I'm struggling, as an atheist, to turn off notifications...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"it is illogical to think something comes from nothing". Yet it happens. Quantum vacuum fluctuations. They are not comprehensible by you, or me, but nature does not owe it to us to be comprehensible by us.

The rest is special pleading.
I think you will find they are redefining "nothing" as really being something.

Upvote 0

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not interested in playing pidgeon chess.

You had the chance to learn something, you had the chance to show that you were a person sincerely interested in truth.

But instead you chose to strengthen the views that unbelievers like me have about believers like you: that you are so self-absorbed in your little bubble of faith that it is inconceivable for you to be wrong about anything.

If that is what makes you happy... I won't bother you any more.

You ask if I am "a person sincerely interested in truth"? Without any doubt! But, how do you define "truth", and what consists of this "truth"? What is the authority of this?

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Skimming through this thread I didn't see where you have received an answer to your request. So I'll see if I can help you out.

When you see a notification you no longer want to receive click on it so it brings up a page within that thread. Close to the top on the right side of the page across from the page number selections you'll see thread tools and unwatch thread. Click on unwatch thread and it will bring up a window and select both stop receiving alerts and email notifications and then select apply. Hopefully that should work for you.
Thanks for that. I appreciate it. What would be good would an option to unsubscribe from all posts one cannot respond to. Imagine you being presented with stuff you can't reply to. Wouldn't you find that frustrating? Irritating?

Upvote 0

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Atheism is really a non starter, as it is a contradiction in reality. The fact that someone can call themselves and "atheist", must mean that there has to be a "God" there in the first place, for them to be able to deny this. Otherwise they are denying "nothing"!

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Atheism is really a non starter, as it is a contradiction in reality. The fact that someone can call themselves and "atheist", must mean that there has to be a "God" there in the first place, for them to be able to deny this. Otherwise they are denying "nothing"!
Drivel. If you deny unicorns, leprechauns and elves, does that mean you acknowledge their reality?

Upvote 0

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Drivel. If you deny unicorns, leprechauns and elves, does that mean you acknowledge their reality?

There is a big difference. the ONLY reason that you deny the God of the Bible, is because you knew of His existence, and decided I don't really believe in that!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry. I can't make any sense of that.

You could not know of denying God, if you did not know about Him in the first place. He was there from the beginning of time, and it was only "in time", that some began to deny this. this denial is nothing but a rejection of Who God is, and what He says in His Word, the Holy Bible.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You could not know of denying God, if you did not know about Him in the first place. He was there from the beginning of time, and it was only "in time", that some began to deny this. this denial is nothing but a rejection of Who God is, and what He says in His Word, the Holy Bible.
So you say. As I said before, spare us God's ventriloquists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Barry, this is what you told me at the start of this topic:

"Well technically, it is not a belief, but a lack of belief. But yes, I have not believed all my life. We usually all adopt the outlook of the family and social surroundings in which we are brought up. I am no exception."

You here admit that your own "atheism" is due to your "family and social surroundings in which we are brought up". This is what I am saying, that no person is really an "atheist", but rather "rejectors" of what the Holy Bible says about God. Because of events in one's life, and things that they experience in their lives, or see in others, like suffering, and the rise of heinous crimes, and the wickedness of people, they begin to "blame God", and say things like, "if there was a God, why all this suffering and evil", etc. This is really a rejection of Who God is, and what He says in the Bible, through a misunderstanding of the God of the Bible, that He really does care for and love people more than they could ever imagine.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Barry, this is what you told me at the start of this topic:

"Well technically, it is not a belief, but a lack of belief. But yes, I have not believed all my life. We usually all adopt the outlook of the family and social surroundings in which we are brought up. I am no exception."

You here admit that your own "atheism" is due to your "family and social surroundings in which we are brought up". This is what I am saying, that no person is really an "atheist", but rather "rejectors" of what the Holy Bible says about God. Because of events in one's life, and things that they experience in their lives, or see in others, like suffering, and the rise of heinous crimes, and the wickedness of people, they begin to "blame God", and say things like, "if there was a God, why all this suffering and evil", etc. This is really a rejection of Who God is, and what He says in the Bible, through a misunderstanding of the God of the Bible, that He really does care for and love people more than they could ever imagine.
Would that you wish I was confirming your twisted view of things! No. I was brought up with no impediment to understanding a world that does not include any gods. That that understanding does not raise the "problem of evil" is incidental. It is your problem, not mine.

You claim that your "God" says things in the Bible. This is an unsupported assertion.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Barry, Can I ask you if you believe in good and bad, right and wrong, morality and immorality? If so, what then is the basis of this, if not that which the Holy Bible teaches, which the world has adopted?
They are products of evolution and emergent phenomena arising from the need for cooperation in social species. Just google "evolution of morality". There is a vast literature on the subject. I particularly recommend world-leading primatologist Frans de Waal's book, The Bonobo and the Atheist: In Search of Humanism Among the Primates: Frans de Waal: 9780393347791: Amazon.com: Books

He makes a case for religious teaching being the outcome, not the cause of moral sentiments.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.