"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,016.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This one friend I have tends to laugh when I tell her stuff that is serious and important to me. I've called her out on it and she says she's just trying to keep things light by laughing. But it hurts my feelings. Though I've expressed that, I keep getting the same response. And then I tend to get quiet because I feel bad, which my friend doesn't like when I am that way and tells me so... I am wondering is this a form of being controlling? How can I get this person to understand how hurtful these actions are when I've brought it up multiple times? I myself actually used to be that way in high school... But when I realized how angry and hurt that I had made one of my friends by my actions, I had to change them. That was a long time ago and I no longer have that friendship. But u remember the lesson I learned. Am I being unreasonable? I am really hurt.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This one friend I have tends to laugh when I tell her stuff that is serious and important to me. I've called her out on it and she says she's just trying to keep things light by laughing. But it hurts my feelings. Though I've expressed that, I keep getting the same response. And then I tend to get quiet because I feel bad, which my friend doesn't like when I am that way and tells me so... .

Laughing has many sources of motivation - one of them is that it is a nervous tic for some folks - it is their way of diffusing what is to them is an awkward or uncomfortable moment.

For other people - they only laugh when something is humorous -- you should not try to shoehorn all laughter into the one square hole of "some one is thinking something funny just happened".

For example a cough can be for different reasons, a sigh can be for different reasons etc.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2019
North Augusta
✟53,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. I have known people who laughed at inappropriate things. I think it was a reaction, not their intent to harm, but a reaction to something that made them feel uncomfortable. Some laughed at sad things. Others simply when stressed.

As far as being controlled, I think I see what you mean. I'm not sure how much is us giving people control and how much is people taking control. When we are in any type of relationship there is some amount of vulnerability.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This one friend I have tends to laugh when I tell her stuff that is serious and important to me. I've called her out on it and she says she's just trying to keep things light by laughing. But it hurts my feelings. Though I've expressed that, I keep getting the same response. And then I tend to get quiet because I feel bad, which my friend doesn't like when I am that way and tells me so... I am wondering is this a form of being controlling? How can I get this person to understand how hurtful these actions are when I've brought it up multiple times? I myself actually used to be that way in high school... But when I realized how angry and hurt that I had made one of my friends by my actions, I had to change them. That was a long time ago and I no longer have that friendship. But u remember the lesson I learned. Am I being unreasonable? I am really hurt.
Your not going to change a laughing response. It is a coping mechanism under extream stress. I do hope you give your friend a break on this one.
Nervous Laughter: Causes, Psychology, Tips, and More
Why We Laugh at the Most Inappropriate Times and What It Says About Us
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,647,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a condition abbreviated PBA.

Pseudobulbar affect (PBA) is a condition that's characterized by episodes of sudden uncontrollable and inappropriate laughing or crying. Pseudobulbar affect typically occurs in people with certain neurological conditions or injuries, which might affect the way the brain controls emotion.

Pseudobulbar affect - Symptoms and causes

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟559,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes if people are nervous or afraid, they may laugh. I recall a courtroom scene where a defendant was being sentenced by the judge, and the guilty person smiled and chuckled. Of course this angered the judge. It was later pointed out that this was the case. The kid was just afraid and up tight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

harry rotter

Sep 27, 2022
Parnu
✟1,995.00
Country
Estonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This one friend I have tends to laugh when I tell her stuff that is serious and important to me. I've called her out on it and she says she's just trying to keep things light by laughing. But it hurts my feelings.
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
Romans 12:15.
And a verse in Synodal Bible (book of Sirach) says that you have to guard own heart, and you have to test your people before calling them friends.

Upvote 0