proof.

Here is where she was asked about it:

Palin has not spoken with Alaska media about a potential candidacy. But she teased the idea for a second time on a Thursday appearance on Fox News with Sean Hannity.

“There is a time and a season for everything. And if this season is one where I need a more official platform to have, then yeah, I’m going to throw my hat in the ring,” she said.​
Thread title adjusted

• Friendly
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
6143d8cb20341a0ea145f47f8f18c09a.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I see her vocabulary hasn't changed much....

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if I got that email. Somehow my email got picked up by some right wing sources. It helps me keep me in touch with what is going on deep in the bowels (and I mean that more literally than I wish) of the Republican party. There constant begging and claims that my donations will be matched by a factor six or recently even ten give me a chuckle.

By the way, I can guarantee that all of my donations have been matched by 6, 10, 1,000 times what I contributed. Each and every time:D

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I wonder if I got that email. Somehow my email got picked up by some right wing sources.

I signed up to keep an eye on them, too. And to GETTR, which is where I get my Trump announcements like this one. (Do not join GETTR unless you have a strong stomach.)

begging and claims that my donations will be matched by a factor six or recently even ten give me a chuckle.

Me too. I wonder if people realize this means some billionaire plunked down a huge amount of money. And that whatever grassroots donation they want to make, this billionaire has already outbid you 10 times over along with everyone else.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"We've got 50 names that Alaskans will have the opportunity to choose from," Sen. Lisa Murkowski, the state's senior senator, who has long had a frosty relationship with Palin, told CNN in Washington. "A lot of really good qualified individuals that nobody else is talking about back here. Back home, they are. So this is your own kind of bubble. I'm just telling you: You are not in Alaska's bubble, because Alaskans are talking about the others."

When was the last time Murkowski saw Palin in Alaska?

"That is a really hard question," Murkowski said. "Because it's been years."

[Palin's entry] reopens old wounds with some Republican critics, who were eager to see the mercurial politician stay away for good after she abruptly resigned as Alaska's governor in 2009.

• Informative
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Palin leads an early poll.

The survey [carried out by an outfit with a distant? connection to Begich's campaign] asked questions of 955 likely 2022 primary voters, such as: “Of several possible candidates in the 2022 election for Congress, if the election were held today, for whom would you vote?” The response was:

• Sarah Palin: 31%
  • Al Gross: 26%
  • Nick Begich: 21%
  • Christopher Constant: 7%
  • Josh Revak: 3%
  • Tara Sweeney: 2%
  • Another candidate not listed: 4%
  • Undecided: 6%

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Sarah Palin takes early lead in crowded House race in Alaska

Voting in Alaska’s special primary election to replace the late Rep. Don Young (R) closed Saturday as four dozen candidates — including former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin — faced under unusual new rules.

The first batch of results released late Saturday showed her with just under 30 percent of votes [and 54 percent of the votes counted]. Alaska is not expected to release further vote totals until June 15.

The late Saturday release of partial results showed Begich [endorsed by the Alaska GOP] with 19.3 percent, the second highest vote percentage.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh well.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...feats-sarah-palin-in-alaska-special-election/
Former Alaska state Rep. Mary Peltola (D) was projected to defeat former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) to win the special election to fill the remainder of the late Rep. Don Young’s (R-Alaska) term in the House, a stunning upset that makes her the first Alaska Native in Congress.

Peltola, a Yup’ik Eskimo, will also be the first Democrat to hold the seat in decades. The last time a member of her party was was elected to represent the state’s at-large congressional district was in 1971.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0