I'm very interested in becoming a Lutheran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parogar

Jan 15, 2008
New York
✟9,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
(possibly offfensive post, but if so I humbly do apologize)

I'm currently an atheist (have been for a very long time) but lately I've met a great deal of friends online who are Lutheran, and one of the things that immediately struck me about them is that it's very dissimilar from every other sect of Christianity I've looked into. Dramatically so, but in a good way.

I've had very long discussions with Lutherans through Skype from all over America, and with kids from their teens years to their parents and their parent's parents, and the first thing I've noticed is that, unlike other Christians (again, sorry if this is offensive) Lutherans are the least judgmental, the least likely to point a finger, and the least likely to flip out when you disagree with them or have a tough question.

But here's my dilemma, and this is the really offensive part of this post, and I humbly apologize to everyone who'll likely be offended by this.

Christianity has changed in America to the point where I'm honestly embarrassed to become known as one. The single thing now holding me back from worshiping Christ (whom I already greatly admire and revere) is the fear of ridicule and the shame that would come with it.

A great part of me wants to take steps to become a Lutheran, but another great part of me is so dreading the idea of being known as a "Christian."

I realize it must come off as very offensive to attach such a negative stigma to the word, but ... well, I can't help it.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Again, I made this post sincerely and I truly don't want to cause harm to anyone.

Please don't look at my message history, because I've said a lot of bad things about God and Christ in my time on here, and I take all of them--all of them--back. I started posting on this forum (the atheist debate forum vs creation) when I was just turning eighteen. I'm 24 now, and boy did I say some stupid things on here that I wish I could make go away.

Reactions: LilLamb219

Parogar

Jan 15, 2008
New York
✟9,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
And just to clarify, the reason I mentioned my message history is because if you look at my message history, everything I have just written will look like I am trolling and not sincere.

I don't even know if it's possible to apologize for the outright disgusting and horrible things I've said in the past about Christ and God. The only reason I don't make a new account is because I'd feel dishonest and dirty.

I was the very definition of a "militant atheist". And I wish I could feel then as I do now, so I would not have said all the bad things that I did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello and welcome!

First off I have to say that there are many Lutherans who will judge, point fingers and flip out! I mean, we're pretty much still in these sinful human bodies, so forgive us when we do those things! :sorry:

It's great that you're investigating the faith and if you have a lot of questions to ask, we'll gladly answer.

I understand your concerns about wanting to be labeled amongst those who embarrass you. I guess it's just one of those things where it's more like you stick with your beliefs and live your life in the way God would like and not worry about the people who will hate the label. It takes a while to get accustomed to...and to be able to just ignore comments others will say.

Have you found a local church that you're interested in attending yet?

I'm currently an atheist (have been for a very long time) but lately I've met a great deal of friends online who are Lutheran, and one of the things that immediately struck me about them is that it's very dissimilar from every other sect of Christianity I've looked into. Dramatically so, but in a good way.

I've had very long discussions with Lutherans through Skype from all over America, and with kids from their teens years to their parents and their parent's parents, and the first thing I've noticed is that, unlike other Christians (again, sorry if this is offensive) Lutherans are the least judgmental, the least likely to point a finger, and the least likely to flip out when you disagree with them or have a tough question.

But here's my dilemma, and this is the really offensive part of this post, and I humbly apologize to everyone who'll likely be offended by this.

Christianity has changed in America to the point where I'm honestly embarrassed to become known as one. The single thing now holding me back from worshiping Christ (whom I already greatly admire and revere) is the fear of ridicule and the shame that would come with it.

A great part of me wants to take steps to become a Lutheran, but another great part of me is so dreading the idea of being known as a "Christian."

I realize it must come off as very offensive to attach such a negative stigma to the word, but ... well, I can't help it.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Again, I made this post sincerely and I truly don't want to cause harm to anyone.

Please don't look at my message history, because I've said a lot of bad things about God and Christ in my time on here, and I take all of them--all of them--back. I started posting on this forum (the atheist debate forum vs creation) when I was just turning eighteen. I'm 24 now, and boy did I say some stupid things on here that I wish I could make go away.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Lutheran theology has a solid justification not to be judgmental. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from becoming Lutheran. It's a fine tradition. But there are plenty of other non-judgmental Christians. I'm sorry you haven't met them. I agree that it's an endemic problem, but it's certainly not universal.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We would be glad to answer any questions you might ask. We allow quite a bit of leeway here for folks who are polite, honest and sincere. You may or may not like all of our answers, but we have a good group of people here, including at least two pastors.

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
How wonderful that you are now interested in Christianity. It is indeed sad that the world hates Christ and us who confess Him, but we know from the Bible that that's going to happen. People will ridicule us, laugh at us, and think that they are much wiser than us. But don't let the fear of embarrassment stop you from being a Christian. (Read Matthew 10:33 and see how dangerous it is to deny Jesus.)
Is it that you are embarrassed to be known as a Christian because of what other people who call themselves Christians are doing/have done; or is it the mere fact that being a Christian is considered crazy from the non-Christian point of view?

I am also curious to know what you mean when you say "Christianity has changed in America to the point where I'm honestly embarrassed to become known as one"?

Upvote 0

Mediaeval

baptizatus sum
Sep 24, 2012
✟29,873.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's good that you are trying to count the cost, Luke 14:26-35. If you decide to become one of Christ's disciples He will give you grace "when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for [His] sake."

Upvote 0

MyLordMySavior

MyLordMySavior
Jun 25, 2012
✟8,821.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Yay! I am so glad you are turning to God! Remember, you didn't choose God, God chose you!

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last--and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

Now to the world and its view on us, Jesus Christ said we would be hated because of His name.
Everyone will hate you because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. mark 13:13
"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. John 15:18
Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. Matthew 24:9[/COLOR]

You will have troubles because Christian life isn't easy, but Jesus Christ has overcome the world~ at the end when we endure, we will be able to spend eternity with our Creator, and that reward is so great.

"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16

Do not be afraid, God is with us.

"Do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and will help you, I will uphold you in my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10.

If God is for us then you could stop us? And if our God with us, then what could stand against?

To devote yourself to God, you will be turning away from the sinful ways of this world. The Devil will try to tempt you and turn you away from God. However, you will be strong and persevere because you will put on the Armor of GOD!!!

"Finally, my brethren be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having gird your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints--" Ephesians 6:10-18

If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. John 15:19

Do not lose hope. As Christians, the world will hate you, fight you, break you, kill you but it cannot separate us from the Love of the Lord.

but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved." MAtthew 24:13

In conclusion,

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28

Message me if you would like to discuss! I am so thrilled and will see you in Heaven if you decide to become a Child of God!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Parogar

Jan 15, 2008
New York
✟9,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
How wonderful that you are now interested in Christianity. It is indeed sad that the world hates Christ and us who confess Him, but we know from the Bible that that's going to happen. People will ridicule us, laugh at us, and think that they are much wiser than us. But don't let the fear of embarrassment stop you from being a Christian. (Read Matthew 10:33 and see how dangerous it is to deny Jesus.)
Is it that you are embarrassed to be known as a Christian because of what other people who call themselves Christians are doing/have done; or is it the mere fact that being a Christian is considered crazy from the non-Christian point of view?

I am also curious to know what you mean when you say "Christianity has changed in America to the point where I'm honestly embarrassed to become known as one"?

Hi, sorry for such a slow reply! Was a bit busy today.

There's 3 reasons, and the one you mentioned is mostly correct.

The other two are as follows:

#1, I'm Jewish, and I fear even further ridicule

#2, I have said *awful* things about Christ. I don't want to repeat them, but I have made jokes, insults, and said things that go even beyond Jesus's ability to forgive. I don't mean just bad, I mean to the point where I mocked him for my own personal amusement in sick and wrong ways. I went through a militant atheist phase that has only now really begun to go away, and through those 5-6 years I said every awful thing about Jesus Christ imaginable. If it's awful, I probably said it--so imagine my guilt and shame now that I'm having such powerful second thoughts.

#2 is going to be an issue to overcome, because I don't think there's any form of apology strong enough for the significant amount mocking I have done towards Jesus.

I know it's said that Jesus shows forgiveness, but if many of you had ANY IDEA of the bad things I've said about Jesus and Christianity, you would all hate me and never want to speak to me. I regret all of it, though. Such stupid things I've done.

I've gone around and said things like, "Christians are all Ret****d and God isn't real" (and this was the minor stuff)

I can't really express how sorry I am and how bad I feel. But I'm being honest because I feel I deserve to be shunned for what I've done for so long. I've burned the bible (another thing I don't think there's any repentance for) and I've tried my best to convince people that Christianity was a lie. I've insulted people, I've ... sorry. Really, sorry for it all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi, sorry for such a slow reply! Was a bit busy today.

There's 3 reasons, and the one you mentioned is mostly correct.

The other two are as follows:

#1, I'm Jewish, and I fear even further ridicule

#2, I have said *awful* things about Christ. I don't want to repeat them, but I have made jokes, insults, and said things that go even beyond Jesus's ability to forgive. I don't mean just bad, I mean to the point where I mocked him for my own personal amusement in sick and wrong ways. I went through a militant atheist phase that has only now really begun to go away, and through those 5-6 years I said every awful thing about Jesus Christ imaginable. If it's awful, I probably said it--so imagine my guilt and shame now that I'm having such powerful second thoughts.

#2 is going to be an issue to overcome, because I don't think there's any form of apology strong enough for the significant amount mocking I have done towards Jesus.

I know it's said that Jesus shows forgiveness, but if many of you had ANY IDEA of the bad things I've said about Jesus and Christianity, you would all hate me and never want to speak to me. I regret all of it, though. Such stupid things I've done.

I've gone around and said things like, "Christians are all Ret****d and God isn't real" (and this was the minor stuff)

I can't really express how sorry I am and how bad I feel. Not through text, anyway. But I'm being honest because I feel I deserve to be shunned for what I've done for so long. I've burned the bible (another thing I don't think there's any repentance for) and I've tried my best to convince people that Christianity was a lie. I've insulted people, I've ... sorry. Really, sorry for it all.

Yes those are truly awful things. But do you know what? When it comes to Christianity--the one true religion-- it isn't about us. It is about Him. Jesus Christ, true God, died for all of those sins. There is nothing anyone could ever do that would be good enough to earn them forgiveness for their sins. And we don't even have to try, because it is already finished, on the cross, when Christ died for you and for me and for everyone else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
#2, I have said *awful* things about Christ. I don't want to repeat them, but I have made jokes, insults, and said things that go even beyond Jesus's ability to forgive.

Because of Jesus' death on the cross ALL of our sins were forgiven. He's the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

You show signs of repentance. Now trust in His forgiveness so that He didn't die in vain.

Upvote 0

Parogar

Jan 15, 2008
New York
✟9,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Because of Jesus' death on the cross ALL of our sins were forgiven. He's the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

You show signs of repentance. Now trust in His forgiveness so that He didn't die in vain.

I'm very sorry for what I did. But do you think even after cursing his name for so many years I haven't crossed the uncrossable line? Has there ever been anyone who's shown Jesus such hate like I have and was later forgiven?

I know what I did was awful, but at the time I honestly believed I was right. I hadn't really tried to start looking for Jesus, so I really did (WRONGLY) believe that Christianity was a bunch of lies by stupid people who were trying to brainwash other stupid people.

Now that I'm starting to head rapidly in the other direction, I want to vomit just by remembering the things I've done.

I know I've earned a very big "I told you so" at the very least, and the ire of you all at the very most. If only there was some way I could un-say everything I said and start from scratch

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
I'm very sorry for what I did. But do you think even after cursing his name for so many years I haven't crossed the uncrossable line? Has there ever been anyone who's shown Jesus such hate like I have and was later forgiven?

I know what I did was awful, but at the time I honestly believed I was right. I hadn't really tried to start looking for Jesus, so I really did (WRONGLY) believe that Christianity was a bunch of lies by stupid people who were trying to brainwash other stupid people.

Now that I'm starting to head rapidly in the other direction, I want to vomit just by remembering the things I've done.

I know I've earned a very big "I told you so" at the very least, and the ire of you all at the very most. If only there was some way I could un-say everything I said and start from scratch

Welcome!

You can’t out-sin God.

The apostle Paul called himself the chief of sinners. We all have sinned greatly, and it doesn’t help to compare. You are never, ever beyond the reach of God’s compassion, love, and forgiveness.

Luke 19:10

Upvote 0

Parogar

Jan 15, 2008
New York
✟9,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Here is a link to a Lutheran adult instruction course, it's great if you want to learn more about the basics of Christianity.
"Learn From Me"

You see, this is why I like Lutherans (I'm going to start reading it now, but I've just read the first few pages). My friend, Kala, who first started telling me about Lutherans also gave me a link to why Jews are accepted into the church. Lutherans (in my experience so far) try to explain everything the best I can, which, to a scientific-minded person such as myself, is VERY much appreciated and welcome.

I have a few friends who are born again, and the approach is just so different. I realize this is generalizing, but my life experience has generally been this (from what I've personally seen):

Lutheran child: "Dad, the bible says this and I don't believe it."
Lutheran father: "Well, the thing about that is ___(explanation)"
VS.
Born Again Christian child: "Dad, the bible says this and--"
"It's true! Now go to your room!"

^^ Sorry if that's offensive, and I know not ALL people are like that. It's just been the experience of what I've seen growing up.

I would really like to repent for my sins, and I'm hoping that I can one day become a Lutheran. It's the one I've really got my heart set on. I've looked into every other sect/denomination and I've felt nothing towards any of them aside from Lutheranism. But I think before I start worshiping Jesus, I need to somehow make up for all the bad I've done and all the bad things I've said about him.

What I'd like to know is how: how can I possibly make up for the downright hideous things I've said against his name?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What I'd like to know is how: how can I possibly make up for the downright hideous things I've said against his name?

You can't.

Nobody can.

But JESUS died for those sins. Through faith in Him (that He died for your sins) you are forgiven, and as white as snow in the eyes of God.

It is not about your own merits. It's about Jesus having paid the full price in your place.

Upvote 0

Parogar

Jan 15, 2008
New York
✟9,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You can't.

Nobody can.

But JESUS died for those sins. Through faith in Him (that He died for your sins) you are forgiven, and as white as snow in the eyes of God.

It is not about your own merits. It's about Jesus having paid the full price in your place.

So I don't have to do anything? I just get off scott-free? If that's what you're saying, then rather than make me happy, that makes me sad. I don't feel as if I deserve to be let off the hook for turning people away from Christianity, cursing Jesus's name, and other horrible things.

I want to find some way of making those wrongs right. How can I ask Jesus to save me when I did those things to him? I'm sorry if I'm making you frustrated with all these questions, it's just that I wonder how I can be so selfish as to suddenly make good with Jesus after spending half my life slandering his name. I want Jesus to love me, I really do, but I don't feel like I deserve it. I know it's kinda' difficult to make sense of. It doesn't even make sense to me.

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So I don't have to do anything? I just get off scott-free? If that's what you're saying, then rather than make me happy, that makes me sad. I don't feel as if I deserve to be let off the hook for turning people away from Christianity, cursing Jesus's name, and other horrible things.

I want to find some way of making those wrongs right. How can I ask Jesus to save me when I did those things to him? I'm sorry if I'm making you frustrated with all these questions, it's just that I wonder how I can be so selfish as to suddenly make good with Jesus after spending half my life slandering his name. I want Jesus to love me, I really do, but I don't feel like I deserve it. Not after what I did.

It's not so much that you don't have to do anything, rather it is so that you cannot do anything. God is Holy and His holy justice is so great that nobody is able to even begin doing something that is going to be good enough to earn them forgiveness. God knows this. So, in His huge love for all of us, He sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to die in our place. That is what it took for us to be able to be forgiven.
You don't deserve to be loved by Jesus, nobody does, but as I said before: Christianity is not about us. It's about GOD and how God loves us and how He has saved us. Jesus HAS paid the price. Repent of your sins. Believe God when He says your sins are forgiven for Jesus' sake. You are loved and forgiven, not because you earned it or in yourself deserve it, but because our God is a loving God.

Upvote 0

Parogar

Jan 15, 2008
New York
✟9,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It's not so much that you don't have to do anything, rather it is so that you cannot do anything. God is Holy and His holy justice is so great that nobody is able to even begin doing something that is going to be good enough to earn them forgiveness. God knows this. So, in His huge love for all of us, He sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to die in our place. That is what it took for us to be able to be forgiven.
You don't deserve to be loved by Jesus, nobody does, but as I said before: Christianity is not about us. It's about GOD and how God loves us and how He has saved us. Jesus HAS paid the price. Repent of your sins. Believe God when He says your sins are forgiven for Jesus' sake. You are loved and forgiven, not because you earned it or in yourself deserve it, but because our God is a loving God.

I understand now what you're saying. Sorry if I'm coming off as stupid, but despite sounding simple, it's actually (for me, at least) a bit much to take in. I understand it now, but I'm still wrapping my mind around it.

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I understand now what you're saying. Sorry if I'm coming off as stupid, but despite sounding simple, it's actually (for me, at least) a bit much to take in. I understand it now, but I'm still wrapping my mind around it.

Well it is different from all other religions in the world. They all ask you to do something in order to earn forgiveness or peace. Christianity tells you you can't do anything, but that GOD has done everything needed.

I am willing to answer any other questions you might have, and I am sure many others on this forum are too, but I do think it would benefit you to find a Bible believing Lutheran church and go there are listen to sermons and talk with the pastor.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.