Imam leads Democrats in prayer of conversion @ party meeting

W

WalkingforHim

Imagine if a Christian priest or minister or pastor had prayed at a DNC meeting that those attending be guided away from the path of those doomed by God, or that they all turn from their path of destruction to True Path of Christianity and Submission to Jesus .... or had prayed that abortion be stopped....

That happens, oh, once an hour around here. I fail to see how this Imam is any different than many of the Christian here.

There is no need for anyone to try with Islam. Their goals are crystal clear. Ask your priest.

I would trust a priest to talk about Islam as I would trust a democrat to talk about a republican.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I do get tired of Americans preaching about how bad things are in Britain. Ever lived here?
Things are worse there, but too often that's noted as an ad hom attack to distract from criticism of US policies.

(I haven't lived there; my wife did.)

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Christian Priests" have a pretty good understanding of Islam. The Vatican was looted by Saracens in 846 A.D. and there were several other attempts to conquor the Roman Church. The last emperor of the Eastern Empire was forced to serve as a vassal to the Ottoman ruler.

The other side of this is Muslims have a good idea of their adversary too. Istanbul has one of the best archives of material from the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the world. You can read (in French) handwritten letters from Metternich there.

Upvote 0

ElvisFan42

Senior Veteran
Jul 18, 2006
✟11,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
With heads bowed reverently, Democrats were led in prayer yesterday by a Muslim imam who essentially asked Allah to assist in converting the party members to Islam, according to a scholar and author.

get full story:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54085
Wow, that's quite a LIBERAL interpertation of what was actually said.

The west, in our ethnocentric arrogance, we insist that the rest of the world uses the same lexicon as we.

This inability to see past our own world view is a severe handicap, even deadly.

If you are an expert on the differences between western and middle eastern phrases and meanings, where were you when people were saying that Ahmadinejad said Israel should be wiped off the map when that isn't what he said?

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Those who want freedom of religion for Christians should remember that real freedom of religion means for everybody. That means if it's ok for a Christian prayer to be said before a public school football game, it's also ok for a Muslim prayer to be said in a similar situation.

I don't think the Constitution allows religious freedom for only one religion.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Those who want freedom of religion for Christians should remember that real freedom of religion means for everybody. That means if it's ok for a Christian prayer to be said before a public school football game, it's also ok for a Muslim prayer to be said in a similar situation.

I don't think the Constitution allows religious freedom for only one religion.
I agree OhhJim, although the OP doesn't doesn't really address that. It is implying that the democrats who attended are being converted to Islam.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
no, the implication of the OP is that the same kind of prayer by a Christian would NOT have been allowed, indeed has been censured, in this and other public venues ... there have even been numerous threads in this forum decrying reports of such Christian prayers in public venues ...

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
no, the implication of the OP is that the same kind of prayer by a Christian would NOT have been allowed, indeed has been censured, in this and other public venues ... there have even been numerous threads in this forum decrying reports of such Christian prayers in public venues ...
Here is the point depicted in the link that defines the thread

[FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times] With heads bowed reverently, Democrats were led in prayer yesterday by a Muslim imam who essentially asked Allah to assist in converting the party members to Islam, according to a scholar and author.

The point of the OP is very clear.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

BibleMadeMeDoIt

Jul 23, 2005
Buffalo NY
✟8,802.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I do get tired of Americans preaching about how bad things are in Britain. :yawn: Ever lived here?

Excuse me a moment...there's a mob of angry Muslims shouting outside my door and throwing petrol bombs. Oh no, wait, that was just [your] imagination. :doh:

peace

It' not totally the Americans fault we are sometimes ignorant of the actual situations in countries we know little about. If I was not smart enough to search out newspapers online from other countries I too would think that the Muslims are bombing your country every week or planning something evil all the time. The only news we are allowed to view is news that will get a rise of support out of us for the war on terror.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Here is the point depicted in the link that defines the thread

The point of the OP is very clear.
[/font]
LOL ^_^ :D You DO assume rather much, especially when the OP has stated and clarified the "point" ^_^ :D

The quote you point out is indeed that which is in the OP. However, it is the first sentence of the article and thus, because we are limited in what we are allowed to quote from copyrighted articles, was only a snippet of the entire article. Even so, nothing in the OP alluded to an intent to forbid the imam from such a prayer. Even subsequent posts of mine (the OP) clearly show that the overriding point/intent of the OP is that Christians would not be allowed the same latitude in the same or similar venue.

Have a Blessed Day...

b'Shalom
Henaynei

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rosesandravens

Nov 6, 2006
Australia
✟7,862.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
OH NOES!!11!!!!

Teh Jihad!!11!!!

BAHAHAHA! I love you. :p

Pffft, talk about a storm in a teacup. I'm just as happy praying with Muslims or Christians as with Jews. If the intent is good and sincere, I don't think God needs a translation book.

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Even subsequent posts of mine (the OP) clearly show that the overriding point/intent of the OP is that Christians would not be allowed the same latitude in the same or similar venue.

Which posts?

This one?

perhaps this one.

The west, in our ethnocentric arrogance, we insist that the rest of the world uses the same lexicon as we.

This inability to see past our own world view is a severe handicap, even deadly.

what about this one?

ahhhh... such a succinct and poignant answer to my posit

Even so, nothing in the OP alluded to an intent to forbid the imam from such a prayer.
Who said it did? What the OP implies is the imam was attempting to convert democrats to Islam.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
What the OP implies is the imam was attempting to convert democrats to Islam.
there is evidence from those who have made it their business to study and learn what is meant by such prayers that indeed prayer for conversion was part of that prayer.

A Christian would not have been allowed to pray such a prayer.

Our ethnocentricity too often forces us to insist that what such words and phrases plainly mean in our lexicon are clearly what is meant by them in the vocabualry of others. This is to our great intellectual discredit.

I am not saying the imam should not have been allowed to pray such a prayer, only that a Christian would not have been given the same a latitude.

As has been said by others in this thread - such *should* be the right of every religion in this country. Even if it is not so in the home countries of those religions.

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
...the overriding point/intent of the OP is that Christians would not be allowed the same latitude in the same or similar venue.

Actually, Christian prayers are allowed in similar venues all the time. For every one that gets a lawsuit, and makes the newspapers, there are hundreds that happen with no fanfare. Just like Nativity scenes on government property.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PacificPandeist

PanDeism is the Reason for my Seasons
May 8, 2006
San Mateo
✟27,341.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Christian Priests" have a pretty good understanding of Islam. The Vatican was looted by Saracens in 846 A.D. and there were several other attempts to conquor the Roman Church. The last emperor of the Eastern Empire was forced to serve as a vassal to the Ottoman ruler.

The other side of this is Muslims have a good idea of their adversary too. Istanbul has one of the best archives of material from the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the world. You can read (in French) handwritten letters from Metternich there.
And during the Crusades, Christians sliced the ears and noses off of Muslim children, and gutted the woman to be sure they had not swallowed the coins that the Christians needed as loot to pay their mercenaries.... and what does this tell us about the motives of Christians hundreds of years later?

//// Pacific PanDeist

Upvote 0

CCGirl

Resident Commie
Sep 21, 2005
Canada
✟27,370.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
ElvisFan42 said:
If you are an expert on the differences between western and middle eastern phrases and meanings, where were you when people were saying that Ahmadinejad said Israel should be wiped off the map when that isn't what he said?

This is always ignored....conveniently.:doh:

Upvote 0