catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He/she/they don't care about your feelings? Say it isn't so!

I was actually talking about the prevalence of the apostrophe, which appears whenever unwritten language is written down. The French must've been the first lazy-writers... ever.
At first I thought you might mean the next stage of laziness (or efficiency): after enough further time, next will come leaving out that same apostrophe eventually. So that some day perhaps (unless computer spelling correction prevents it), the spelling y'all would eventually become yall.

Perhaps that's will become thats, this article suggests:

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
At first I thought you might mean the next stage of laziness (or efficiency): after enough further time, next will come leaving out that same apostrophe eventually. So that some day perhaps (unless computer spelling correction prevents it), the spelling y'all would eventually become yall.

Perhaps that's will become thats, this article suggests:
French requires that a vowel be followed by a consonant in successive words... And that rule is what makes French so beautiful... Je te aime becomes Je t'aime... the pronunciation just flows off the tongue.

But y'all becoming yall would change the pronunciation of -a- ... into the -a- in "yaller dog" (yellow dog).

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The absence of a plural form of 'you' is one of the Great Failings of Modern English. Even worse, given the past usage of 'ye', 'thou and 'thee', it seems English has actually gone backwards over time. Modern 'you' has lost the ability to differentiate between singular and plural or formal from informal. Like other versions of English, Australian English got around the 'you-plural' problem by informally inventing its own versions - 'yous & 'yez' - typically in Australian bogan speech. (a 'bogan' is a 'yobbo' :grinning:)

As an etymological amateur I have long been aware of the (mainly) Southern US solution to you-plurality by using 'you-all' or its cousin 'y'all' in informal usage.

However... as an ardent listener to spoken English (in this case American TV and movie speech) I suspect that 'y'all'/'you all' is', in some US dialects, losing its unique status as a plural form of 'you' and is actually replacing singular 'you'.

As it turns out a couple of Dictionaries also agree with me:

There is significant debate about whether y’all can ever be strictly singular (without implying a larger group, association, or network). Such examples are uncommon and judged as ungrammatical by many speakers who otherwise freely use y’all themselves. In the rare instance of singular y’all, it is best understood as a pragmatic choice to communicate friendly solidarity, or to express group membership as a speaker of Southern American English.
: YOUusually used in addressing two or more person

What appears to be happening is the wholesale replacement of 'you' by 'y'all' in informal (Southern US) speech. This means that 'y'all' is becoming both the singular and plural version of 'you'.

OB

"Yous" exists in certain regions of the US, also, usually parts of the Northeast.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
"Yous" exists in certain regions of the US, also, usually parts of the Northeast.
You can probably thank Irish immigrants for that.

Its common in Ireland, Scotland and parts of Northern England. New Zealanders also do it and (surprisingly?) some South Africans.

'Yous' has my vote as the most widespread (geographically and number of users) version of a plural 'you'.

The interesting question is why it has never become acceptable as a normal part of speech.

OB

• Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0