Imminent Health Care Bill Vote, What's Wrong with it?

What's Wrong with the Health Care Bill?

• Democratic Obstruction

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • President Trump for whatever reason

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

"For last seven years Republicans have been united in standing up for Obamacare's victims. They kept saying it over and over again, every Republican running for office promised immediate relief," says Mr. Trump. H adds, "We, as a party, must fulfill that promise to repeal and replace, what they've been saying for the past 7 years."

"So far Senate Republicans have not done their job in ending the Obama nightmare," Mr. Trump warned. He adds that there has also been "no help" from Democrats and instead are being "obstructionists." (Trump delivers health care remarks at White House, CBS News)
Trump promised it to and did diddly squat to make it happen. Al Franken makes an elegant argument that the ACA is not failing and the GOP motives and methods are antithetical to reforming (repeal/replace or whatever) is a disaster.

No public hearing on the Health Care because the Speaker of the House objected to every single motion for one. The bill seems doomed, thank God, but obviously I'm a little biased. Let's talk about the upcoming vote and the issues.

Your thoughts...

Grace and peace,
Mark

• Winner
Reactions: RogerRoger

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Government should not be running health insurance. Regulations are one thing, Taking it over is another.
So you are ok with the unfunded tax cuts for the rich and cuts in Medicaid to pay for it? You say they don't belong in it, doesn't change the fact that they are in it up to their necks.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So you are ok with the unfunded tax cuts for the rich and cuts in Medicaid to pay for it? You say they don't belong in it, doesn't chase the fact that they are in it up to their necks.
Well, it's not a tax cut, it's a discount in the rate they pay. "Tax cut" makes it sound like it's the government's money that the 'rich' are just using. And why, do you think, should the rich fund the health care of the poor? We call that "charity" and it needs to be freely given, not mandated.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, it's not a tax cut, it's a discount in the rate they pay. "Tax cut" makes it sound like it's the government's money that the 'rich' are just using. And why, do you think, should the rich fund the health care of the poor? We call that "charity" and it needs to be freely given, not mandated.
Al Franken would disagree:

This is nothing more than a thinly disguised attempt to gift billions of dollars in tax breaks to the very richest few Americans by dismantling our health care system, fundamentally destroying Medicaid as we know it, and making life harder and more expensive for millions and millions of Americans. (Al Franken)
It walks like a tax cut, it talks like a tax cut, it's a tax cut.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Al Franken would disagree:

This is nothing more than a thinly disguised attempt to gift billions of dollars in tax breaks to the very richest few Americans by dismantling our health care system, fundamentally destroying Medicaid as we know it, and making life harder and more expensive for millions and millions of Americans. (Al Franken)
It walks like a tax cut, it talks like a tax cut, it's a tax cut.
You mean the person who's not even a very good comedian? I don't think I'm required to listen to what he says.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You mean the person who's not even a very good comedian? I don't think I'm required to listen to what he says.
Your not responsible to respond to anything, he just happens to be right. He also makes a substantive and detailed argument for how GOP policy and agendas over Heath Care have failed and why. What is more he refutes the GOP rhetoric that ACA has failed.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

You're right, it's not a tax cut. It's a tax increase. If we lower revenue while in deficit spending and borrow to cover the difference we pay back more in taxes later.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your not responsible to respond to anything, he just happens to be right. He also makes a substantive and detailed argument for how GOP policy and agendas over Heath Care have failed and why. What is more he refutes the GOP rhetoric that ACA has failed.
And I disagree that he's right. Most people on ACA cannot afford to see a doctor because of the deductibles.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You're right, it's not a tax cut. It's a tax increase. If we lower revenue while in deficit spending and borrow to cover the difference we pay back more in taxes later.
That's not true. Lowering taxes does not lower revenue. Ask John Kennedy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tax increase for the nation.
Tax decrease for those being taxed at a higher rate now.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And I disagree that he's right. Most people on ACA cannot afford to see a doctor because of the deductibles.
I don't disagree as to the problem, I had to have an operation about a year and a half ago. My health care provided from my employer wanted a 20% copay for an operation that was going to cost a lot. As luck would have it I was covered because of my military service. They wanted thousands of dollars I didn't have and the recovery, because I couldn't work, nearly took me under.

That's the problem, what we are talking about is the solution. The GOP and Trump is not going to deliver. The actual question is what's wrong with the bill, not what's wrong with health care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How does that work?
Voodoo economics. Bush didn't kill the chickens right so it didn't work last time but this time!

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's complain about prices and defend a for-profit system.
I don't know why the Federal Government doesn't just buy stock and appoint a chairman for the main insurance companies.

Upvote 0