Imminent Health Care Bill Vote, What's Wrong with it?

What's Wrong with the Health Care Bill?

• Democratic Obstruction

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • President Trump for whatever reason

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The majority of Republican politicians still are operating under the delusion that if they do nothing (except possibly making concessions to the Democrats in the name of "bipartisanship") for four years, they'll be sure to win in a landslide in the 2020 presidential election.

The contempt that they must have for their voters is astounding.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The majority of Republican politicians still are operating under the delusion that if they do nothing (except possibly making concessions to the Democrats in the name of "bipartisanship") for four years, they'll be sure to win in a landslide in the 2020 presidential election.

The contempt that they must have for their voters is astounding.
I just noticed the poll shows 83% blame the GOP agenda. Pretty obvious they are going at this with a lot of partisan rhetoric and ulterior motives.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I just noticed the poll shows 83% blame the GOP agenda. Pretty obvious they are going at this with a lot of partisan rhetoric and ulterior motives.

Because the political forums here are well known to be a representative sample of the US electorate...

That's why, for instance, on election night we had so many threads telling us that President Trump was going to win the election.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Because the political forums here are well known to be a representative sample of the US electorate...

That's why, for instance, on election night we had so many threads telling us that President Trump was going to win the election.
That election night was miserable, Honestly was months before I even wanted to talk about it. I think I knew he was going to win and I was bracing for the worst. It turns out that he is so mired in scandal and ineptitude he was a lame duck four months into the Presidency. I'm just crossing my fingers this Health Care Bill doesn't pass, that would be a shot in the arm.

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That election night was miserable, Honestly was months before I even wanted to talk about it. I think I knew he was going to win and I was bracing for the worst. It turns out that he is so mired in scandal and ineptitude he was a lame duck four months into the Presidency. I'm just crossing my fingers this Health Care Bill doesn't pass, that would be a shot in the arm.

If you only determined that you knew he was going to win after he already won, then I'll trust all of your other political predictions accordingly: only after they are already true.

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think I knew he was going to win
I didn't. I have never been so wrong about anything in my life.

I watched the most qualified Presidential candidate in American history concede the election to a fool. And that was miserable. But I'm not angry at Republican voters, because they VOTED. They voted because they care about their country and they take democracy seriously. Unlike the purity trolls on the left.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you only determined that you knew he was going to win after he already won, then I'll trust all of your other political predictions accordingly: only after they are already true.
I was looking at Ohio and it wasn't looking good, I knew Clinton was going to poll higher but the way districts are set up I figured the electoral college was a toss up. He also had strong support in Florida, which had my nerves frayed. It wasn't a prediction, it was an apprehension fully realized on election night.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I watched the most qualified Presidential candidate in American history concede the election to a fool.

I will agree that if we take the overall state of the government as our guide, corruption and scandals are a great metric to use to determine who is most qualified to be president.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't. I have never been so wrong about anything in my life.

I watched the most qualified Presidential candidate in American history concede the election to a fool. And that was miserable. But I'm not angry at Republican voters, because they VOTED. They voted because they care about their country and they take democracy seriously. Unlike the purity trolls on the left.
I loved what Clinton was prepared to do with the economy, it would have been awesome I'm sure. She played too hard to her base and when she made her deplorables statement I cringed. I think the Democrats need to be more grass roots and less party status quo. A great victory for him, gotta hand it to him, but he has done diddly squat since. His ego is the albatross around his neck, he may well be the only one in his administration to survive it's demise. Then he can tell the rhyme of the demagogue candidate, over a bottle of cheap wine, while I'm trying not to weep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hope they vote this bill through, it will kill so many humans. I'm really giddy, guys.

What's your opinion on laws that legalize abortion?

A truly tragic number of humans die that way every year.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What's your opinion on laws that legalize abortion?

A truly tragic number of humans die that way every year.
As far as I know, it's against the rules to discuss abortions on this forum.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As far as I know, it's against the rules to discuss abortions on this forum.

It's fine as long as you don't encourage people to go against God's teaching on the matter.

Here's the specific rule you're thinking of:

• Abortion, adultery, premarital sex, and marijuana use may be discussed, but encouraging participation in these activities is not allowed. Illegal activities may not be encouraged or promoted*.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's fine as long as you don't encourage people to go against God's teaching on the matter.
I think I'd describe my position on abortion as "pro-space".

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"I voted for the motion to proceed to allow debate to continue and amendments to be offered. I will not vote for the bill as it is today. It's a shell of a bill right now. We all know that. I have changes urged by my state's governor that will have to be included to earn my support for final passage of any bill. I know many of you will have to see the bill changed substantially for you to support it.

"We've tried to do this by coming up with a proposal behind closed doors in consultation with the administration, then springing it on skeptical members, trying to convince them it's better than nothing, asking us to swallow our doubts and force it past a unified opposition. I don't think that is going to work in the end. And it probably shouldn't."
-Sen. McCain

Watch: Sen. McCain Calls For Compromise In Return To Senate Floor

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For healthcare? Yes.

The capitalist ideal of a "free market" is a failure when it comes to healthcare.

Completely agree. Any country worth their salt and with any empathy, should have adequate healthcare for all.

In the US, we pay for a serial killers attorney and all the legal costs of years of appeals, but when it comes to healthcare......................................

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"I voted for the motion to proceed to allow debate to continue and amendments to be offered. I will not vote for the bill as it is today. It's a shell of a bill right now. We all know that. I have changes urged by my state's governor that will have to be included to earn my support for final passage of any bill. I know many of you will have to see the bill changed substantially for you to support it.

"We've tried to do this by coming up with a proposal behind closed doors in consultation with the administration, then springing it on skeptical members, trying to convince them it's better than nothing, asking us to swallow our doubts and force it past a unified opposition. I don't think that is going to work in the end. And it probably shouldn't."
-Sen. McCain

Watch: Sen. McCain Calls For Compromise In Return To Senate Floor

I think McCain knows he will likely be forced to resign in the near future and he is going to go out, with all guns blazing.

Good for him!!

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Looks like the Better Care Reconciliation Act has taken a backwards step in the Senate, going down 43-57 in a vote:

First GOP health care bill fails, with many more votes to come

Seems like nine Republican senators voted against it: Mike Lee, Susan Collins, Bob Corker, Lindsey Graham, Rand Paul, Dean Heller, Jerry Moran, Lisa Murkowski, Tom Cotton.

Meanwhile, the House voted 419-3 to introduce new sanctions on Russia, Iran and North Korea. So, it looks like Republicans and Democrats CAN work together, at least on international issues.

Upvote 0