Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I had a list of recommended movies that I liked that had Jesus in them, and another Bible character, but I have made a decision in my life recently to not promote films that have Jesus in them. I might check it out to see once, but I will pray so as not to think that such an actor is not the real Jesus. The problem today is that some are influenced to pray, and or visualize Jesus as depicted in certain films. Some Christians have even made artistic works of Jesus based on films of Jesus. The problem with this is numerous. It is a form of idolatry in my view.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can watch these Bible story films every once in a blue moon. They are not perfect, but I do find certain scenes within them to be enjoyable (even though there are other scenes or certain things that I was not so wild about).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Here is a list of movies that I like:
Ben Hur (1959)
Amazing Grace (2006)
Apocalypse (Richard Harris, 2000)
Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954)
God's Outlaw (1986)
Gospel of John (2003)
Joseph (1995)
Paul the Apostle (2001)
Peter and Paul (1981)
The Robe (1953)
St. Peter (2005)

The Son of God movie and the Passion have one thing in common...... the spikes through the middle of the hand is not correct they were nailed through his wrists.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did you not like The Passion?

I remember kind of liking it a little bit in the theater, but when I bought it on DVD so as to rewatch it, I found it kind of too slow and boring so as to rewatch again. I could not get past the beginning. The speaking in another language was also distracting and I had even watched a ton of foreign films before and liked them. I just think the acting was poor, and the scenes were flat. I am also not a big fan of Jim Caviezel as an actor, too. He is one of my least favorite actors out there. I also was less picky in my movie watching when it came to Christian films back then, too. I was willing to forgive a lot. I used to like Left Behind, and Fireproof, and now I cannot watch them because they are too cheesy.

There was a film focused on Christ that I liked a lot, but I have decided to no longer promote these kinds of films to others because I do not want to be responsible for leading another into worshiping a false image of Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is a list of movies that I like:
Ben Hur (1959)
Amazing Grace (2006)
Apocalypse (Richard Harris, 2000)
Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954)
God's Outlaw (1986)
Gospel of John (2003)
Joseph (1995)
Paul the Apostle (2001)
Peter and Paul (1981)
The Robe (1953)
St. Peter (2005)

The Son of God movie and the Passion have one thing in common...... the spikes through the middle of the hand is not correct they were nailed through his wrists.

John 20:25 says "hands."

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I remember kind of liking it a little bit in the theater, but when I bought it on DVD so as to rewatch it, I found it kind of too slow and boring so as to rewatch again. I could not get past the beginning. The speaking in another language was also distracting. I am also not a big fan of Jim Caviezel as an actor, too. He is one of my least favorite actors out there. I also was less picky in my movie watching when it came to Christian films back then, too. I was willing to forgive a lot. I used to like Left Behind, and Fireproof, and now I cannot watch them because they are too cheesy.

My favorite movie involving Christ is the movie called: "Risen."
The passion was way overhyped and Gibson thought it would be more accurate to do it in a foreign language. he did another movie in a foreign language and it was not bad but I think finally on the Blu-Ray release (3rd release of the movie on disc) they finally added an English soundtrack but way too late IMO. I watched the movie in the theater and like you I struggled to pay attention and I have the Iconic Special Edition DVD of the movie (paid $2) and it has a separate track for the blind (Descriptive Video Service) that actually tells you what they are saying in the movie (narrating, not dubbed).

I recommend the 3 hour Gospel of John over the Son of God movie any day.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I saw The Passion for the first time a few months ago. Really liked it. The language was great.

I also bought The Son of God at the same time and was going to watch both back 2 back to see which was better but got distracted. I didnt really like how it reviewed other parts of the bible at the start of the movie. Seems to detract from the main story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
John 20:25 says "hands."
The wrist is considered part of the hand at that time. Only the wrists can support a man's weight, through the middle of the "hand" it would tear out through the fingers ripping through the muscles and skin under the heavy weight. You should look up the medical aspecs of crucifixion. Here is a clip of an article from this page:
Medical Aspects of the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ by David Terasaka, M.D.

The procedure of crucifixion may be summarized as follows. The patibulum was put on the ground and the victim laid upon it. Nails, about 7 inches long and with a diameter of 1 cm ( roughly 3/8 of an inch) were driven in the wrists. The points would go into the vicinity of the median nerve, causing shocks of pain to radiate through the arms. It was possible to place the nails between the bones so that no fractures (or broken bones) occurred. Studies have shown that nails were probably driven through the small bones of the wrist, since nails in the palms of the hand would not support the weight of a body. In ancient terminology, the wrist was considered to be part of the hand. (Davis) Standing at the crucifixion sites would be upright posts, called stipes, standing about 7 feet high.(Edwards) In the center of the stipes was a crude seat, called a sedile or sedulum, which served a support for the victim. The patibulum was then lifted on to the stipes. The feet were then nailed to the stipes. To allow for this, the knees had to be bent and rotated laterally, being left in a very uncomfortable position. The titulus was hung above the victim's head.
The Romans made crucifixon the most painful death possible.... it was severe torture.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The wrist is considered part of the hand at that time. Only the wrists can support a man's weight, through the middle of the "hand" it would tear out through the fingers ripping through the muscles and skin under the heavy weight. You should look up the medical aspecs of crucifixion. Here is a clip of an article from this page:
Medical Aspects of the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ by David Terasaka, M.D.

The procedure of crucifixion may be summarized as follows. The patibulum was put on the ground and the victim laid upon it. Nails, about 7 inches long and with a diameter of 1 cm ( roughly 3/8 of an inch) were driven in the wrists. The points would go into the vicinity of the median nerve, causing shocks of pain to radiate through the arms. It was possible to place the nails between the bones so that no fractures (or broken bones) occurred. Studies have shown that nails were probably driven through the small bones of the wrist, since nails in the palms of the hand would not support the weight of a body. In ancient terminology, the wrist was considered to be part of the hand. (Davis) Standing at the crucifixion sites would be upright posts, called stipes, standing about 7 feet high.(Edwards) In the center of the stipes was a crude seat, called a sedile or sedulum, which served a support for the victim. The patibulum was then lifted on to the stipes. The feet were then nailed to the stipes. To allow for this, the knees had to be bent and rotated laterally, being left in a very uncomfortable position. The titulus was hung above the victim's head.
The Romans made crucifixon the most painful death possible.... it was severe torture.

EXPERIMENTAL STUDIES in CRUCIFIXION

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Interesting study but I don't think that he considered the Romans would want as much pain as possible plus the arms had no slack when nailed down dislocation etc happened to people being crucified which is a bit more than 88lbs of pressure on the hands. If it were possible to pull out the nails (tear them) people would try and do so to see if they could escape meaning that even if the hands could hold the weight if it were possible one could tear through it would be done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I do enjoy Christian movies and have collected a lot of them only the ones that I consider anti Christian or rather so messed up that they actually can lead someone to a false Gospel I don't keep around and those like the Russell Crowe Noah movie. I just got through watching Woodlawn and was surprised it was better than I expected and had IMO a better presentation of the Gospel than many movies balancing well with the story.

I haven't seen Rise yet

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Risen is kind of like a Roman hunt to find the dead body of Christ (who is actually risen). I think the casting choice for Jesus was more fitting, because the actor looks like He is from the Middle East.

If you have not seen it already, check out the trailers for my top list of Christian films this CF thread here:

What Christian Movies Do You Find To Be The Most Rewatchable?

I even provide links on where you can instantly rent them, too.

May God bless you.
I will check it out as I'm always looking for interesting movies. I have about 100 Christian movies and Rewatchable is the name of the game when it comes to keeping movies.

Upvote 0