Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Imagine for a second what a virtual CF singles meet up would look like. If it were to happen, what are some ideal dates and times? And would it be in sub groups? Maybe some individuals feel more comfortable in groups of five rather than the large group.

I just want to get this idea rolling, as idea was thrown out there and I think it's a good idea. Just starting with five for 2023 might be fun. What do you think? Myself I'm still a bit shy for participation.

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟96,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I’m up to host a zoom in the new year (December is a bit too crazy from here forward). Times might be a bit limited if I’m the host though… single mama and all. I’m central time. Could do a weekday or weekend evening depending on preference!

sampa
sampa
That's awesome that you're willing to host! Totally understand what the Christmas season that's why I was thinking next year would be best. It will be easier to organize if there are just five of you as far as times and days.
Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think the small groups is a good idea. A large group would be very overwhelming. Maybe have sign ups for groups. Have different groups with different days and times to accommodate everyone. But you'll have to get that info from others that want to participate.

Then you'll need an app for this virtual meet up and get a consensus on what app to use.

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟188,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a nice idea. I think smaller groups would be more ideal ( I think it is more likely that 4-5 members could coordinate schedules vs a bigger group). If it takes off and everyone enjoys it, it would be possible to plan for bigger meetups. I am also too busy this December to be able to participate. I think I could easily join in on a weeknight or weekend day in the new year.

sampa
sampa
Looks like we have three gals that are interested so far :) I really think this is a possible idea and hope at least 3 of you can do a 20-30 minute chat. Maybe even some icebreaker questions.
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Imagine for a second what a virtual CF singles meet up would look like. If it were to happen, what are some ideal dates and times? And would it be in sub groups? Maybe some individuals feel more comfortable in groups of five rather than the large group.

I just want to get this idea rolling, as idea was thrown out there and I think it's a good idea. Just starting with five for 2023 might be fun. What do you think? Myself I'm still a bit shy for participation.
It'll be ok,
You can always wear a Mask!! :oldthumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
-​

What is the difference in a meet up and just writing post to people back and forth on a thread. If it over the internet it looks like all the same to me. Unless i do not understand what a meet up is
The meet up would be a live video chat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
I've arranged countless meets, I'm always the only one who shows up. I've tried two in New York, one in Chicago, three in London and one in Amsterdam - and it's always the same, tumbleweeds.

I was passing through these places anyway (and live in one) but discussions about prospective meets always fall through. No one on CF seems interested. Would a virtual one be any different? Not sure.

LoveDivine
LoveDivine
That is frustrating. I did meet a couple of CF members, but I recall many meetup discussions that fizzled out.
Upvote 0
sampa
sampa
Hopefully this time it'll be different! I think a virtual is going to be a little bit easier. Even if it's just two people!! I have met up with two people from the Christian forums. I can't remember @Miles I think we may have missed each other back when I was out your way with the Air Force training. That was in 2010.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've arranged countless meets, I'm always the only one who shows up. I've tried two in New York, one in Chicago, three in London and one in Amsterdam - and it's always the same, tumbleweeds.

I was passing through these places anyway (and live in one) but discussions about prospective meets always fall through. No one on CF seems interested. Would a virtual one be any different? Not sure.
If there was a real life meetup nearby, I'd probably go. In fact, I might be willing to organize one. I met several CF-ers years ago, and it was fun. They haven't posted in the Singles section for a long time, however, as I think they're all married now. I've yet to meet any of the currently active members. For all I know, we're mostly interacting with bots and foreign troll farms now but the people I met way back when seemed genuine enough. We got along surprisingly well.

Whatever we share here is public. Even back then I was wary of social media for this reason, but we were all good about asking permission before sharing photos etc. That might be more difficult behind computer screens. Recording software is more advanced now, and I've seen people upload videos without their permission. Although I don't recall the details, the gist of it is that they called people out in a video on YouTube and said negative things while sharing photos and screen names. It was creepy.

If we've already met in person or have a long history of interacting on the board or through DMs, I might be more open to a Zoom meeting, but I don't necessarily want to be recorded by potentially strange people on the internet.

Do I think it would be fun? Yes! It probably would be. Am I willing to take the risk at this time? Probably not. The chance is too high that there will be somebody on there who shouldn't, and I also wouldn't want to see anyone get heckled or otherwise harassed by them.

That being said, I might be open to meeting in virtual reality. Meeting as an avatar in the same virtual space feels similar to meeting in person and is probably the safest medium of all. As the technology improves and becomes more accessible, the feasibility increases. Maybe this will be a more realistic option 5 years from now. As it stands, expecting others here to have fancy headsets and trackers is probably asking too much. Not everybody can justify the cost and time involved even if they can technically afford it.

For me, CF is mostly a way to read and share thoughts about topics, with relative anonymity, from the comfort of home. There are also elements of iron sharpening iron and putting thoughts into writing. It can even feel a little like journaling at times. I'm not necessarily here to meet people, and that's possibly true for others. Nice if it happens, but it can also be nice to keep at a distance. Some of us lead busy lives, and time spent here can be a welcomed escape.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟96,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If there was a real life meetup nearby, I'd probably go. In fact, I might be willing to organize one. I met several CF-ers years ago, and it was fun. They haven't posted in the Singles section for a long time, however, as I think they're all married now. I've yet to meet any of the currently active members. For all I know, we're mostly interacting with bots and foreign troll farms now but the people I met way back when seemed genuine enough. We got along surprisingly well.

Whatever we share here is public. Even back then I was wary of social media for this reason, but we were all good about asking permission before sharing photos etc. That might be more difficult behind computer screens. Recording software is more advanced now, and I've seen people upload videos without their permission. Although I don't recall the details, the gist of it is that they called people out in a video on YouTube and said negative things while sharing photos and screen names. It was creepy.

If we've already met in person or have a long history of interacting on the board or through DMs, I might be more open to a Zoom meeting, but I don't necessarily want to be recorded by potentially strange people on the internet.

Do I think it would be fun? Yes! It probably would be. Am I willing to take the risk at this time? Probably not. The chance is too high that there will be somebody on there who shouldn't, and I also wouldn't want to see anyone get heckled or otherwise harassed by them.

That being said, I might be open to meeting in virtual reality. Meeting as an avatar in the same virtual space feels similar to meeting in person and is probably the safest medium of all. As the technology improves and becomes more accessible, the feasibility increases. Maybe this will be a more realistic option 5 years from now. As it stands, expecting others here to have fancy headsets and trackers is probably asking too much. Not everybody can justify the cost and time involved even if they can technically afford it.

For me, CF is mostly a way to read and share thoughts about topics, with relative anonymity, from the comfort of home. There are also elements of iron sharpening iron and putting thoughts into writing. It can even feel a little like journaling at times. I'm not necessarily here to meet people, and that's possibly true for others. Nice if it happens, but it can also be nice to keep at a distance. Some of us lead busy lives, and time spent here can be a welcomed escape.
I’d totally meet if a meet up was close also… but I think we’re so spread out that would be hard unfortunately.

Upvote 0

mojoboy31

Kitchen Ninja
Oct 19, 2014
One does not simply give away one's location.
✟241,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've done a few virtual hangouts/voice chats/movie nights with some of my online buddies. We play videos games, watch anime together. It's really less pressure and more low-key than it seems. Back in the day, the idea would have intimidated me like no tomorrow, but really it isn't that big of deal, it's just fun. And you don't have to have your camera on if you don't want, you can just talk, or lurk, just listening and maybe chiming in here or there.

Large groups can be a tad unruly, and it can be tough to get a word in edge-wise.

We should play Goose Goose Duck! It's free to download from Steam. Think like Among US but way better. I've played up to like 10 or 12 buddies, and it's hysterical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟188,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm no longer really active on CF, but years ago, I do recall voice/video chatting with quite a few of the regular members from singles and I even met two in person. It was fun. I think one way to work around having random (potentially troublesome participants) would be to organise a small group chat first. You could spend some time instant messaging with the members in the group for awhile (just to verify that everyone is actually genuine and not a troll) and then within that group video message, etc. I think video chatting is a nice way to actually put a face to a profile name and develop a friendship/connection (for those who are looking for that from the forum). I've become very cautious with social media and what I post online, but I'd be willing to participate in something like that. If it is done right, it can be very fun.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

I see a few in person (real life) meetup suggestions. That would be something to more of my choice. But my only draw back would be, i would not care to go to a large city. May be a city or town with a population of less than 100,00.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I’d totally meet if a meet up was close also… but I think we’re so spread out that would be hard unfortunately.
That's probably the biggest challenge. It can work when people happen to be passing by. If they're visiting somebody else, on a work assignment, or live nearby it becomes more feasible. When I've met other online acquaintances and friends, a lot came down to coincidence.

When we did meet, it was always as a group and somewhere public. At least the first meeting. It also didn't hurt to live near an airport.

Upvote 0