Mar 13, 2017
✟185,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If there was a real life meetup nearby, I'd probably go. In fact, I might be willing to organize one. I met several CF-ers years ago, and it was fun. They haven't posted in the Singles section for a long time, however, as I think they're all married now. I've yet to meet any of the currently active members. For all I know, we're mostly interacting with bots and foreign troll farms now but the people I met way back when seemed genuine enough. We got along surprisingly well.

Whatever we share here is public. Even back then I was wary of social media for this reason, but we were all good about asking permission before sharing photos etc. That might be more difficult behind computer screens. Recording software is more advanced now, and I've seen people upload videos without their permission. Although I don't recall the details, the gist of it is that they called people out in a video on YouTube and said negative things while sharing photos and screen names. It was creepy.

If we've already met in person or have a long history of interacting on the board or through DMs, I might be more open to a Zoom meeting, but I don't necessarily want to be recorded by potentially strange people on the internet.

Do I think it would be fun? Yes! It probably would be. Am I willing to take the risk at this time? Probably not. The chance is too high that there will be somebody on there who shouldn't, and I also wouldn't want to see anyone get heckled or otherwise harassed by them.

That being said, I might be open to meeting in virtual reality. Meeting as an avatar in the same virtual space feels similar to meeting in person and is probably the safest medium of all. As the technology improves and becomes more accessible, the feasibility increases. Maybe this will be a more realistic option 5 years from now. As it stands, expecting others here to have fancy headsets and trackers is probably asking too much. Not everybody can justify the cost and time involved even if they can technically afford it.

For me, CF is mostly a way to read and share thoughts about topics, with relative anonymity, from the comfort of home. There are also elements of iron sharpening iron and putting thoughts into writing. It can even feel a little like journaling at times. I'm not necessarily here to meet people, and that's possibly true for others. Nice if it happens, but it can also be nice to keep at a distance. Some of us lead busy lives, and time spent here can be a welcomed escape.
I recall being on a different message board for singles...apparently, several us lived in one state.
The one person in one state lived closest to me was a woman.

So some guys got the idea of us to get together....unfortunately she was the ONLY woman and she said she would not do it unless another woman came.
So it would be a bunch of dudes an only her. Cant' say I blame her as this would indeed be awkward for her and even make her feel unsafe.

I personally just wanted to meet her one-on-one being she lived close, but she wasn't up for it.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟185,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If there was a real life meetup nearby, I'd probably go. In fact, I might be willing to organize one. I met several CF-ers years ago, and it was fun. They haven't posted in the Singles section for a long time, however, as I think they're all married now. I've yet to meet any of the currently active members. For all I know, we're mostly interacting with bots and foreign troll farms now but the people I met way back when seemed genuine enough. We got along surprisingly well.

Whatever we share here is public. Even back then I was wary of social media for this reason, but we were all good about asking permission before sharing photos etc. That might be more difficult behind computer screens. Recording software is more advanced now, and I've seen people upload videos without their permission. Although I don't recall the details, the gist of it is that they called people out in a video on YouTube and said negative things while sharing photos and screen names. It was creepy.

If we've already met in person or have a long history of interacting on the board or through DMs, I might be more open to a Zoom meeting, but I don't necessarily want to be recorded by potentially strange people on the internet.

Do I think it would be fun? Yes! It probably would be. Am I willing to take the risk at this time? Probably not. The chance is too high that there will be somebody on there who shouldn't, and I also wouldn't want to see anyone get heckled or otherwise harassed by them.

That being said, I might be open to meeting in virtual reality. Meeting as an avatar in the same virtual space feels similar to meeting in person and is probably the safest medium of all. As the technology improves and becomes more accessible, the feasibility increases. Maybe this will be a more realistic option 5 years from now. As it stands, expecting others here to have fancy headsets and trackers is probably asking too much. Not everybody can justify the cost and time involved even if they can technically afford it.

For me, CF is mostly a way to read and share thoughts about topics, with relative anonymity, from the comfort of home. There are also elements of iron sharpening iron and putting thoughts into writing. It can even feel a little like journaling at times. I'm not necessarily here to meet people, and that's possibly true for others. Nice if it happens, but it can also be nice to keep at a distance. Some of us lead busy lives, and time spent here can be a welcomed escape.
SO how are you meeting other singles in the real world?

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟379,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
SO how are you meeting other singles in the real world?
Sounds like a good idea for a thread. If you start one, I may post a more detailed response there.

I just live my life. No singles groups or dating sites, if that's what you're asking about.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'd always be happy to meet up with people on CF virtually using Zoom, Teams, Skype or another service. I think smaller groups of 4-5 people would work better so that everyone can get the chance to speak. In some video chat apps, if there are too many participants then some of them get hidden from view which might be disorientating. Otherwise it is a very good idea.

• Agree
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟121,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to be honest I think my comfort zone at this time for the virtual is with three or four women. No men at this time.

It doesn't mean in the future that there's not a possibility of meeting in person. I like how this thread has had discussion and that there are multiple ways of cultivating and bringing the relationships on a deeper level or more fun. Connection is so important for this to be some kind of community. I don't know that I'm going to have time to compile all the ideas but if someone was able to do that that would be great! And each person could choose what their comfort level is.

Reactions: LoveDivine
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like a good idea for a thread. If you start one, I may post a more detailed response there.

I just live my life. No singles groups or dating sites, if that's what you're asking about.

I'm with you. I have no interest in meeting up for the possibility of a future match. I am way too content to worry about that, but I can't think of anyone here I wouldn't enjoy meeting.

I would meet folks online or in person just to hang out. It would be fun to hang out with folks I've been talking to for years now lol. Unfortunately, I recognize that for some, either of those possibilitues can be fraught with issues. People are not always trustworthy, and you have to watch out for folks. That's sad, but it's the reality.

That being said, if any of y'all are passing through the Richmond, VA area, which is about an hour and a half from me, and want to hang out, Richmond has great food! Lol. I guess that might sound weird after saying you have to watch out for folks, but I ain't afraid of y'all. :)

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm with you. I have no interest in meeting up for the possibility of a future match. I am way too content to worry about that, but I can't think of anyone here I wouldn't enjoy meeting.

I would meet folks online or in person just to hang out. It would be fun to hang out with folks I've been talking to for years now lol. Unfortunately, I recognize that for some, either of those possibilitues can be fraught with issues. People are not always trustworthy, and you have to watch out for folks. That's sad, but it's the reality.

That being said, if any of y'all are passing through the Richmond, VA area, which is about an hour and a half from me, and want to hang out, Richmond has great food! Lol. I guess that might sound weird after saying you have to watch out for folks, but I ain't afraid of y'all. :)

I think i have cousin's 1 maybe two, in Richmond not sure though. But I know they are in Virginia my aunt is in Gloucester

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
-​

Nashville or a smaller city near by in the surrounding area would not be a bad drive for me.

Well, if you're ever this way. The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is great and I know it well. :)

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well, if you're ever this way. The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is great and I know it well. :)

Me, mom and dad ( that is my dad's sister's family in Virginia) went up there in, i believe 1978.

But if i do ever get that way again i will let you know. My cousins have ask me to come and visit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

That is something about living and being from Mississippi. People you grow up with, a few move away to other areas, so i have friends and know people basically all over the country. But that may be the same for other people and their state also.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I joined CF back in 2019. I am a registered nurse and back then I was working full time nights. On my days (or "nights") off, I would be at home - awake into the wee hours.

As a happily single person, I never felt lonely (even at 2.00am in the morning!) as there is usually someone about on social media, etc, to talk to. I came to CF as it gave me the opportunity to have friendly conversations with people all over the world.

I have often thought it would be nice to get the opportunity to meet up face-to-face (either using video, or real life) with people I have communicated with. In my day to day work, I often speak with doctors, pharmacists, social workers, etc on the phone and when we eventually meet up, we always say it's nice to finally put a face to the voice!

The biggest challenge to meeting people in person, especially on a forum such as CF, is that we are all geographically displaced - many of us living on different continents. Even in somewhere like the USA, I can imagine it would be difficult to to arrange a meet up at a local coffee place or pub - unless you are living in the same town.

Online apps such as Zoom, Skype, MSTeams have helped bring people together who could not normally meet, but seeing faces upon faces in a gallery it is a little bit like being partaking in the Muppet Show!

When I finally move into my own house, I will have a spare room which will be used for friends (far and wide) who want to come and visit and stop over as a guest. And the friends I have made on CF and, who I have got to know well, would be very welcome. My cooking is not the best, although I can do a fairly decent cooked breakfast and slow cooker stews. I will be living near a big forest and planning to get a second bike for any guests who want to explore the great outdoors!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟121,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Eventually, when and if I can get a handle on work/life balance, I wanna try and do a movie night or game night or something.
I'd be interested. Even though I have some voice problems.

Reactions: mojoboy31
Upvote 0