I'm very interested in becoming a Lutheran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a big believer that we have a "rape culture" in which society deems rape as some sort of ok thing. (although seeing stuff like that I admit makes me question that stance.) But I have to say that's some pretty disturbing and quite frankly stupid stuff.

Beyond the fact that stuff is disturbing, quite frankly how stupid do you have to be to have some sort of story line in which a sexual assault somehow makes someone realize how in love they are with their attacker.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter sounds like it has a more believable story line.

We're talking about 14-15 year olds in this context though. Maybe not stupid, but certainly ignorant. As for women who watch the shows...it's pretend...call it the video games of the Baby Boomers.

What ever happened to rapists go to prison for life?

They never did, not even in the bible. Rape has never been treated as the crime it ought to be.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We're talking about 14-15 year olds in this context though. Maybe not stupid, but certainly ignorant. As for women who watch the shows...it's pretend...call it the video games of the Baby Boomers.

I can get teenagers. . . but my understanding is that the soap operas are mainly watched by adult women, probably older women. It would just seem to me that older women would lose their suspension of disbelief if an angle of a woman falling in love with her rapist was brought up.

They never did, not even in the bible. Rape has never been treated as the crime it ought to be.

About the only thing that lands a life sentence these days is murder itself. Not commenting on if that's good or not. But it's the reality.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I can get teenagers. . . but my understanding is that the soap operas are mainly watched by adult women, probably older women. It would just seem to me that older women would lose their suspension of disbelief if an angle of a woman falling in love with her rapist was brought up.

Clearly you've never watched soap operas. :) Some of the most popular and most loved characters were rapists before they had the redemption arc.

About the only thing that lands a life sentence these days is murder itself. Not commenting on if that's good or not. But it's the reality.

In some states if you're caught selling drugs three or more times you get life in prison. There's always that...

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Clearly you've never watched soap operas. :) Some of the most popular and most loved characters were rapists before they had the redemption arc.

You are right I havn't!

In some states if you're caught selling drugs three or more times you get life in prison. There's always that...

I don't think that's true in my state, but even then that has more to do with the repeating then the crime.

My state doesn't hand out life sentences for anything but murder. Now commit the right crimes enough times and you can get a de facto life sentence since there are crimes other then murder that you can go away for 45 years for. (Usually the crime has to end in someone dying)

But a straight up life sentence is reserved only for murder, that is if they don't give you the death penalty.

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Days of our Lives, s soap opera I watched as a kid, had several rape storylines over the years where the victim has ended up married to the rapist and forgiving him for the rape or even going so far as to say it wasn't rape. In one storyline it seemed they started blaming the victim even.

that's insane, I never heard or saw that..remember who all were involved?
I used to watch that show for a while because Susan/Kristen Di Mera was funny...must be like 10 years ago now.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
that's insane, I never heard or saw that..remember who all were involved?
I used to watch that show for a while because Susan/Kristen Di Mera was funny...must be like 10 years ago now.
The first two that come to mind were Jack and then EJ...there's more though...

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I thought soap operas where all about 1 character declaring his/her undying love for another character and about 3 episodes later cheating on that character, breaking up with that character, or declaring his/her undying love for another character.

Didn't know rape even factored into it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The first two that come to mind were Jack and then EJ...there's more though...

EJ's redemption arc was that Sami forgave him for the rape, and then went so far as to admit that it actually wasnt rape. For the record, she was trying to save Lucas and EJ said he'd help her ONLY if she had sex with him. So there is a bit of a grey area there in that situation. And in some weird twist, for awhile the plot line had Sami being at fault for accepting EJs help.

Jack outright raped Kayla, but then went on to be a big HERO in Salem and it seemed like everyone forgot what he had done. They blamed it on his father for being a overbearing jerk and whatnot. His redemption arc was that he had "feelings" about what he had done but didn't know what to do about them.

Because it's a soap opera and not real, it's very easy to look at these guys now and root for them. EJ is currently with Sami as a couple and Kayla has long since gotten "over" what happened to her, although it factored in a bit when she was married to Steve Johnson. It made for a good storyline for the two of them at the time.

So it's easy to see why high school age kids, probably girls for the most part, can equate some forms of rape as love. Soap operas are actually more geared towards teens than we think. Guiding Light came on right when we got home from school so that's what we watched.

But even moreso than rape is the abortion culture. Who cares if you're having sex when you're 13? Apparently by the law you're not old enough to consent but you're old enough to get an abortion without anyone else knowing?

It's a scary society out there...yeesh.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
EJ's redemption arc was that Sami forgave him for the rape, and then went so far as to admit that it actually wasnt rape. For the record, she was trying to save Lucas and EJ said he'd help her ONLY if she had sex with him. So there is a bit of a grey area there in that situation. And in some weird twist, for awhile the plot line had Sami being at fault for accepting EJs help.

I would say that's blackmail, not rape. It's interesting though Shakespeare had a play that centered quite a bit around something like that. Measure for Measure, read it in college. One of my favorite plays that I've read thus far, if only because it's the only one I've read where everyone doesn't die at the end.

Jack outright raped Kayla, but then went on to be a big HERO in Salem and it seemed like everyone forgot what he had done. They blamed it on his father for being a overbearing jerk and whatnot. His redemption arc was that he had "feelings" about what he had done but didn't know what to do about them.

Because it's a soap opera and not real, it's very easy to look at these guys now and root for them. EJ is currently with Sami as a couple and Kayla has long since gotten "over" what happened to her, although it factored in a bit when she was married to Steve Johnson. It made for a good storyline for the two of them at the time.

So it's easy to see why high school age kids, probably girls for the most part, can equate some forms of rape as love. Soap operas are actually more geared towards teens than we think. Guiding Light came on right when we got home from school so that's what we watched.

Note to self, if I ever have a daughter she's not allowed to watch soap operas. Doubt my son will be too interested in them so I probably don't have to worry about that.

But even moreso than rape is the abortion culture. Who cares if you're having sex when you're 13? Apparently by the law you're not old enough to consent but you're old enough to get an abortion without anyone else knowing?

It's a scary society out there...yeesh.

You have to be 18 to get cold medicine in my state, but the federal government is saying you should have access to powerful oral contraceptives well before you are 18.

It's not just abortion culture, it's the removal of parents from having any authority over what their underage daughter does with her reproductive system.

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Days of our Lives just got a bit worse and much crazier than I already knew it was. I started watching it after those rape things. And stopped watching when Kristen DiMera died. But yeah,I never thought of S O as being a teen thing, but it's true that they're on when kids get home from school...I'm not sure TV is as big of a thing these days tho, now that everyone has the Internet on every device they own?? My guess is that teens would rather Facebook than watch soaps.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My labeling myself of an atheist (at this point) has shifted from a true lack of belief into now a more hesitant nervousness. I suppose I stopped being a "true" atheist weeks ago, but when you've been one thing for so long it becomes comfortable to stick to that label.

I'm not sure what I am now. I'm not an agnostic, because I've never been the type to sit on the fence. I guess I'm someone who wants to become a Lutheran but is petrified of change and what it might bring.

I'd like to be more blunt than that, but I fear causing offense. When I say I fear the change, I don't know how to say it in a good, socially acceptable way, but I'll try. Basically, I have things I am afraid of giving up: sex, (a bit of marijuana but only RARELY), alcohol, and extremely violent video games.

PLEASE don't look down on me for these things. I can't control the fact that I desire them; even if it's possible to control them, I honestly believe it's not possible to control the desire. I don't want all you people to hate me because I admitted to that stuff.

I'm afraid to live life without it. All the things I'm afraid I'd have to give up are the things that make my life happy.

Hi. I'm so happy that god drew you closer to you. :)
Such a beautiful testimony (the tree).

I think know what you are, you're a seeker. Maybe you could change your icon here on cf? Just an advice.

While I'm not lutheran and never was, I can understand why you feel drawn to them. I boot really describe it either, but I felt and actually feel the same that Lutherans are different than all other Christian churches.

Advices: read the bible (with a good Lutheran commentary), find a Lutheran church and a pastor.
Read the Augsburg confession and Luther's small catechism for the start.

I know that some Lutherans offer a kind of confession. Go there if you want t o. Maybe it helps you with your feelings of guilt if the pastor says you're sins are forgiven

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Some advice: buy and read the holy bible as well as a good Lutheran commentary. (I think scofield is Lutheran, correct me if I'm wrong, my Lutheran friends.)

Read the Augsburg confession and the small (and later maybe the big) catechism of Luther)

Try to pray. Just talk to God as if he stood right next to you. You may feel strange in the beginning, but you'll realize after some time how much power a prayer has and you'll start missing it if you don't do it for a longer time.

Feel free to pm me, if you have questions.
While I'm maybe not the best person to answer detail questions about Lutheranism, I can tell you my testimony and answer you general questions about Christianity (and about born again churches, been one; as well as about Catholicism, if you're interested).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Days of our Lives just got a bit worse and much crazier than I already knew it was. I started watching it after those rape things. And stopped watching when Kristen DiMera died. But yeah,I never thought of S O as being a teen thing, but it's true that they're on when kids get home from school...I'm not sure TV is as big of a thing these days tho, now that everyone has the Internet on every device they own?? My guess is that teens would rather Facebook than watch soaps.

Kristen's back, by the way, and crazy as ever!! :D

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Kristen's back, by the way, and crazy as ever!! :D

Really?! I MUST have a look someday soon, woohoo!
Many years ago I sent "her" a letter saying I loved how funny Kristen/Susan are, and she sent me a note back with a signed photo haahahah...It's hilarious because it's a half naked photo of her and she's written "To [my name] with love " hahahahahaha.

Upvote 0

Parogar

Jan 15, 2008
New York
✟9,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
In the 80s my mom used to watch General Hospital and it was the same thing...rape and then they fell in love later and got married. Rape is not glorious as Satan makes it out to be.

How can such disgusting things exist? I can't believe how much times have changed in just the short period I've been alive. I'm only 25, but when I was a kid, if you said the words "Rape is bad", everyone agreed with you--always.

Now, I actually have to DEFEND my position that rape is bad. I literally got into a 20 page forum war with people who defend that rape can "occasionally" be sexy.

And these were all women, too. I promise you that I'm not making this up.

When did the world become a place where "rape is wrong" has become just another opinion?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
How can such disgusting things exist? I can't believe how much times have changed in just the short period I've been alive. I'm only 25, but when I was a kid, if you said the words "Rape is bad", everyone agreed with you--always.

Now, I actually have to DEFEND my position that rape is bad. I literally got into a 20 page forum war with people who defend that rape can "occasionally" be sexy.

And these were all women, too. I promise you that I'm not making this up.

When did the world become a place where "rape is wrong" has become just another opinion?

This is what the bible says will happen. Things will get progressively worse. These days, kids are desensitized to rape...Grand Theft Auto, I believe, has a rape scene in it. Look at all the stories that involve vampires - there's usually an element of rape in those as well. It's "glamorous" now. That's the way of the world.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.