In June, Trump moved the POW/MIA flag from the top of the White House to a less prominent spot

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A decision by the Trump administration earlier this year to move the flag honoring missing war veterans from a prominent position atop the White House to a less visible spot on the South Lawn has angered some veterans and lawmakers, who see it as disrespectful and potentially illegal.

The flag is dedicated to prisoners of war and service members who are missing in action. According to a White House video posted in June, it was relocated in a private ceremony with full military honors, months after President Donald Trump signed into law a bill requiring the flag to be flown at certain federal properties including the White House every day.

“It’s bad enough that President Trump publicly ridicules American heroes like Senator McCain and others who were captured on the battlefield. He inexplicably promotes the Confederate flag but fails to fly the POW/MIA flag,” said Democratic Senator Jack Reed, a co-sponsor of the bill. “It’s part of a pattern of disrespect by President Trump toward those who honorably served our nation.”

Reed, and fellow Democratic Senators Elizabeth Warren and Margaret Hassan, who also co-sponsored the bill, sent a letter to the White House on Thursday requesting that it reconsider the flag’s relocation.

“This decision to abruptly move the POW/MIA Flag from atop the White House to an area that is apparently not visible to the public may violate federal law and does not appropriately honor the service and sacrifices of American prisoners of war, missing servicemembers, and their families,” the letter reads.

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A decision by the Trump administration earlier this year to move the flag honoring missing war veterans from a prominent position atop the White House to a less visible spot on the South Lawn has angered some veterans and lawmakers, who see it as disrespectful and potentially illegal.

The flag is dedicated to prisoners of war and service members who are missing in action. According to a White House video posted in June, it was relocated in a private ceremony with full military honors, months after President Donald Trump signed into law a bill requiring the flag to be flown at certain federal properties including the White House every day.

“It’s bad enough that President Trump publicly ridicules American heroes like Senator McCain and others who were captured on the battlefield. He inexplicably promotes the Confederate flag but fails to fly the POW/MIA flag,” said Democratic Senator Jack Reed, a co-sponsor of the bill. “It’s part of a pattern of disrespect by President Trump toward those who honorably served our nation.”

Reed, and fellow Democratic Senators Elizabeth Warren and Margaret Hassan, who also co-sponsored the bill, sent a letter to the White House on Thursday requesting that it reconsider the flag’s relocation.

“This decision to abruptly move the POW/MIA Flag from atop the White House to an area that is apparently not visible to the public may violate federal law and does not appropriately honor the service and sacrifices of American prisoners of war, missing servicemembers, and their families,” the letter reads.

What you and the fake news has failed to mention is that the American Legion has praised the President for his work in creating a permanent memorial for this flag on the grounds of the White House.

The flag is flying in this memorial with a statue remembering the pow/mia sacrifice for this country.

• Winner
Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
What you and the fake news has failed to mention is that the American Legion has praised the President for his work in creating a permanent memorial for this flag on the grounds of the White House.

While I did not quote that part, it is in the Reuters article. As was this:

The American Ex-Prisoners of War group, which represents 10,000 former POWs and their families, said it was outraged last month when it learned of the move, calling it a “slap in the face.”

“While he touts his support for the U.S. Armed Forces and their families, actions speak louder than words. And this action speaks of disdain for Prisoners of War and the Missing in Action,” the group said.
But its relocation prompted inquiries from veterans advocates, including Artie Muller, founder and executive director of Rolling Thunder, who said he “wasn’t too happy” when he learned of the change.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“President Trump dedicated a POW/MIA memorial site earlier this year on the White House grounds to forever remember our heroic service members who were prisoners of war or missing in action,” White House spokesman Judd Deere told Reuters. “The president selected a site on the Southwest corner of the South Lawn for this prominent and sacred memorial, which is visible to all those who visit the White House, that features the POW/MIA flag.”

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

The flag is flying in this memorial with a statue remembering the pow/mia sacrifice for this country.

Ah, the American Legion. Didn’t they support Fascism and Mussolini? Makes perfect sense, getting back to the roots.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Ah, the American Legion. Didn’t they support Fascism and Mussolini? Makes perfect sense, getting back to the roots.

Some of them risked their lives and many gave their lives to defeat Fascism and Mussolini.

I'm a member of the A.L., I don't know a single member who supports fascism. Maybe you can tell me who they are?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a member of the A.L., I don't know a single member who supports fascism. Maybe you can tell me who they are?
Donald Trump desires to head a fascist government based on his behavior in office.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Some of them risked their lives and many gave their lives to defeat Fascism and Mussolini.

Their support for Fascism was before the Japanese made it clear what side we were going to fight on.

Upvote 0

Nokomis

Aug 17, 2020
Arkansas
✟15,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Donald Trump desires to head a fascist government based on his behavior in office.

November can’t come soon enough for me. I can’t express enough how much I hope Joe Biden wins the election. That being said, I can’t help but envision seeing Donald Trump being led out in handcuffs by the Secret Service because he refused to vacate the White House after losing the election. I hope I’m wrong, but I honestly think that he’ll incite a public uproar with his supporters and even call them to arms. If he’s true to his nature, he won’t go quietly and the transfer of power to Joe Biden will have to be forced by the Supreme Court and the Secret Service (and/or other law enforcement agencies).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Lol... Do you work for CNN? Because you are obviously a talented spinner. You should try out for figure skating.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you have mistaken law and order for fascist government.

Maybe they are the same to you?
The fascists start as “law and order” to get a foot in the door. Then they move to ignoring constitutional laws and precedents and President for Life, etc. The “order” becomes the “law”.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The fascists start as “law and order” to get a foot in the door. Then they move to ignoring constitutional laws and precedents and President for Life, etc. The “order” becomes the “law”.

Radical left groups are killing law enforcement officers burning down and looting in the major cities across America, and you want to lecture me on a law and order President who seems to you a bit fascist?

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Radical left groups are killing law enforcement officers burning down and looting in the major cities across America, and you want to lecture me on a law and order President who seems to you a bit fascist?
A+ for hyperbole. Well done.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
POW/MIA flag returns atop the White House

The POW/MIA flag was once again flying atop the White House Friday morning after it was moved to another location on the White House grounds in the final months of the Trump administration.

Friday marks National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day.

[Near the end of the Trump Administration] the flag was moved to another location on the White House grounds, according to a video posted last June, prompting frustration from some veterans groups and lawmakers.

Shortly after President Joe Biden took office in January, a group of bipartisan lawmakers -- Democratic Sens. Maggie Hassan and Elizabeth Warren and Republican Sen. Tom Cotton -- urged the President to return the flag to the top of the White House.

Upvote 0