United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

I have been given the opportunity to join a women's Bible study through my church. It all sounded wonderful for the first series that we are going to dive into which involves us getting to know each other on a deeper level. The issues is I have talked to the woman who is leading the Bible study and I'm beginning to see some possible red flags in her behavior. When I asked her How many people were going to attend the Bible study she said " Everyone raised there hand, anyone who doesn't want to join *sharp sign w/ shrug* it is what it is." I tried letting her that I wanted to attend and wanted a study guide. As I told her this she walked away, so I went up to her again in case she didn't hear me and when I told her my answer again she said "k" and kept walking. At another one of our co-ed meet up, I had questions about payment for the study guide and as she responded, she laughed at me in a mocking tone. I have been thinking of not joining due to her possibly displaying bullying behavior.

I told her previously that I wanted a study guide, which she ordered a bunch of them previously and expects us all to pay her $20. If I end up not attending the Bible study, is it fine to not pay her for the study guide? I also prayed to God about this and I felt that maybe He was telling me that I didn't have to, but I should go. Hopefully, it's Him that I'm feeling, because. I would really prefer not to if the lead has rude behavior. God bless you all.

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Don't think too much of it. First impressions are never what you should base anyone off of. We all need to spend time for each other and that is a decision you have to make beforehand.

Do not take to heart all the things that people say, lest you hear your servant cursing you. Your heart knows that many times you yourself have cursed others. ~Ecclesiastes 7:21-22

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is hard to know the mind of someone being described online, but it sounds as though this leader is not particularly interested in your participation.

If you are persuaded, for any reason, that you would not profit from the meetings, I would say not to join. And if you choose not to, it seems to me that you wouldn't be expected to buy one of the guides.

I think, for several reasons, that she has guessed at the number that will be needed, most likely with the understanding that she can return unsold copies.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would go and then if I did not like it just drop out take my $20 study book home with me.

As mentioned by someone else sometimes these things are not what we think they are at first. Usually Bible studies are good for us. If you don't give it a try you will always wonder.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I end up not attending the Bible study, is it fine to not pay her for the study guide?
Since you detected the red flags, pay the $20, walk away, and chalk it up to a learning lesson. As far as I'm concerned, no one should be paying for study guides, if the study is under the auspices of the church.

• Agree
Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello everyone,

I have been given the opportunity to join a women's Bible study through my church. It all sounded wonderful for the first series that we are going to dive into which involves us getting to know each other on a deeper level. The issues is I have talked to the woman who is leading the Bible study and I'm beginning to see some possible red flags in her behavior. When I asked her How many people were going to attend the Bible study she said " Everyone raised there hand, anyone who doesn't want to join *sharp sign w/ shrug* it is what it is." I tried letting her that I wanted to attend and wanted a study guide. As I told her this she walked away, so I went up to her again in case she didn't hear me and when I told her my answer again she said "k" and kept walking. At another one of our co-ed meet up, I had questions about payment for the study guide and as she responded, she laughed at me in a mocking tone. I have been thinking of not joining due to her possibly displaying bullying behavior.

I told her previously that I wanted a study guide, which she ordered a bunch of them previously and expects us all to pay her $20. If I end up not attending the Bible study, is it fine to not pay her for the study guide? I also prayed to God about this and I felt that maybe He was telling me that I didn't have to, but I should go. Hopefully, it's Him that I'm feeling, because. I would really prefer not to if the lead has rude behavior. God bless you all.

Don't sound like a Bible study, sounds more like a devotional study.
My husband do a mens Bible study and he uses the Bible, selects the book, say
it's Daniel, my husband reads it, writes out the lessons and questions; researches, reads/studies the Bible some more, prays lot and do more studying and checking Bible commentaries, Bible encyclopedias, hebrew and greek words researches etc.
We proof read his lessons and questions, if it be in order, then he goes over to the
church and prints off X amount of lessons for the guys who be in the group.
All this be done without further cost, since the paper, printer, ink etc all be covered by the offerings (general offering fund at church).

You all paying $20 bucks each for some written study guide that the "leader" is going "teach" from it and that's called Bible studying?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As far as I'm concerned, no one should be paying for study guides, if the study is under the auspices of the church.

More common to pay for these then not to.
M-Bob

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

I remembered your thread as I just read Proverbs 13:20.

Proverbs 14:7 says a similar thing, and as I read your description of that lady it seemed that she was being quite rude, not in a rush but just not interested to hear your question and give you the answer you asked for. I think you deserve to be treated better than that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟226,907.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If she purchased the number based upon the commitments of the people in the study, then she also purchased one for you. Since you did commit to go, I think you should pay the $20. She should not be out the money because you changed your mind.

Since you did make the commitment to go, I think it would be best to attend. If you find, after attending once or twice, that this is not the study for you, then you can tell her so and discontinue attending. The Lord said let your yes be yes and your no be no. If you were to simply reneg, then it would cause negative feelings in the group, and that would be unkind.

You never know, it could actually turn out to be a great study. The only way you'll know is to keep your word and try it.

• Winner
Reactions: Heartofsilver
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If she purchased the number based upon the commitments of the people in the study, then she also purchased one for you. Since you did commit to go, I think you should pay the $20. She should not be out the money because you changed your mind.
But did she purchase a copy for our friend? We cannot tell for certain from the OP, but I doubt it, considering that the number ordered was 20 on the nose.

Upvote 0