Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In guns we trust, in technology we trust, in the military we trust, in money and power we trust, but in God we don’t really trust at all. When trouble is at the door Christians are the first to stockpile guns, ammo, and food, and then they sit in their little groups and talk about love, peace, and charity. Is this hypocrisy!!?

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In guns we trust, in technology we trust, in the military we trust, in money and power we trust, but in God we don’t really trust at all. When trouble is at the door Christians are the first to stockpile guns, ammo, and food, and then they sit in their little groups and talk about love, peace, and charity. Is this hypocrisy!!?
No no , many people trust in God aswell , the God of this world which is Satan so they aren't actually being hypocrites .

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you lock your door? Why or why not?

Yes, and I take aspirin for headaches and see a doctor once in a while, and I have been healed miraculously also. In none of these things was I in disobedience to God.

True peacemakers – Christians – do not put their trust in an arm of flesh, i.e. attempts and alliances for self-preservation. God has promised to care for them, and in Him they trust as the Bible states – “Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit saith the Lord.” They do not simply profess to believe that God will protect them from suffering, but that He is really able to do so, if it is His will; and if it is not His will then man cannot prevent it. If God wills it, He has a purpose in it, and we should pray to the Lord that His purpose may be accomplished in us, and that we may be made worthy to suffer for His name and not to do anything impulsive whereby God may be dishonored. Mindful Christians know that “the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong;” they glory neither in their wisdom, in their might, nor in their riches; but they glory in this, that they know the Lord, who exercises loving kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. Their life, liberty, and worldly goods are in the hands of the Lord; He gave them and He has many ways by which to take them away again. Christian concern is not so much how they may preserve these, as it is to preserve the life that is begotten in the soul by the power of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God. Christians look upon the upheavals in the world as being in the hand of the Lord, who controls them according to His good pleasure. The interest they might take in those events, or the ineffectual efforts they make to control them can have no effect except the effect it will have on their own hearts, to draw their minds and affections away from the more important objects of love and trust, as the Bible states.

• Winner
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God often uses secondary causes to achieve His will. That includes His defending me by allowing me to acquire a firearm and the skill set to use it.

He even commands similar actions on the part of the original disciples. Luke 22:36 Then he said to them, “But now, whoever has a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet. Whoever has none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword."

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, and I take aspirin for headaches and see a doctor once in a while, and I have been healed miraculously also. In none of these things was I in disobedience to God.
Then what would be the problem with procuring a gun, ammunition, and food?

Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
do you believe it to be wrong for believers to call the police if someone breaks into someone's home?
Of course not. But remember the old saying, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." :)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

True peacemakers – Christians – do not put their trust in an arm of flesh, i.e. attempts and alliances for self-preservation. God has promised to care for them, and in Him they trust as the Bible states – “Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit saith the Lord.” They do not simply profess to believe that God will protect them from suffering, but that He is really able to do so, if it is His will; and if it is not His will then man cannot prevent it. If God wills it, He has a purpose in it, and we should pray to the Lord that His purpose may be accomplished in us, and that we may be made worthy to suffer for His name and not to do anything impulsive whereby God may be dishonored. Mindful Christians know that “the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong;” they glory neither in their wisdom, in their might, nor in their riches; but they glory in this, that they know the Lord, who exercises loving kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. Their life, liberty, and worldly goods are in the hands of the Lord; He gave them and He has many ways by which to take them away again. Christian concern is not so much how they may preserve these, as it is to preserve the life that is begotten in the soul by the power of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God. Christians look upon the upheavals in the world as being in the hand of the Lord, who controls them according to His good pleasure. The interest they might take in those events, or the ineffectual efforts they make to control them can have no effect except the effect it will have on their own hearts, to draw their minds and affections away from the more important objects of love and trust, as the Bible states.

Why do you lock your door?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think it's hypocritical to defend those you care about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I believe in the KOA principle of life.

K = Knowledge - if we know of a need . . .
O = Opportunity - if we have the opportunity to meet the need . .
A = Ability - if we have the ability to meet the need . . .

Then we have the responsibility to meet the need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God often uses secondary causes to achieve His will. That includes His defending me by allowing me to acquire a firearm and the skill set to use it.

He even commands similar actions on the part of the original disciples. Luke 22:36 Then he said to them, “But now, whoever has a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet. Whoever has none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword."

The reason Jesus gave this order is revealed in the same verses if the complete passage is read. He said that "All prophecy must be fulfilled in Me." What was that prophecy? He reveals that also, that He was to be associated and accounted with criminals. When His disciples told Him that they had two swords Jesus said: "That is enough." In the very next verses, we see Peter attacking the High Priest's servant and cutting off his ear, prophecy fulfilled. Christ has given a direct order to "turn the other cheek", and to "Overcome evil with good." His own example was to allow Himself to be crucified and from the cross, he forgave His enemies and commanded us to do the same. There is no "secondary causes" escape route, and to state that Christ is defending you by allowing you to kill your enemy when He commands you to do just the opposite is one of the worst cases of Scripture twisting I have heard recently. I don't mean to be disrespectful but please don't use that excuse at the judgment seat.

• Winner
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The interest they might take in those events, or the ineffectual efforts they make to control them can have no effect except the effect it will have on their own hearts, to draw their minds and affections away from the more important objects of love and trust, as the Bible states.
So, if a criminal broke into your home and threatened to rape and murder your wife and daughter you would consider it a sin to call the police?

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree.

In addition, it's an egregious sin not to.
Let's look at it from a different perspective. Can God use me and my skill set to protect one of his children whose life is in immanent danger? I think so. :)

Please use Scripture to support your theory. Unless your skillset is loving and doing God's will nothing else matters.

Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Please use Scripture to support your theory. Unless your skillset is loving and doing God's will nothing else matters.
I did. You dismissed it as irrelevant.

Do your wife and daughter know you would not protect them from a rapist and murderer?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The reason Jesus gave this order is revealed in the same verses if the complete passage is read. He said that "All prophecy must be fulfilled in Me." What was that prophecy? He reveals that also, that He was to be associated and accounted with criminals. When His disciples told Him that they had two swords Jesus said: "That is enough." In the very next verses, we see Peter attacking the High Priest's servant and cutting off his ear, prophecy fulfilled. Christ has given a direct order to "turn the other cheek", and to "Overcome evil with good." His own example was to allow Himself to be crucified and from the cross, he forgave His enemies and commanded us to do the same. There is no "secondary causes" escape route, and to state that Christ is defending you by allowing you to kill your enemy when He commands you to do just the opposite is one of the worst cases of Scripture twisting I have heard recently. I don't mean to be disrespectful but please don't use that excuse at the judgment seat.

He was crucified because He was/is the Savior, the holy Lamb of God.

We are not.

We are admonished to be as wise as serpents and harmless as doves. We are also admonished to live at peace, as much as is possible.

We are also granted wisdom, discernment, and clarity to assess with wisdom any given situation, and to maintain peace. And sometimes the maintaining of peace is in removing a weapon from someone who means harm, and to, if necessary, shoot them in order to stop bloodshed or harm.

The bottom line is, is doing any of the above, a "sin"?

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then what would be the problem with procuring a gun, ammunition, and food?

Because we have been specifically commanded to "turn the other cheek" and to "overcome evil with good."
When Christ stood before Pilate and was asked if He was a King Christ said, "If My kingdom was of this world then would my disciples fight to free Me, but My kingdom is not of this world." And, we are told another place that, "The weapons of our warfare are not carnal but spiritual."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.